News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Age is a harsh mistress. I've slipped from half assed morning exercises to thinking about half assed morning exercises and sleeping in. :weep:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

mongers

Quote from: Jaron on May 26, 2013, 08:01:17 PM
Age is a harsh mistress. I've slipped from half assed morning exercises to thinking about half assed morning exercises and sleeping in. :weep:

:cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Even thinking about exercise is exhausting.  :cry:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 27, 2013, 01:20:31 PM
Even thinking about exercise is exhausting.  :cry:

Having to keep bumping this thread is even more taxing.  :(

crazy canuck

Lost another 5 lbs this week.

PDH

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2013, 03:34:54 PM

You know it is in the last place you'll look.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Planning on doing two slightly longer trips next weekend, weather and fitness permitting.  :hmm:

Brazen

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on May 29, 2013, 02:39:29 PM
I'm doing the Butterfield Bootcamp Fitness DVD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acDTfjJsV4

And Prancercise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

Won't a lot of these fitness dvds turn up in charity shops in 12 months time ?   :D

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 26, 2013, 06:54:21 PM
Fourth straight day today of long cycling.  The long holiday weekend means I can spend a couple hours on the road each day.

Today was the first time coming down the big descent I had to fight a headwind, but in a crouch the new bike moves much faster into the wind.  Also, today was the first time I got into an ad hoc group (of 4) for some of the ride.  It does help with the wind, but I like my own pace better, wind and all.

Illness and the coldest spring in 50 years means I haven't done much, all told about 430 miles this month, 300 miles of those were on my single speed 'shopping bike'.

Maybe I should take a leaf out of PDH's book and get a road bike? :unsure: 

Though given the state of the roads around here, possibly not worth it; I came across two potholes today that if a motorcyclist hit them would almost certainly bring them down and cause injure, basically cast iron manhole covers with the potholes having opened up on one side of them.
I shall have to go back at the weekend, photograph them and send to the council.  :hmm:

fhdz

Quote from: PDH on May 27, 2013, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2013, 03:34:54 PM

You know it is in the last place you'll look.

I may have found it <_<
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

Well inspired by PDH I went to my local bike shop at the weekend to look at road bikes; Rob, the Olympic mechanic said I would be better off with a hybrid, so yesterday went into the shed and ferreted out my large frame 700mm hybrid thingy, didn't need much doing to it and took it for a test ride that evening. All told not a bad ride, it fits me better than I remember.

So this evening, I popped out and did a bit over 100 km getting to Stonehenge and back. The bikes not bad, quite a good fit, just need a less comfy saddle and decide on what tyres to put on it. Currently it has some 25mm 300g Michelins, but give the state of the roads I have to get something armoured with a bit more volume. Looking at the state of the tyres they now have a fair few nicks in them, I think I was lucky to get away without a puncture this evening.

Given I haven't been that way since before winter, there was lots of breaking on steep hills, as I didn't want to hit any pot-holes made by the winter weather/SUV drivers. Good job too, as there were some quite bad ones, though now I'm familiar with road condition and have a better grasp of how the bike handles I can push the boat out a bit more.

Funny thing is Rob's done his employer out of a probably sale by giving me the appropriate advice for my situation; top bloke.  :bowler:

PDH

I ended up getting heavy tires, armadillos, for the roads around here.  Pumped up to 110lbs they roll really well and are armored enough to survive the sharp little rocks and the cracks in the asphalt.

Today was windy, but yesterday I did 30 miles averaging over 16mph, not bad for 47.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on June 03, 2013, 08:11:21 PM
yesterday I did 30 miles averaging over 16mph, not bad for 47.

That's good; I just did 9 miles at a bit under 7 mph, and it kicked my ass.

Maybe it would be easier with a bike.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014