News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I rode 12 miles today in 42 degree weather with wind.  I can't wait for April...or maybe May
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on November 30, 2013, 08:11:48 PM
I rode 12 miles today in 42 degree weather with wind.  I can't wait for April...or maybe May

:cool:

Road or back on your mountain bike?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Road bike.  No snow, but lots of wind.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Brazen

I have hip bursitis in one hip and severe restriction of movement that could be wear and tear in the other for which I'm starting physio treatment on Thursday. Combine that with the fact I'm still coughing up lumps two weeks afetr coming down with bronchitis, and I'm on the bench watching my waistline steadily expand until January.

Ideologue

Running.  Sucks.

Just finished four miles.  By which I mean a three and a half mile walk interspersed with about a half mile of desultory jogging and one ill-considered early sprint.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2013, 09:54:40 PM
Running.  Sucks.

Just finished four miles.  By which I mean a three and a half mile walk interspersed with about a half mile of desultory jogging and one ill-considered early sprint.

I know you aren't asking my advice, and this is not the standard advice, but it worked for me when I quit smoking and started running...

I would run every day as far as I could. It wasn't very far at first. I would only run for a few minutes, and as soon as I broke from my run I would go home. But each day I would go a house or two further (in part by discovering how to run slower and slower). Within a few weeks I was going 20+ minutes, and once you hit that threshold, improvements come quickly, and you can start thinking about how to run at a pace that won't see old ladies pass you.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Incidentally, today is the first day I will run in almost a month (I had a big vacation that involved lots of hiking). It will be interesting to see how much I deteriorated. I want to run a marathon in the late March / early April timeframe, so I really hope I don't suck too bad.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on December 28, 2013, 07:58:16 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 27, 2013, 09:54:40 PM
Running.  Sucks.

I know you aren't asking my advice, and this is not the standard advice, but it worked for me when I quit smoking and started running...

I would run every day as far as I could. It wasn't very far at first. I would only run for a few minutes, and as soon as I broke from my run I would go home. But each day I would go a house or two further (in part by discovering how to run slower and slower). Within a few weeks I was going 20+ minutes, and once you hit that threshold, improvements come quickly, and you can start thinking about how to run at a pace that won't see old ladies pass you.

I'm always happy to hear your advice.  I'm going to try to run every other day, alternating with days I work out.  If the past is any guide (granted, the "past" is now over "thirteen years ago" I'll kickstart my cardiovascular system back into "running mode."  Although right now I've got coldlike symptoms. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points