News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 04, 2013, 09:02:32 PM
I turn the tv to an old movie channel and that keeps me going a lot longer.

Try baseball.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Liep

So I did the 13.3km run in 1 hour 21 minutes, a little over the goal of 1:20. But I'm quite content, a lot of the way it was impossible to run any faster due to the 15000 runners in front of me clogging up the road.

Longest run I've ever done. Junk food incoming.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on October 06, 2013, 08:06:16 AM
So I did the 13.3km run in 1 hour 21 minutes, a little over the goal of 1:20. But I'm quite content, a lot of the way it was impossible to run any faster due to the 15000 runners in front of me clogging up the road.

Longest run I've ever done. Junk food incoming.

:cool:

Not too shabby for an old lag.  :bowler:     

(britspeak for actually rather impressed)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Even when in shape I can't run for an hour straight.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Did a bit over 24 miles in 1.5 hours this afternoon, to test out some slower crippy, armoured tyres on the hybrid bike, in preparation for autumn and winter weather. Overall OK and usable. 

PDH

The road bike is close to being relegated to pasture for the winter.  Have to see how this next week is.  Mountain bike is still ready for about town in all but blizzard weather.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on October 06, 2013, 03:53:03 PM
The road bike is close to being relegated to pasture for the winter.  Have to see how this next week is.  Mountain bike is still ready for about town in all but blizzard weather.

Good plan, I'm not relying on thin tyres this winter. 

Have been attempting to build two rough and ready shopping/off-road bikes out of the disorganised pile of junk/spares I have; this weekend I have mainly been  :hmm:  :huh:  <_<  :hmm: .

Legbiter

Today's workout:

As many rounds as possible for 20 minutes.

200m sprint.

4 rounds of:
5 burpees.
5 pushups.

Got to 4 and a half rounds thereabouts. Lost the will to live twice during those 20 minutes, but didn't die.

Wednesday I think I'm just going to lift heavy stuff.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Darth Wagtaros

I tried that SMith machine thing for some squats today.  Its a death trap.

I did some dumbell presses since I don't want to drop the barbell on my throat or something. 
PDH!

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 04, 2013, 09:22:27 PM
It's only 47.

And if Sav reads this, I hope he knows I'm kidding. :)

You were right the first time; I do watch old movies while on the cardio machines.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Drakken

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 07, 2013, 01:38:48 PM
I tried that SMith machine thing for some squats today.  Its a death trap.

Serves you right for doing sissies' squats. :nelson: Seriously, Smith bench machines are only good when you need a machine variation for military presses.

If you want to learn how to squat, do it the right way : free barbell, bar on your shoulders, no tampon on the bar, ass out and you lower your body until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor. Set the rack bars on the sides low enough so that they are about an inch underneath you when you in downward position, so that if the weight is too heavy all you need to do is roll it off and let it fall. If you need to start with the bar only, then do it and increase from there.

fhdz

I promised myself at the beginning of September that by my birthday - in preparation for a life-alteringly-badass ski weekend at gorgeous Timberline Lodge - I would drop 30 lbs and get my sorry ass in shape. Well, September rolled by and aside from eating a little better, I didn't really get started.

But this week I've settled into a routine: every weekday morning when I wake up at 6:00, I do a series of burpees (10, then 9, then 8, etc. down to 1) with 30-second planks in between each set. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays after work, I'm running 5K.

If I can keep it under 1900 calories a day or so, I will definitely lose the weight I want and more importantly get back in shape by the middle of February.
and the horse you rode in on

Legbiter

I was a category 3 lardass fahdiz a couple years back and what worked for me was a semi-Paleo diet combined with Crossfit and a lot of slow walking. I didn't count calories at all, I basically ate as much as I wanted of meat, fish, fowl, eggs and vegetables, nuts & fruits, basically very nutrient dense and satiating (high fat) foods. I cut out all grains, industrial seed oils, sugar and HFCS.

Basically anything that comes in a box.

I didn't get fat overnight. And I didn't lose the fat overnight.

But after the first 2 weeks of this way of eating I started losing weight at a steady clip (say, 2 lbs. a week) and I went from 240 lbs. to 167 lbs.

Now I'm at 185 lbs. but I still fit into the same same clothes I did at 167, so the difference seems to be lean muscle mass I've added in the last year or so via my lifting heavy things routine.

Executive summary: Think lifestyle change for long term results and not just a crash course, quick-fix diet. Oh and eat steak & eggs. A lot.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: fhdz on October 08, 2013, 08:52:46 AM
But this week I've settled into a routine: every weekday morning when I wake up at 6:00, I do a series of burpees (10, then 9, then 8, etc. down to 1) with 30-second planks in between each set. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays after work, I'm running 5K.

For skiing I recommend squat jumps instead of burpies.  Also do some one legged squats with the off leg back behind resting on an elevated surface.

If you cant do that yet then do some regular squats and wall sits until your legs are strong enough to graduate to the squat jumps and one legged squats.

The planks in between are good but try to work yourself up to at least  1 minute asap.

Skiing is all about core strength, balance and your ability to hold a semi squat as you go down the hill.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!