And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: ulmont on October 01, 2013, 09:15:02 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 01, 2013, 08:59:49 AM
What's a single under? Is it better than a married under?

Jumping rope, with the rope only going under your feet once each jump.  More the default by contrast to the double under, where the rope goes under your feet twice with teach jump.

That doesn't seem physically possible.

Anyway, why does my body seem to top out at around 40 push ups?  I mean, I was doing 41, then took a day off--which usually helps--and--one day!--and I didn't have anything left at 37.  I think I might still be not getting enough protein.  Ever since I became a vegetarian, I've been in failing health.  Unfortunately, I can't scientifically blame it on that, because I can't control for aging. <_<

Maybe I should try that Paul Ryan Murder Gauntlet that ulmont's doing.  Dude went to Duke or whatever; he shouldn't be able to kick my ass too.

On a slightly related note, why are so many of the stockers at Wal-Mart fat?  It's a physical job, for Christ's sake, there's no ready excuse (not even, really, the old standby of "metabolism").  Is it their underdeveloped central nervous systems?  Is it because their hours were cut due to Obamacare?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2013, 04:32:25 AM
Anyway, why the fuck does my body seem to top out at around 40 push ups?  I mean, I was doing 41, then took a day off--which usually helps--and--one day!--and I didn't have anything left at 37. 
When you reach your limit, move your feet apart to reduce the resistance to finish your target amount, which will make upping your"proper" push-up total easier next time you try.

Ideologue

Seems reasonable.  Will do. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Legbiter

Ever since I became a vegetarian, I've been in failing health.  Unfortunately, I can't scientifically blame it on that, because I can't control for aging. <_<

:o

Eat lots of steak and eggs, sauteed in real butter, with some vegetables on the side as a condiment and you'll feel and function much better. Try it for a month and report back on what an awesome square-jawed specimen of strapping manhood you've become.

Vegetarian dudes get bitch tits and feel miserable all the time.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on October 03, 2013, 05:15:34 PM

:o

Eat lots of steak and eggs, sauteed in real butter, with some vegetables on the side as a condiment and you'll feel and function much better. Try it for a month and report back on what an awesome square-jawed specimen of strapping manhood you've become.

Vegetarian dudes get bitch tits and feel miserable all the time.

Legbiter, vegetarian guys that are very careful about their diet can be quite fit. I am confident Ide is taking the right steps. For example, I remember he stepped up his chocolate chip cookie consumption at Subway when he realized his protein intake might be low.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2013, 05:28:04 PMLegbiter, vegetarian guys that are very careful about their diet can be quite fit. I am confident Ide is taking the right steps. For example, I remember he stepped up his chocolate chip cookie consumption at Subway when he realized his protein intake might be low.

Most vegetarian guys are either fat (shovel a pound of pasta in your face along with a Big Gulp and you're still a model vegetarian) or skinny fat wastrels who look like they would blow over in a stiff gale.

More importantly, Ide himself tells us his health is failing and guesses it's his age catching up to him. Er, Ide is a man in his 30's, not his late 60's. he should be enjoying his peak physical years now and for another decade at least, not feeling depressed spooning up fagass bean curds and shit.

So I suggest a little n = 1 experiment for a month where he eats ad libidum of fatty meat (bacon, steaks in all guises, fish, fowl, etc) with vegetables, fruits and nuts and cuts out all grains, industrial seed oils, HFCS and sugar. If he does that for a month I'm certain Ide will feel and function 100 times better than now. And if he dosen't like it, well the Cheerios and soy "meat" will still be there in the middles aisles when the month's up.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

That doesn't seem physically possible.

Anyway, why does my body seem to top out at around 40 push ups?  I mean, I was doing 41, then took a day off--which usually helps--and--one day!--and I didn't have anything left at 37.  I think I might still be not getting enough protein.  Ever since I became a vegetarian, I've been in failing health.  Unfortunately, I can't scientifically blame it on that, because I can't control for aging. <_<

Maybe I should try that Paul Ryan Murder Gauntlet that ulmont's doing.  Dude went to Duke or whatever; he shouldn't be able to kick my ass too.

On a slightly related note, why are so many of the stockers at Wal-Mart fat?  It's a physical job, for Christ's sake, there's no ready excuse (not even, really, the old standby of "metabolism").  Is it their underdeveloped central nervous systems?  Is it because their hours were cut due to Obamacare?

Ide, to respond seriously, without knowing your full routine, I suspect you aren't exercising a lot/putting a lot of emphasis on pushups. Anytime you focus on one exercise you will reach a point of diminishing returns.

Also, just by their nature, pushups aren't created equal. Depending on hand placement, foot placement, speed, etc., 37 pushups may equal or exceed 41.

I suspect that some Wal Mart workers are obese because they don't get enough exercise. Like doing 40 pushups and a few jumping jacks, stocking the shelves at Wal Mart isn't very much high intensity work if that is all you do.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

I get the feeling I won't being doing a lot of exercise this month; finally got rid of today's back/neck pain, I suspect because not being doing a lot of exercise. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Actually, by failing health I really just mean losing my hair, and also the former pack-a-day habit catching up to me hard around age 29.

In any event, I've decided to up protein to 80g a day and I DO OTHER STUFF THAN PUSH-UPS AL.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on October 03, 2013, 06:35:49 PM
Actually, by failing health I really just mean losing my hair, and also the former pack-a-day habit catching up to me hard around age 29.

In any event, I've decided to up protein to 80g a day and I DO OTHER STUFF THAN PUSH-UPS AL.

Ide, it would be helpful to understand what your exercise routine is in order to answer the question. You've posted about doing one set of pushups a day, possibly to be increased, and jumping jacks.

Ideologue

OK, this is what I did today:

N.B. all arm stuff means that much for each arm, so "12" means 12 right, 12 left.

One set 37 pushups (should be 40, but whatever I guess).
One set 35 pushups.
One set 60 situps (I'm back on that horse, gains will be quick until I'm doing multiple sets of 120).
Two sets 12 X 30lbs. arm curls (might do another in a minute).
One set 20 X 15 lbs arm curls.
One set 8 X 30 lbs. robot arm (or whatever it's called when you move your forearm from your side to beneath your chin, parallel to your body).
One set 12 X 30 lbs. lift shit from your collarbone to maximum extension.
One set 20 X 15 lbs. Shoryukens (may not be actual technical term, sort of like an uppercut).
One set 40 X 30 lbs. tricep lifts.
One set 10 X 15 lbs. lifting from behind my back (I thought I saw somebody do it in a movie once; this may be useless).
One set 60 compressions of those little handheld things that exercise your forearm muscles.
One set 60 jumping jacks.
Two sets running up the broken escalator at work.

But the central stuff are pushups, situps, and bicep curls, with tricep stuff thrown in when I feel like it.

I want a bench and maybe 200lbs. of weight for Christmas.  I think that'd be a good benching goal. :)  (Or maybe I can do it right now, I have no idea.)
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Ide, a guideline I use is that any of the weight type exercises should be done in 4 sets of about 12-15, with 45 seconds of rest between sets, so that at the end you are challenged a bit.

I counted 8 sets with weights (excluding sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, and hand exercises). It seems you have a lot of variety but not a lot of sets. Maybe do more sets? I'm also not sure where you got the routine from.

Sine push ups seem to be your measuring stick, I think you should do more than 2 sets. However, I would think that with this routine, and proper rest and diet, you should be able to do more than 40 pushups (unless you just started). Something seems off.

Btw, if you try to bench 200 now, I suggest you have a very strong and reliable spotter.  :P

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ideologue

To be honest, today was more active than usual. :Embarrass:
Kinemalogue