News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2013, 06:49:17 PM
That can't be true.  If everybody ran, they wouldn't be special, and their advantages would dissipate while the work required remained the same. :hmm:

:P

If everybody ran, health care would probably be cheaper. Also, women would be skinnier. You should be all over that.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

I've been told I need to find a winter sport so I'm not totally miserable when it gets cold and snowy up here.  I fell off a chairlift and broke my leg as a kid the one time my parents tried to take us downhill skiing. :Embarrass:  So I'm ruling that out.  Cross-country skiing seems like good exercise, though.  And I'd like to try snow-shoeing some time.  Also might be fun to try ice-skating again for the first time in probably 10 years, but there's usually too many children at a given time to do it alone and not feel awkward, I think.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Maybe you should stop making excuses to run, CM.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on September 27, 2013, 07:12:29 PM
Maybe you should stop making excuses to run, CM.

^_^  Put some Skoal in your lip and some New Balances on your feet.

Really, though, I feel you. :console:  I'd like to drop 5-10 pounds too, and your take on sit-ups is a great excuse not to do them either.  :)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

alfred russel

For my own fitness update, I'm tentatively planning to try running a sub 4 hour marathon next spring. "Tentatively" because I'm not going to commit until I'm comfortably running 15 miles at a sub 9 min/mile pace (I'm at 11 now).

This will undoubtedly join a growing list of running goals I've set and failed to achieve.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

Cross Country is fun Mihali.

I'm planning on trying out skijoring this winter for me and my dog so she keeps getting exercise, well that on top of going to gym.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

Did 16km mountain biking today, goddamn that is tough work. Fun though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: katmai on September 28, 2013, 09:37:24 AM
I'm planning on trying out skijoring this winter for me and my dog

:D  That looks phenomenal. 

Probably best not attempted with cats though.

Ideologue

Man, my cats couldn't even avoid walking through where I dropped a light bulb today.*  I'm not trusting them to avoid dangerous ice.

*I yelled at one to stay away.  This scared her, so she ran through it.  Miracuously, she's fine. :rolleyes:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Brazen

I've entered a charity 5K race for Movember. I will be sporting a fake moustache.

mongers

Managed a little over 450miles on the bikes last month, I think the weather and the mountain of bike repairs* I need to do will happer me this month.

* one out of four, and two need complete rebuilds.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Today's crossfit workout was

As many rounds as possible for 10 minutes.

100 single unders

10 squats

10 pushups

10 burpees.

got to 4 and half rounds before collapsing from exhaustion. Good use of 10 minutes.  :showoff:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

What's a single under? Is it better than a married under?

Darth Wagtaros

What's a burpee? Do you pound down a Big Gulp and then exhale?
PDH!

ulmont

Quote from: Brazen on October 01, 2013, 08:59:49 AM
What's a single under? Is it better than a married under?

Jumping rope, with the rope only going under your feet once each jump.  More the default by contrast to the double under, where the rope goes under your feet twice with teach jump.

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 01, 2013, 09:10:49 AM
What's a burpee? Do you pound down a Big Gulp and then exhale?

Standing  up -> squat -> kick to pushup position -> return to squat position -> stand up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee_(exercise)