And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on May 16, 2013, 05:26:04 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 15, 2013, 08:23:23 PM
You should have kicked their ass for hitting on your woman.
:sleep:

Specifically, she was asking how often men think about sex and said she heard college guys think about sex at least once every 600 seconds.  As soon as I heard what they were talking about I 'wandered off' into the sparring dojo to practice.

Every ten minutes?  What are they, queer?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

I've been training rather extensively for several months with a goal of a sub 50 minute 10k that is in 6 weeks....I'm beginning to get frustrated and doubt I'll make it. To make my time I need to run the 10k at about 8 min/mile, and about a month ago I made a 3 mile run in 23:16--I thought I was in great shape. But I have really not progressed despite running 6 days a week--last night I tried a 5 mile run in 41 minutes and didn't make it (I probably could have finished but it was beginning to feel like torture).

I'm bumping up my long run today to 9 miles, which I do at a 9 min/mile pace, and these long runs don't give me any trouble. So on the up side I at least think that in a few months I'll be able to do a sub 2 hour half marathon without much difficulty. But it is the sub 50 minute 10k that I really want to achieve.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

Get a bike. That will help those splits.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Brazen

Did a 15K night hike on Friday, which left me so wired and hurty I couldn't sleep. I met my old running coach there who persuaded me to come back this morning. The Eurovision party was probably not the the best fuel... Been too exhausted to lift my head off the sofa all afternoon. I so don't push myself when I run alone.

Brazen

Quote from: PDH on May 19, 2013, 11:54:06 AM
And join a running club. P

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on May 19, 2013, 11:54:06 AM

Probably also the shin splints.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

I did 65 miles in the past 2 days on the new bike.  I will have to ride farther in order to get the same time on bike that I had...I seem to get 1-2 mph more on the road bike.

Not too shabby for a new bike that still hasn't fully settled in.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 19, 2013, 01:45:28 PM
I did 65 miles in the past 2 days on the new bike.  I will have to ride farther in order to get the same time on bike that I had...I seem to get 1-2 mph more on the road bike.

Not too shabby for a new bike that still hasn't fully settled in.

:cool:

That's a hell of a lot more than I've done this weekend. 

Plus to some extent you'll benefit from having to settle into the bike, no matter how good the initial set up.

What pedals are you using ?

I ask as I got the flatbar road/hybrid out of the shed to give it a run and it had no pedals on it, I'd taken the heavy metal DMR V8 off it before winter, so I stuck some 'plastic' Japanese MKS pedals I had to hand. I have to say a useful improvement.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

Right now just normal pedals.  I didn't want to plunk down the cash on cleats without a lot of background checking - I have one bad foot that can't handle a lot of shoes.  I might just go old school and get toe clips and wear comfortable shoes, I am not too worried about how I look - I am the guy who rides in shorts (with biking pants underneath) and a t-shirt.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2013, 10:53:12 PM
Every ten minutes?  What are they, queer?

The quote was "thinking about sex" not "having sex".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Stupid 40 degrees and rain, no chance for a bike ride this afternoon.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Iormlund

I've been seriously slacking off this year. Weight gain is quite noticeable. :blush:

On the bright side, since I'm being laid off, I'm going to have a lot of free time to correct that. :P
Starting 1st June every day is Gym Day. Biking, too, if summer decides to finally make an appearance. :mad:

crazy canuck

Down 10 lbs.  Now weighing in at 255.  Only 15 lbs to go to reach my goal.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2013, 11:29:06 AM
Down 10 lbs.  Now weighing in at 255.  Only 15 lbs to go to reach my goal.

:cool:

Don't over do it as 250 odd isn't on a large and very tall frame.   :cool:

Haven't done much the last few days, popped out for a bike run up and down the valley to Salisbury, did 40 miles, the first half into a strong headwind, good exercise I guess.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

A good fighting weight for me is about 190 lbs (I'm 5'10", relatively broad-shouldered.) That means I need to lose about 25-30 lbs.

I exercise decently and don't eat a lot of sweet stuff; what I need is greater portion control.
and the horse you rode in on