News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2013

Started by Maladict, December 24, 2012, 09:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2013, 10:57:17 AM
Not to mention getting beaned in the noggin repeatedly.

:lol:
That too.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PDH

I didn't ride sunday, too blustery, so I rode today.  20 miles after work, now I feel right.  It is about time to get back to 80-100 miles of road work each week during the summer.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

This thread is filled with the tall challenged.

Anyway, I went for my now custumary walk to while making a concerted effort to count the number of Canuck flags or Canuck jerseys I could spot along the way.

Number of flags 0
Number of Jerseys 2

I feel as one with my city once again.

Syt

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

QuoteThe Scientific 7-Minute Workout

This column appears in the May 12 issue of The New York Times Magazine.

Exercise science is a fine and intellectually fascinating thing. But sometimes you just want someone to lay out guidelines for how to put the newest fitness research into practice.

An article in the May-June issue of the American College of Sports Medicine's Health & Fitness Journal does just that. In 12 exercises deploying only body weight, a chair and a wall, it fulfills the latest mandates for high-intensity effort, which essentially combines a long run and a visit to the weight room into about seven minutes of steady discomfort — all of it based on science.

"There's very good evidence" that high-intensity interval training provides "many of the fitness benefits of prolonged endurance training but in much less time," says Chris Jordan, the director of exercise physiology at the Human Performance Institute in Orlando, Fla., and co-author of the new article.

Work by scientists at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, and other institutions shows, for instance, that even a few minutes of training at an intensity approaching your maximum capacity produces molecular changes within muscles comparable to those of several hours of running or bike riding.

Interval training, though, requires intervals; the extremely intense activity must be intermingled with brief periods of recovery. In the program outlined by Mr. Jordan and his colleagues, this recovery is provided in part by a 10-second rest between exercises. But even more, he says, it's accomplished by alternating an exercise that emphasizes the large muscles in the upper body with those in the lower body. During the intermezzo, the unexercised muscles have a moment to, metaphorically, catch their breath, which makes the order of the exercises important.

The exercises should be performed in rapid succession, allowing 30 seconds for each, while, throughout, the intensity hovers at about an 8 on a discomfort scale of 1 to 10, Mr. Jordan says. Those seven minutes should be, in a word, unpleasant. The upside is, after seven minutes, you're done.

Original article:
http://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthfitness/Fulltext/2013/05000/HIGH_INTENSITY_CIRCUIT_TRAINING_USING_BODY_WEIGHT_.5.aspx
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

Say, I do believe I'll try that...
and the horse you rode in on

mongers

High Intensity Fad.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2013, 01:36:29 PM
High Intensity Fad.

The great thing about exercise (and nutrition) is that you try something and it either works or it doesn't. I unquestionably have the 7 minutes a day to try this - I may or may not, on any given day, have the hour a day for low-intensity exercise.

I don't treat things like fads; I treat them like experiments. Does this produce desired/expected results? Keep doing it. Does it not? Stop and do something different.

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on May 14, 2013, 01:47:52 PM
High Intensity Fad.

The great thing about exercise (and nutrition) is that you try something and it either works or it doesn't. I unquestionably have the 7 minutes a day to try this - I may or may not, on any given day, have the hour a day for low-intensity exercise.

I don't treat things like fads; I treat them like experiments. Does this produce desired/expected results? Keep doing it. Does it not? Stop and do something different.

:cool:

It's just I'm beginning to see more reports of people having burst blood vessels, strokes from trying out some of these programmes, I suspect they'll be a backlash against them. 

Though for a small subset of people these schemes are useful, but for a larger group short intensity exercise probably has more drawbacks and risks then net positives. For those people promoting a generally more active long- term lifestyle would be more useful ?

Maladict

I've been doing that for ages, but not just 7 minutes. That can't be enough to build up anything useful.

Also, the Eiffel is a fantastic place to go cycling.  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on May 14, 2013, 02:19:18 PM
I've been doing that for ages, but not just 7 minutes. That can't be enough to build up anything useful.

Also, the Eiffel is a fantastic place to go cycling. :cool:

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2013, 02:01:12 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on May 14, 2013, 01:47:52 PM
High Intensity Fad.

It's just I'm beginning to see more reports of people having burst blood vessels, strokes from trying out some of these programmes, I suspect they'll be a backlash against them. 

Though for a small subset of people these schemes are useful, but for a larger group short intensity exercise probably has more drawbacks and risks then net positives. For those people promoting a generally more active long- term lifestyle would be more useful ?

I don't think the goal is "7 minutes of high-intensity workout then eat like a fucking horse all day while sitting on your ass".

I think the notion is "start your day with 7 minutes of high-intensity workout, eat reasonably, and maybe try and walk a bit more instead of driving everywhere in the meantime".

I would guess that if you have a stroke after 7 minutes of high-intensity exercise...you're probably just supposed to die.

PDH

So as an experiment I did 5 days in a row of cycling - all of it hard 14-16 mph riding over hills and with one good climb at least.  I have done 120 miles in that time, nothing on me is too worn out (except my ass from the tiny unpadded bike seat), and I feel good.

My goal of 1200 miles before the snow is looking rather good.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

High Intensity Fad.

Meh, athletes have been doing this for years to get stronger in the small amount of time they have between practices.  The fad is related to workouts that are more extreme then these exercises.

Caliga

So at karate class tonight, before the teen/adult class started one of the 13-year old girls started asking Princesca questions about sex.  Yeah, that wasn't creepy or anything. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Caliga on May 15, 2013, 08:22:10 PM
So at karate class tonight, before the teen/adult class started one of the 13-year old girls started asking Princesca questions about sex.  Yeah, that wasn't creepy or anything. :wacko:

You should have kicked their ass for hitting on your woman.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM