News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I didn't read it.  I'm assuming it's okay.

Strangely, I really, really enjoyed The Flash.  Barry Allen sucks, but Francis Manapul is a beautiful illustrator.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 11:27:49 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:38:39 AM
Why is Jimmy Olsen in that picture, anyway?

Not Tim, the comic book character.  Or is that... wait, that's not Jim Gordon is it?  Nah.

The show might've been good, you know.  It might have involved Bruce Wayne getting a swirlie, which is something I've never thought about before now, but it turns out have always wanted to see.
That's the Riddler.  The green gives it away.

Going from the left, you have:  Clayface, Two-Face, Penguin, Killer Croc, Riddler, Batgirl, Batman, Scarecrow, Catwoman, Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Bane, Mr. Freeze.

I would think that young Bruce Wayne would be unhappy to be in a school composed almost entirely of freaks of nature.  Even if Catwoman was there wearing such a short skirt.  I imagine his family could afford a private school.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2011, 01:11:19 PM
I would think that young Bruce Wayne would be unhappy to be in a school composed almost entirely of freaks of nature.  Even if Catwoman was there wearing such a short skirt.  I imagine his family could afford a private school.
Heroes usually have democratic values, and that means slumming it out in a dead-end public school.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on September 29, 2011, 02:18:18 PM
Heroes usually have democratic values, and that means slumming it out in a dead-end public school.

I thought the Penguin was wealthy as well.  Still it doesn't speak very highly of the intelligence of the Super villain community if they can't discover the identity of Batman when they went to high school with him.  And he was one of the few people who didn't look like a carnival freak.  And he wore a little bat symbol on his shirt.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:27:48 AM

I need to find my copy of the Death of Captain Marvel.  I know it's here somewhere.  More superheroes should die of cancer.  Groundbreaking stuff.

The Question died of cancer.

Darth Wagtaros

Superheroes should stay dead if they croak.  It really is quite meaningless if they kill someone off, he/she will be resurrected soon enough.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 11:27:49 AM
Why is Jimmy Olsen in that picture, anyway?

Not Tim, the comic book character.  Or is that... wait, that's not Jim Gordon is it?  Nah.

The show might've been good, you know.  It might have involved Bruce Wayne getting a swirlie, which is something I've never thought about before now, but it turns out have always wanted to see.
That's the Riddler.  The green gives it away.

Going from the left, you have:  Clayface, Two-Face, Penguin, Killer Croc, Riddler, Batgirl, Batman, Scarecrow, Catwoman, Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Bane, Mr. Freeze.

Does he look happy?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Just started Saga of the Swamp Thing. That shit is intense so far.

Eddie Teach

It might have involved Bruce Wayne getting a swirlie, which is something I've never thought about before now, but it turns out have always wanted to see.

Unlikely, he looks like the captain of the football team.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

So... Loki is a kid and more or less good now?  That's awesome!  I want to read me some Thor now! :yeah:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ideologue

You know how I said the Legion books were awful?  I stuck with Fabian Nicieza and Pete (awesome) Woods' Legion Lost, and it got a lot better.  It's really beautiful looking, and the story... well, isn't terrible.

I did not stick with the actual Legion of Super-Heroes title.  Paul Levitz?  Fuck you, old man.  It's like Chris Claremont when he came back to the X-Men: utter bullshit.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

That Marvel online subscription (60$/year) is still tempting, but I still have 40+ years worth of Iron Man, Spiderman, Iron Man, X-Men, Thor, Avengers, etc. comics on my HD. :(

Though I'd be happy to entertain suggestions on which bits to skip. I like the origin stories and the introduction of the classic villains, but I know there's quite a lot of dreck in between. E.g. for Punisher I decided to just jump into the Garth Ennis era.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

QuoteInherited comic collection expected to fetch $2M
Associated PressBy JAMIE STENGLE | Associated Press – 1 hour 15 minutes ago

DALLAS (AP) — Michael Rorrer said his great aunt once mentioned having comic books she would one day give him and his brother, but it was a passing remark made when they were boys and still into superheroes.

Ruby Wright gave no indication at the time — and she died last February, leaving it unclear — that her late husband's comic collection contained some of the most prized issues ever published. The 345 comics were slated to sell at auction in New York on Wednesday, and were expected to fetch more than $2 million.

Rorrer, 31, of Oxnard, Calif., discovered his great uncle Billy Wright's comics neatly stacked in a basement closet while helping clear out his great aunt's Martinsville, Va., home a few months after her death. He said he thought they were cool but didn't realize until months later how valuable they were.

Rorrer, who works as an operator at a plant where oil is separated from water, said he was telling a co-worker about Captain America No. 2, a 1941 issue in which the hero bursts in on Adolf Hitler, when the co-worker mused that it would be something if he had Action Comics No. 1, in which Superman makes his first appearance.

"I went home and was looking through some of them and there it was," said Rorrer, who then began researching the collection's value in earnest.

He found out that his great uncle had managed as a boy to buy a staggering array of what became the most valuable comic books ever published.

"This is just one of those collections that all the guys in the business think don't exist anymore," said Lon Allen, the managing director of comics for Heritage Auctions, the Dallas-based auction house overseeing the sale.

The collection includes 44 of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide's list of top 100 issues from comics' golden age.

"The scope of this collection is, from a historian's perspective, dizzying," said J.C. Vaughn, associate publisher of Overstreet.

Once Rorrer realized how important the comics were, he called his mother, Lisa Hernandez, 54, of League City, Texas, who had divided them into two boxes. She sent one to him and kept the other one at her house for his brother. Rorrer and his mother then went through their boxes, checking comic after comic off the list.

"I couldn't believe what I had sitting there upstairs at my house," Rorrer said.

Hernandez, who works as an operator in a chemical plant, said it really hit her how valuable the comics were when she saw the look on Allen's face after he came to her house to look through the comics she had there.

"It was kind of hard to wrap my head around it," Allen said.

Rorrer said he only remembers his aunt making the fleeting reference to the comics when she learned that he and his brother, Jonathan Rorrer, now 29 of Houston, liked comic books. He said his great uncle, who died in 1994 at age 66, never mentioned his collection.

The Action Comics No. 1 — which Wright bought when he was about 11 — is expected to sell for about $325,000. A Detective Comics No. 27, the 1939 issue that features the first appearance of Batman, is expected to get about $475,000. And the Captain America No. 2 with Hitler on the cover that had caught Rorrer's eye? That's expected to bring in about $100,000.

Allen, who called the collection "jaw-dropping," noted that Wright "seemed to have a knack" for picking up the ones that would be the most valuable and managed to keep them in good condition. The core of his collection is from 1938 to 1941.

Hernandez said it makes sense that her uncle — even as a boy — had a discerning eye. The man who went to The College of William and Mary before having a long career as a chemical engineer for DuPont was smart, she said. And, she added, Wright was an only child whose mother kept most everything he had. She said that they found games from the 1930s that were still in their original boxes.

"There were some really hard to find books that were in really, really great condition," said Paul Litch, the primary grader at Certified Guaranty Company, an independent certification service for comic books.

"You can see it was a real collection," Litch said. "Someone really cared about these and kept them in good shape."
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

I wish I still had my woody woodpecker comics.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive