And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

One of my kids today had a big thick color graphic novel.

I glanced at the title and saw Starcraft. I picked it up and flipped through it and was disappointed in the extreme. This was not a comic about war and carnage among the stars, but of pro-gamers on the Starcraft circuit. :bleeding:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 18, 2011, 02:03:30 AM
One of my kids today had a big thick color graphic novel.

I glanced at the title and saw Starcraft. I picked it up and flipped through it and was disappointed in the extreme. This was not a comic about war and carnage among the stars, but of pro-gamers on the Starcraft circuit. :bleeding:

I could see that working.  I'm sure those characters are unbelievably fucked up emotional retards.  Well, Welcome to the NHK is supposed to be good, anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

BuddhaRhubarb

The upcoming DC relaunch of everything? I hate it on principle. I'm sure there will be some good stuff happening. But I was digging alot of the comics as they were. and the renumbering will only last until Detective reaches it's next milestone number at 900 in less than two years. sigh. the more things change...
:p

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 21, 2011, 11:36:54 AM
The upcoming DC relaunch of everything? I hate it on principle. I'm sure there will be some good stuff happening. But I was digging alot of the comics as they were. and the renumbering will only last until Detective reaches it's next milestone number at 900 in less than two years. sigh. the more things change...
Well, DC has made a decision to drop back into the bad old days of the 90s when everything was always about having as many #1s on the stands as possible.  Looking back, it all started for fall apart for DC around Infinite Crisis, and they really haven't been able to recover since the unmitigated disaster that was Final Crisis.  They're a company that is floundering around without direction, only in it for the shock value.  Even Green Lantern, which was some of the best stuff happening a few years ago, has fallen into shadow, with Brightest Day being totally uninteresting.  The Titans are ruined by the presence of the new Robin, and the book with the old JLI/Superbuddies has been damaged by the absence of Ted Kord.  Right now, the only thing that DC is doing that I'm really enjoying is, surprisingly, Power Girl.  I thought that it was going to be a cheesecake book, but it's actually fun and clever.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 21, 2011, 11:31:20 AM
Quote from: katmai on July 21, 2011, 01:16:56 AM
Amazing!
more 3D hoohaw. meh.
Yep.  Maybe I'll see it when it comes out on the movie channels.  I'm all Spidermanned out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on July 21, 2011, 01:11:39 PM
Well, DC has made a decision to drop back into the bad old days of the 90s when everything was always about having as many #1s on the stands as possible.  Looking back, it all started for fall apart for DC around Infinite Crisis, and they really haven't been able to recover since the unmitigated disaster that was Final Crisis.  They're a company that is floundering around without direction, only in it for the shock value.  Even Green Lantern, which was some of the best stuff happening a few years ago, has fallen into shadow, with Brightest Day being totally uninteresting.  The Titans are ruined by the presence of the new Robin, and the book with the old JLI/Superbuddies has been damaged by the absence of Ted Kord.  Right now, the only thing that DC is doing that I'm really enjoying is, surprisingly, Power Girl.  I thought that it was going to be a cheesecake book, but it's actually fun and clever.

stuff that's been good recently (non vertigo) imo (all of which is being discarded.)

Power Girl
LSH & Adventure comics (also Legion)
Superboy
Batman & Robin
Detective Comics

everything else is yeah kind o treading water.

Don't get me started on the Superman and Lois not being married anymore. sigh... worse than Spidey & MJ.

Darth Wagtaros

I'm going to start reading Invincible. 

PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 22, 2011, 12:13:36 PM

stuff that's been good recently (non vertigo) imo (all of which is being discarded.)

Power Girl
Superboy
Batman & Robin
Detective Comics

Don't get me started on the Superman and Lois not being married anymore. sigh... worse than Spidey & MJ.

Secret Six is (well, soon "was") great.  That and Booster Gold were the only things I was picking up on a regular basis.  Soon, I will be picking up nothing on a regular basis!  This is well, since I have no money.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2011, 12:17:30 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 22, 2011, 12:13:36 PM

Power Girl
Superboy
Batman & Robin
Detective Comics

Secret Six is (well, soon "was") great.  That and Booster Gold were the only things I was picking up on a regular basis.  Soon, I will be picking up nothing on a regular basis!  This is well, since I have no money.

ya I dug those two as well, though recently I guess with the coming reboot they've been treading water a bit. I don't like "Rhodes Scholar" Bane so much.

BuddhaRhubarb

some bargain bin scores today over on Main Street.: Alias trades vol 2 & 3. (i have 4, need 1) and The recent "Creeper" Trade by Steve Niles. One of the only versions of the Creeper that's done kinda right. No one except Niles and Ditko have ever managed the right kind of "Creeper" .

Ideologue

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 22, 2011, 12:20:12 PM
ya I dug those two as well, though recently I guess with the coming reboot they've been treading water a bit. I don't like "Rhodes Scholar" Bane so much.

Well, he was always supposed to be smart.  Although he is played pretty bizarrely through the series; one of the neat things about the ending is that he's going back to basics, and killin' Batman.

Lately, I've been reading the old Lois Lane books.  Those things are fucking insane.
Kinemalogue