News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PRC

Quote from: The Larch on August 19, 2011, 06:24:02 AM
I recently started reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadstar, a 1980s sci-fi comic that a friend of mine raved about. Has anyone here read it? Any comments?

I loved Dreadstar... the first series was excellent, awesome art and your typical Starlin fantastic sci-fi work. 

Neil

Barbara Gordon as a love interest for Bruce Wayne?  Inappropriate.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: PRC on September 23, 2011, 10:13:16 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 19, 2011, 06:24:02 AM
I recently started reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadstar, a 1980s sci-fi comic that a friend of mine raved about. Has anyone here read it? Any comments?

I loved Dreadstar... the first series was excellent, awesome art and your typical Starlin fantastic sci-fi work.

I found the... what was it?  Instrumentality?  To be overreminiscent of the Universal Church of Truth.  I liked what I read of Dreadstar, but it was no Warlock.

I need to find my copy of the Death of Captain Marvel.  I know it's here somewhere.  More superheroes should die of cancer.  Groundbreaking stuff.

I've been reading a fair amount of the DC new 52.  Mostly ungood, but not completely dire.  Animal Man's great, Batwoman is still very prettily made, Wonder Woman was interesting, By contrast, however, Grifter and the Legion books were awful.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 10:19:20 AM
Barbara Gordon as a love interest for Bruce Wayne?  Inappropriate.
That's your response!  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Why is Jimmy Olsen in that picture, anyway?

Not Tim, the comic book character.  Or is that... wait, that's not Jim Gordon is it?  Nah.

The show might've been good, you know.  It might have involved Bruce Wayne getting a swirlie, which is something I've never thought about before now, but it turns out have always wanted to see.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2011, 10:38:39 AM

Not Tim, the comic book character.  Or is that... wait, that's not Jim Gordon is it?  Nah.

The show might've been good, you know.  It might have involved Bruce Wayne getting a swirlie, which is something I've never thought about before now, but it turns out have always wanted to see.
That's the Riddler.  The green gives it away.

Going from the left, you have:  Clayface, Two-Face, Penguin, Killer Croc, Riddler, Batgirl, Batman, Scarecrow, Catwoman, Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Bane, Mr. Freeze.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Dude, the names are right at the bottom of the pic.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 23, 2011, 11:32:42 AM

Dude, the names are right at the bottom of the pic.
Yeah, but in very small print that nobody noticed.

Darth Wagtaros

Looks like it should never see the light of day again in any case.
PDH!

BuddhaRhubarb

Read most of the new 52, only buying a few, though.

good out of the gate were:

Animal Man
Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
I, Vampire
Resurrection Man

most of the Superman & Batman titles were decent but not spectacular... Batwoman & Batgirl being the best of the bunch actually.

everything else I read was okay or terrible. I imagine this list will get smaller as time passes.

as to the "continuity"? who cares? It's not like they don't re-invent the whole schmeer every few years anyway.
:p

Ideologue

Batwoman was always going to be good.  J.H. Williams III is a living god.
Kinemalogue

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!