News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So Captain America is an anti-democratic tool of The Man to keep the populace in line?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2012, 01:34:24 AM
So Captain America is an anti-democratic tool of The Man to keep the populace in line?
How can he be a tool of The Man if he's fighting the government and the press?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

He was gunned down after being put in prison like a dog Tim. :(
PDH!

Ideologue

Tim, in response to your request, I have no idea, although I expect that for the 70 years of clinical death he experienced, Steve Rogers would not be paid.

He was also a government employee.  He would not own the Captain America persona (which he didn't even come up with anyway).

I don't know how likenesses are licensed--I know people have an interest in them, but that's as far as I grasp the issue.  At a guess, I'd say that as a public and political figure, his likeness could be used like that of Stalin, Roosevelt, or any other historical WWII hero, at least in that capacity, free of charge.  E.g. Schwarzenegger had to be paid for Terminator Salvation, but you would not have to pay him for a biopic afaik.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Lol! :lol:

Apparently in the DC reboot they've taken the Amazons deep in the direction of the original myth. They reproduce by sneaking on ships, sexing up the sailors and then killing them. Any male children are basically slaves.

Now this would be fine if Wonder Woman and the Amazons were new creations, but given the 70 years of history as subversion of classical Greek misogyny (and as a feminist icon in general) this has unfortunate implications.

Maybe they should have the Kents come out as former KKK members or have it turn out that the Wayne's were actually secret crime lords. That'll be EDGY and give the heroes some moral ANGST!  :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 26, 2012, 07:49:00 PM
Meh.  Don't care.
Lame.

You could at least be contrary and make an argument on why it's a great change.

Plus, why bother posting if you don't care one way or the other?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

So I finally got Waid, Rivera, and Marcos' Daredevil, and it is way fucking sweet.

Although it turns out even Waid is legally ignorant.  I don't think I've ever seen rules of evidence or procedure properly applied or even loosely approximated in a comic book.  "OBJECTION! COUNSEL IS DAREDEVIL!"

Because apparently this works in the Manhattan Supreme Court, Matt Murdock reorients his law practice to teaching clients how to represent themselves, which is still being a lawyer, just a really lazy one.  I guess Foggy still tries cases.  I feel bad for Foggy.  You know that guy does 90% of fucking everything, Matt basically lives off his generosity, and how does Matt repay him?  Constantly berates him for being fat.  Maybe Matt's still pissed about that time that Kingpin ruined his life and while he was being drowned in a car pushed off a pier Foggy Nelson was fucking his girlfriend.  That was pretty hilarious.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 21, 2012, 02:05:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 21, 2012, 01:34:24 AM
How can he be a tool of The Man if he's fighting the government and the press?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

In the Marvel-verse he fought with the first integrated unit, the Howling Commandos.

As for the 2nd two panels, he came from 1945 not 1645.  :rolleyes:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

It's pretty funny, although it's the same joke that Chris Burns and company did with their Avengers Assemble parody.

"THE JAPS!"
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 02, 2012, 10:47:18 AM
It's pretty funny, although it's the same joke that Chris Burns and company did with their Avengers Assemble parody.

"THE JAPS!"
Link?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

www.typeinAvengersAssembleintoYoutube.com.

But some are really great, a couple are mediocre, and one has Stan Lee.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

After watching Avengers I started thinking how I would make a Justice League movie franchise.

I'd start with "The Man of Steel", it would be a movie heavily inspired by De'Haven's "It's Superman" and be set in the 1930s. Rather than an alderman Luther would be a billionaire who'd been elected Mayor, and his robots more numerous and a lot more badass. It would be shot in black and white when Kal El is Clark Kent and in color when he's Superman.

There'd be references by characters and meida throughout the film to the Batman in the city of Gotham across the bay. In the end it turns out that the Batman has been keeping an eye on Superman since he arrived in Metropolis, and provides some crucial help in the climax, figuring out how to shut off all the robots rampaging in Metropolis and Gotham and saving Superman from being killed by Luther in a dieselpunk mecha armed with Kryptonite.  The movie ends with Luther in jail and Lex Corp is being bought out by Wayne Enterprises.

The after credits scene would involve Darkseid leaving the charred husk of a planet he's laid waste to in his search for the anti-life equation. The next planet on his list is Earth.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Kleves

Batman and Superman should not inhabit the same universe. Unless your goal is to ruin the Batman movie franchise. Is that your goal, Tim?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.