And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2012, 01:19:27 AM
Oh, and also:

Quote from: NewsaramaThis past weekend at the Kapow convention in London, DC Entertainment co-publisher Dan DiDio announced that an existing character previously established as straight would be revealed to be gay in an upcoming storyline. Though there's no still word on exactly which character he was talking about, the resulting media coverage has revealed some clues to help narrow down the list.
*fingers crossed* Let it be Hal Jordan, let it be Hal Jordan, let it be Hal Jordan...

QuoteIf all these indicators prove to be accurate, DC will be revealing that a male character who is both "iconic" and "key," but hasn't yet been seen since last September's New 52 relaunch, is gay
Aw, fuck, nevermind.  Who cares?  Unless it's Wally West, which would just be retarded.
I'm sure no matter who it is, it'll be retarded.

We know it's not one of the Big Seven, so they won't really be that iconic.  Probably Booster Gold or Beast Boy or some shit.  Maybe the new, crappy, Mexican Blue Beetle.  Or Captain Atom, since that would allow them to hit the 'gays in the military' angle too.

Of course, we all know that this is a desperation move by DC after seeing all the press Marvel was getting with the Northstar wedding, and also because everything they've done for the last few years has been terrible.  The big reboot alienated their core fanbase, and at the same time their shitty movies (excluding Nolan's Batmans) are convincing casual fans that their superheros are a thousand times shittier than Marvel's B-listers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Maybe it'll be the Guardian dude, whatisname.  Or Nightwing.
PDH!

Neil

I'd be surprised if it were one of the Robins, just because that would make the whole 'Batman and Robin' thing so much worse than it is now.  For the same reason (as well as the fact that it would devastate the marketability of the character) Batman is right out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Its marketing anyway.  Doesn't have to be good marketing. 
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on May 23, 2012, 12:57:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2012, 01:19:27 AM
Oh, and also:

Quote from: NewsaramaThis past weekend at the Kapow convention in London, DC Entertainment co-publisher Dan DiDio announced that an existing character previously established as straight would be revealed to be gay in an upcoming storyline. Though there's no still word on exactly which character he was talking about, the resulting media coverage has revealed some clues to help narrow down the list.
*fingers crossed* Let it be Hal Jordan, let it be Hal Jordan, let it be Hal Jordan...

QuoteIf all these indicators prove to be accurate, DC will be revealing that a male character who is both "iconic" and "key," but hasn't yet been seen since last September's New 52 relaunch, is gay
Aw, fuck, nevermind.  Who cares?  Unless it's Wally West, which would just be retarded.
I'm sure no matter who it is, it'll be retarded.

Now, now.  If it were Wonder Woman, it'd be 100% sensible.  And Pete Ross has been known to watch Superboy undress.

QuoteWe know it's not one of the Big Seven, so they won't really be that iconic.  Probably Booster Gold or Beast Boy or some shit.  Maybe the new, crappy, Mexican Blue Beetle.  Or Captain Atom, since that would allow them to hit the 'gays in the military' angle too.

Well, they already showed up.  There isn't an "iconic" character that hasn't shown up since the reboot, unless you twist the definition of that word beyond all recognition--except Wally West, and even that's arguable, since Wally West isn't the icon, and neither is Barry Allen or Jay Garrick or Bart Allen, "The Flash" is.

I guess it could be a villain.  Despero: desperate for dick.

QuoteOf course, we all know that this is a desperation move by DC after seeing all the press Marvel was getting with the Northstar wedding, and also because everything they've done for the last few years has been terrible.  The big reboot alienated their core fanbase, and at the same time their shitty movies (excluding Nolan's Batmans) are convincing casual fans that their superheros are a thousand times shittier than Marvel's B-listers.

Man of Steel will be good, although I wouldn't exclude Batman Begins.  Awful.

But the reboot, if they were going to do it, really needed to be clean.  Then again I'm clearly the only person on Earth who feels like Grant Morrison wasted six years of his life on his shitty Batman comics.  I wish they'd reboot Morrison and get him back to a point in time where he didn't suck.  Maybe right before All-Star Superman, and he can fix it so you don't hope Lois Lane dies every time she opens her mouth.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2012, 05:47:42 PM
Well, they already showed up.  There isn't an "iconic" character that hasn't shown up since the reboot, unless you twist the definition of that word beyond all recognition--except Wally West, and even that's arguable, since Wally West isn't the icon, and neither is Barry Allen or Jay Garrick or Bart Allen, "The Flash" is.
It's Allan Scott.  Looks like they went the 'twist' path, since Hal Jordan is the iconic Green Lantern.

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2012, 10:24:24 PMIn the third episode of Justice League the crew is chilling in the Watch Tower and Super Man asked Batman if his stockholders knew about it.

"It's a line item in the aerospace budget" :bleeding:

Yeah a hundred billion space station that would have taken dozens of launches to assemble even with a Saturn V analogue. No one noticed that. :rolleyes:

I keep thinking about what would really happen if superman really existed. I keep thinking that the (all of them) government would constantly nag him about him spending so much time nabbing muggers when what he really should be doing is stopping genocides and dictatorships and in his spare time fly satellites, space stations and astronauts into orbit while any time left over should be spend cleaning up space junk.

I can't help but think the argument "If you fly this thing up for us you save us 10,000 man years of police salaries" might actually work.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Because stopping genocides and dicatorships is immoral.  Superman is moral.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on June 01, 2012, 12:51:44 PM

I hate that fucking endocrinological morality, where you can feign morality if you don't do anything.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2012, 12:48:07 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2012, 10:24:24 PMIn the third episode of Justice League the crew is chilling in the Watch Tower and Super Man asked Batman if his stockholders knew about it.

"It's a line item in the aerospace budget" :bleeding:

Yeah a hundred billion space station that would have taken dozens of launches to assemble even with a Saturn V analogue. No one noticed that. :rolleyes:

I keep thinking about what would really happen if superman really existed. I keep thinking that the (all of them) government would constantly nag him about him spending so much time nabbing muggers when what he really should be doing is stopping genocides and dictatorships and in his spare time fly satellites, space stations and astronauts into orbit while any time left over should be spend cleaning up space junk.

I can't help but think the argument "If you fly this thing up for us you save us 10,000 man years of police salaries" might actually work.
Check out Irredeemable.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Viking on June 01, 2012, 12:57:40 PM
I hate that fucking endocrinological morality, where you can feign morality if you don't do anything.
And I hate the idea that just because something is unpleasant that it is bad, and that just because you could do something, you must.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 01, 2012, 01:13:04 PM
And I hate the idea that just because something is unpleasant that it is bad, and that just because you could do something, you must.
Isn't that the basis behind every superhero?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 01, 2012, 10:27:17 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 01, 2012, 01:13:04 PM
Isn't that the basis behind every superhero?
No.

Ideologue

I like to think that Superman cares, but refuses to give up his personal life--a life that has to be ratcheted down to normal human speed in order to be functional.  So while he has the ability to create a crimeless, accident-free quasi-idyllic world, but since he's psychologically human, he'd be lonely and sad doing it, and perhaps eventually lose the human persona which he values, and therefore chooses not to.

Tangentially, this should be the core differentiator between him and Supergirl, since she has no personal life since everybody she knew is dead as an MRF and she really oughn't have any human personality, let alone attachments.  But that would actually make Kara Zor-El interesting, and that's unlikely to happen because no one with any particular thoughtfulness has ever actually written a story about Supergirl, at least so far as I can tell, and probably no one ever will.  (At least the Silver Age stuff is fun.  Joe Kelly, by contrast, is the worst comic book writer on planet Earth.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

I'm not sure that Kryptonians are capable of living completely at high speed, at least psychologically.  Remember, they're accustomed to living a very human-like life and they lack superpowers normally.  In fact, the one with the most experience with his powers is Superman himself.