News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Superman's powers have grown over the years.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 09, 2012, 05:58:49 AM
Understatement of the year. Frankly, for most stories a more limited Superman like this would be more interesting. His normal godly self makes him just too invincible. To come up with a plausible challenge you need kryptonite (boring), magic (too contrived), or an alien warlord or God. Nothing on Earth can really cut it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 09, 2012, 06:03:20 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on October 09, 2012, 05:58:49 AM
Understatement of the year. Frankly, for most stories a more limited Superman like this would be more interesting. His normal godly self makes him just too invincible. To come up with a plausible challenge you need kryptonite (boring), magic (too contrived), or an alien warlord or God. Nothing on Earth can really cut it.
Except parenthood.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Practically the whole damn review is about a rape scene, but yet they don't go into specific details. :(

I mean, it's a rape scene and it's Cthulhu, so I know tentacles were involved, and that's really all I need to know. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on October 17, 2012, 11:56:40 PM
Practically the whole damn review is about a rape scene, but yet they don't go into specific details. :(

I mean, it's a rape scene and it's Cthulhu, so I know tentacles were involved, and that's really all I need to know. :bleeding:
Actually, I think it was a fishman gang rape.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Yo dude did you ever see 'Dagon'?  There's a hot Spanish chick in that movie and you get to see her tits.  Then her arms get ripped off. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Meh, the best fishman rape flick remains Humanoids from the Deep. With Doug McClure.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on October 18, 2012, 12:20:51 AM
Meh, the best fishman rape flick remains Humanoids from the Deep. With Doug McClure.
Troy Mclure would have done better.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 18, 2012, 12:01:36 AM
Quote from: Caliga on October 17, 2012, 11:56:40 PM

Actually, I think it was a fishman gang rape.

It was a pretty boring read, in general.  The only thing different from what I've seen in the past in other comics is that it lasted longer.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Deadpool Gangnam Style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-tWlETq8w&NR

Costume could be better. Still, this is about the only hero where this would NOT seem out of character. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

PRC

DC Comics introduces Transgendered character: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/04/transgender-dc-comics-batgirl/

DC Introduces First Transgender Character in Mainstream Comics

By Laura Hudson
    9:30 AM

Once banned from the world of mainstream comic books by the infamous Comics Code Authority, LGBT characters now have a stronger presence in the world of superhero comics than ever before, with gay and lesbian heroes like Batwoman, Northstar and Green Lantern Alan Scott openly declaring who they are — and even getting married. Today, DC Comics told Wired that it will continue to expand the LGBT diversity of its superhero universe by introducing the first openly transgender character in a mainstream superhero comic.

In Batgirl #19, on sale today in both print and digital formats, the character Alysia Yeoh will reveal that she is a transwoman in a conversation with her roommate, Barbara Gordon (aka Batgirl). Taking care to distinguish Yeoh's sexual orientation from her gender identity, Batgirl writer Gail Simone noted that the character is also bisexual.

Simone attributed the inspiration for the character to a conversation she had with fellow comic book writer Greg Rucka several years ago at the Wondercon convention, after a fan asked why there were fewer gay male superheroes than lesbian ones. Rucka, who co-created (and rebooted) Batwoman as a lesbian character, replied that it would be a real sign of change for a gay male character to appear on a comic book cover — and an even bigger step for a transgender character to do the same.

"I looked out into the audience, saw dozens of faces I knew well — LGBTQ folks, mostly — all avid comics readers and superhero fans and DC supporters," said Simone. "And it just hit me: Why was this so impossible? Why in the world can we not do a better job of representation of not just humanity, but also our own loyal audience?"

Simone suggested the story to DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio at lunch one day, prepared to offer a passionate defense for the idea of a transgender character. "I thought I might have to sell it, so to speak," said Simone. "But he just paused for a moment, asked how this would affect Barbara's story, and immediately approved it. And we went back to our excellent nachos."

Still, Simone believes that diversity isn't just a continuing issue for superhero comics: "It's the issue for superhero comics. Look, we have a problem most media don't have, which is that almost all the tentpoles we build our industry upon were created over a half century ago... at a time where the characters were almost without exception white, cis-gendered, straight, on and on. It's fine — it's great that people love those characters. But if we only build around them, then we look like an episode of The Andy Griffith Show for all eternity."

She added that she thinks most superhero comics readers don't have a problem with increased diversity, but rather with stories that promote sermonizing over storytelling. Alysia will be "a character, not a public service announcement ... being trans is just part of her story. If someone loved her before, and doesn't love her after, well — that's a shame, but we can't let that kind of thinking keep comics in the 1950s forever."

Although Alysia Yeoh may be the first ongoing transgender character in a mainstream superhero book, Simone notes that there have been transgender characters before in independent comics and mature readers titles; and even in the Marvel and DC superhero universes, several characters have achieved gender-fluidity through fantastical means like magic, shape-shifting, brain-swapping, and cloning. "Those characters exist [and] that's great, but I wanted to have trans characters who aren't fantasy-based. And I feel like there's a lot there yet to do."

To that end, Simone says she will add another transgender character to a different comic that she's writing — though she can't talk about which one. "It's time for a trans hero in a mainstream comic. I think it's time to make that thing happen that Greg [Rucka] mentioned years ago. And it's going to happen ... I'm sure it's controversial on some level to some people, but honest to God, I just could not care less about that. If someone gets upset, so be it; there are a thousand other comics out there for those people."