News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2012, 10:01:26 PM
I'm sure there are tons of surgeons who form hundred billion dollar real estate empires.

No wonder you can't past the bar. Idiot.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2012, 09:55:58 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 18, 2012, 04:00:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2012, 03:15:09 PM
Austrian economics.

What's the deal with Bruce Wayne's money, anyway?  He didn't start the company.  His dad didn't start the company, his dad was a surgeon (and surgeons are rich but are they likely to start and run multi-hundred-billion dollar technology/weapons firms?).  Maybe he actually inherited it from Martha.

He created the DC equivalent of Facebook?

I dunno, he invented an AI and shot a constellation of satellites into orbit once.  I hated that.  It's like no one has any idea what things cost, or how supply chains work, or how you can't just build a fucking top-of-the-line stealth airplane in your cave.
In the third episode of Justice League the crew is chilling in the Watch Tower and Super Man asked Batman if his stockholders knew about it.

"It's a line item in the aerospace budget" :bleeding:

Yeah a hundred billion space station that would have taken dozens of launches to assemble even with a Saturn V analogue. No one noticed that. :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

And besides being dumb and easily traced, in that instance it's also criminal and tantamount to theft.

There's a lot of reasons I hate Batman, but his misuse of other people's money (sometimes a more conscientious writer will make sure to add it's from his personal fortune, although it's frankly rather unbelievable, even the richest man in the world cannot afford multiple warplanes, let alone Brother Eye) is a huge one.  Guess what, Joe Shareholder, Bruce Wayne has defrauded you out of your money for the good of Gotham, if by "for the good of Gotham" you mean "for the purpose of beating up crack dealers you've never even seen and not killing the Joker for the thousandth time."

At least when Iron Man does it, it's in the open so shareholders are aware of the issue, represents a testbed for marketable computer technologies, and serves as great marketing for Stark Enterprises, so it's neither fraud nor so egregious that it wouldn't pass the business judgment rule.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Well, he eventually takes over LexCorp so it's not like the shareholders of Wayne Enterprises are hurting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

It doesn't make it not fraud just because a company is still profitable after the fraud, Tim.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2012, 11:30:26 PM
It doesn't make it not fraud just because a company is still profitable after the fraud, Tim.
After that merger the company's probably worth a Trillion dollars, nobody'll miss a billion here or a billion there.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Kleves

Quote from: Ideologue on May 18, 2012, 11:17:14 PM
and not killing the Joker for the thousandth time.
I get that Batman can't kill (apparently viciously beating people unconscious is perfectly safe for their health or maybe it doesn't count if they later die in the hospital) but why can't he cripple the Joker? Why does he always have to return the Joker to prison in such a state that the Joker can heal up and escape within a week? Probably be tougher to escape in a wheelchair with both arms broken. Though then what would Batman do every night?

Here's a Batman story idea for you: Joker hires an army of hemophiliacs and takes over Gotham because Batman really doesn't have any plan B if beating the shit out of people isn't an option.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Neil

And besides being dumb and easily traced, in that instance it's also criminal and tantamount to theft.

There's a lot of reasons I hate Batman, but his misuse of other people's money (sometimes a more conscientious writer will make sure to add it's from his personal fortune, although it's frankly rather unbelievable, even the richest man in the world cannot afford multiple warplanes, let alone Brother Eye) is a huge one.  Guess what, Joe Shareholder, Bruce Wayne has defrauded you out of your money for the good of Gotham, if by "for the good of Gotham" you mean "for the purpose of beating up crack dealers you've never even seen and not killing the Joker for the thousandth time."

At least when Iron Man does it, it's in the open so shareholders are aware of the issue, represents a testbed for marketable computer technologies, and serves as great marketing for Stark Enterprises, so it's neither fraud nor so egregious that it wouldn't pass the business judgment rule.
Batman serves justice, which is more important than law.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on May 19, 2012, 09:50:29 AM
and not killing the Joker for the thousandth time.
I get that Batman can't kill (apparently viciously beating people unconscious is perfectly safe for their health or maybe it doesn't count if they later die in the hospital) but why can't he cripple the Joker? Why does he always have to return the Joker to prison in such a state that the Joker can heal up and escape within a week? Probably be tougher to escape in a wheelchair with both arms broken. Though then what would Batman do every night?

Here's a Batman story idea for you: Joker hires an army of hemophiliacs and takes over Gotham because Batman really doesn't have any plan B if beating the shit out of people isn't an option.

:D

Indeed.  It's always weird that no-kill vigilantes will routinely inflict brutal trauma to people's skulls with no second thoughts.  It's really easy to kill someone that way.

My favorite recent Batman Rule nonsense involves Batwoman, a former West Point student (she got kicked out under DADT) who recently came back to work for the government, in a military/intelligence capacity.  Batman demands she doesn't kill.

So the logical conclusion of that is a story where Batman beats the living shit out of any soldier he finds.  Actually, I like it.  Veterans are a superstitious, cowardly lot. <_<
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on May 19, 2012, 12:14:27 PM

Batman serves justice, which is more important than law.
How does that work? Masked vigilante leaves some guy tied up on the station doorstep...then what? Even if he leaves iron clad evidence in a box next to him (video/dna/whatever) how is that admissible?

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I have no idea if this game was any good but this cinematic is badass. That's what the DC movies should be like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4s15hlA2U&feature=fvwrel

1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Just started reading this comic blog linked to from the indefatigable Savage Critics (check those motherfuckers out, Jeff Lester and Graeme McMillan are magic, dudes).

Quote from: Funnybook BabylonYesterday was the fifth anniversary of Countdown #51. Hopefully everyone honored the anniversary in the same way as its creators: by trying to forget that Countdown ever existed.

Indeed, what can be said about Countdown that has not already been said about the Vietnam War?

:lol:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Oh, and also:

Quote from: NewsaramaThis past weekend at the Kapow convention in London, DC Entertainment co-publisher Dan DiDio announced that an existing character previously established as straight would be revealed to be gay in an upcoming storyline. Though there's no still word on exactly which character he was talking about, the resulting media coverage has revealed some clues to help narrow down the list.

*fingers crossed* Let it be Hal Jordan, let it be Hal Jordan, let it be Hal Jordan...

QuoteIf all these indicators prove to be accurate, DC will be revealing that a male character who is both "iconic" and "key," but hasn't yet been seen since last September's New 52 relaunch, is gay

Aw, fuck, nevermind.  Who cares?  Unless it's Wally West, which would just be retarded.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Meanwhile, on the internet . . .

http://www.marvelheroes.com/

Free to play Diablo 2 clone MMO with Marvel characters.

QuoteThe Cosmic Cube is a device of untold power capable of changing the very fabric of reality at the whim of its possessor. The brilliant but malevolent Dr. Doom has the Cube, and with it he aims to reshape the world in his own image. Determined to succeed where the Cube's previous wielders have failed, Doom has lined up villainous allies to prevent the super-heroes from interfering. Can you unravel Doctor Doom's sinister plan and stop him before it's too late?

Marvel Heroes is a free-to-play MMO Action RPG created by David Brevik, the visionary behind Diablo and a team of industry veterans assembled specifically for this project.

Marvel Heroes combines core gameplay elements of Diablo with the expansive library of characters from the Marvel Universe.

Engage in Action-RPG-style gameplay, but in an MMO world.
    Team up online with your friends, or play solo.
    Randomly generated environments are different every time you play.

Collect and play as your favorite Marvel Super Heroes including Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Captain America, Wolverine, Hulk, and many others.

Choose from a list of fan favorites from the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and every corner of the Marvel Universe.
    Build your character using a library of spectacular powers appropriate to your hero.
    Customize your character with a library of costumes from Marvel's rich history.
    Discover an endless variety of gear to increase your hero's power.

Explore the Marvel Universe in a story crafted by comic book super-scribe Brian Michael Bendis.

Visit famous locations from the Marvel Universe, from Avengers Tower to Mutant Town to the Savage Land.
    Smash through hordes of iconic Marvel enemies, such as the dreaded Purifiers and the legions of HYDRA.
    Face off against dozens of super-villains (soon to be revealed).

And it's all FREE-TO-PLAY with Marvel Heroes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeeXO63M4GA&feature=player_embedded
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.