News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2012, 11:31:03 PM
Also, given that his likeness was doubtless used in dozens of movies/ads since he went MIA shouldn't he be owed mountains of royalty money?
I would imagine that he signed a release when they were using him for war propaganda.

And superhumans are banned from the Olympics, otherwise Thor and the Hulk would win everything.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2012, 06:30:17 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2012, 11:31:03 PM
Also, given that his likeness was doubtless used in dozens of movies/ads since he went MIA shouldn't he be owed mountains of royalty money?
I would imagine that he signed a release when they were using him for war propaganda.

And superhumans are banned from the Olympics, otherwise Thor and the Hulk would win everything.
Yeah, but I'm sure his likeness has been used in plenty of movies and ads that were not government issue in the last 70 years.

Thor is a God/Alien and the Hulk, well I don't think he can be considered human anymore. Steve Rogers definitely is.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Giant Man might make things interesting. 
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2012, 07:52:30 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure his likeness has been used in plenty of movies and ads that were not government issue in the last 70 years.
Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, that's the government's problem and not Steve Rogers, because the government owns him.
QuoteThor is a God/Alien and the Hulk, well I don't think he can be considered human anymore. Steve Rogers definitely is.
The Hulk is definitely human.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2012, 08:09:09 PM
Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, that's the government's problem and not Steve Rogers, because the government owns him.

The government employs him, they don't own him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2012, 08:14:30 PM
They own Captain America.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2012, 08:25:20 PM
They own the copyright of the image, if that's what you're saying.

They don't own Steve Rogers the person.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2012, 08:27:21 PM

So you agree that Steve Rogers has absolutely nothing coming to him in likeness rights?  Good.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2012, 08:48:51 PM

So you agree that Steve Rogers has absolutely nothing coming to him in likeness rights?  Good.

Maybe, does the US government still maintain copyright on WWII propaganda symbols like Rosie the Riveter, or are they public domain?

EDIT: Also, would he be entitled to 70 years of back pay?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2012, 09:01:01 PM

Maybe, does the US government still maintain copyright on WWII propaganda symbols like Rosie the Riveter, or are they public domain?

Better question:  If you launch him on a journey to circumnavigate the universe at an extremely high fraction of lightspeed so that only a few relative decades take place, would he be entitled to the tens of billions of objective years of salary when he got back?

Relativity.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2012, 11:17:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2012, 09:01:01 PM

Better question:  If you launch him on a journey to circumnavigate the universe at an extremely high fraction of lightspeed so that only a few relative decades take place, would he be entitled to the tens of billions of objective years of salary when he got back?

Relativity.
If they're stupid enough to write up a contract without an end date that supplies him with a salary, sure.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

I think you'd find a clause that says the Government owns anybody who got the supersoldier treatment.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 20, 2012, 06:46:24 AM
I think you'd find a clause that says the Government owns anybody who got the supersoldier treatment.
Obviously unconstitutional and more importantly unenforceable.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

In a world where a single mutant can re-write reality and SHIELD can detain indefinately or shoot people without a warrant I think the Constitution is just window dressing.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 20, 2012, 08:10:26 AM
In a world where a single mutant can re-write reality and SHIELD can detain indefinately or shoot people without a warrant I think the Constitution is just window dressing.

1 Karma Chameleon point