News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on February 11, 2012, 06:13:49 AM
That Marvel online subscription (60$/year) is still tempting, but I still have 40+ years worth of Iron Man, Spiderman, Iron Man, X-Men, Thor, Avengers, etc. comics on my HD. :(

Though I'd be happy to entertain suggestions on which bits to skip. I like the origin stories and the introduction of the classic villains, but I know there's quite a lot of dreck in between. E.g. for Punisher I decided to just jump into the Garth Ennis era.

For Iron Man, make sure you read the ones where Tony Stark is a drunk fuck-up.  They're great.  Also, the issue of the Avengers where he tries to fuck the Wasp like, the day after Hank Pym goes to jail.  It's my favorite Avengers issue ever, even though no one gets punched--it's this weird, melancholy island in a sea of nonsense action adventure.  Well, it's not my most favorite, that's either the annual where Adam Warlock dies (OMFG Jim Starlin gets only about 10% of the credit he deserves, son of a bitch is like the fifth best superhero writer of all time, and one of its top twenty or so artists), or the one in volume 3 by Busiek and Perez where Count Nefaria kicks everyone's ass with ion power but is eventually defeated, probably by a speech by Captain America, I don't really remember.

Yeah, I haven't been into the back stacks in a little while.  I think I might punch through Legion volume 4 till I get to that delicious era of Keith Giffen where he was working in the nine panel grid and was at the height of his illustrative powers while the Bierbaums were successfully not Paul Levitz.  Oh yeah, that's the stuff.  Or maybe some Lois Lanes.

I like the one where she marries Mitt Romney.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Shame.  Was a big fan of his strip. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2012, 01:13:11 PM
Moebius, French comic artist extraordinaire has died. :(

Examples of his work.

One of these days, I need to read some Moebius.  Can you believe I never have?  And I consider myself cultured. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on March 11, 2012, 01:54:20 PM

Examples of his work.
One of these days, I need to read some Moebius.  Can you believe I never have?  And I consider myself cultured. :(
The Euro take on sci-fi is pretty interesting.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Examples of his work.

Clearly you are not mr. zomg transformers the movie is best evah.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: katmai on March 12, 2012, 11:25:12 AM

Examples of his work.
Ide is Tim?  How regretable.

At least he still likes cool comics though.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2012, 11:18:06 AM

Examples of his work.
The Euro take on sci-fi is pretty interesting.

Personally, I'm very taken with Marvano's (=Belgian) adaptation of The Forever War that he did together with Haldeman.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PRC

Moebius was amazing, loved his work when I was a young teenager and looking for things outside of the superhero books.  The Incal and Blueberry still blow me away every time I see the art.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on March 12, 2012, 11:29:38 AM
Quote from: katmai on March 12, 2012, 11:25:12 AM

Examples of his work.
Ide is Tim?  How regretable.

At least he still likes cool comics though.

Katmai, as is his ethics-free wont, is misrepresenting me.  I said Transformers '86 was, perhaps, the best animated movie.  That's a defensible position.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

I was just thinking, since the Super Soldier Serum was lost can't Steve Rogers go to the Olympics and win like three dozen gold medals? He hasn't taken any banned substance, and they can't test him for the SSS because no one knows what it is (and if anyone did know it would be classified).

Also, given that his likeness was doubtless used in dozens of movies/ads since he went MIA shouldn't he be owed mountains of royalty money?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 18, 2012, 11:31:03 PM
I was just thinking, since the Super Soldier Serum was lost can't Steve Rogers go to the Olympics and win like three dozen gold medals? He hasn't taken any banned substance, and they can't test him for the SSS because no one knows what it is (and if anyone did know it would be classified).

Also, given that his likeness was doubtless used in dozens of movies/ads since he went MIA shouldn't he be owed mountains of royalty money?
That would make for a boring movie.

You are thinking of this movie, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World%27s_Greatest_Athlete, which features Jan Michael Vincent's greatest role since before he did Airwolf.
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 19, 2012, 05:09:59 PM
Jan Michael Vincent's greatest role since before he did Airwolf.

Even greater than Damnation Alley? :o
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2012, 05:15:09 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 19, 2012, 05:09:59 PM
Jan Michael Vincent's greatest role since before he did Airwolf.

Even greater than Damnation Alley? :o
Much.  That one belonged solely to Col. Hannibal Smith.
PDH!