News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 02:23:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2012, 02:06:26 PM
Einstein was wrong, God does play dice.

Yeah.  Liar's dice.

The dice are loaded. As the Chairman said. ;)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2012, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: Scipio on May 07, 2012, 01:38:13 PM
Wow, I knew you were a bunch of godless heathens, but seriously, this is scary.

I go to church at least twice a week, most weeks.  Vespers every Friday, and Liturgy every Sunday (which service invariably includes two shorter services, so there).

Now that's scary.

Not really scary, just...a lot of time investment.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 07, 2012, 02:37:23 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 07, 2012, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: Scipio on May 07, 2012, 01:38:13 PM
Wow, I knew you were a bunch of godless heathens, but seriously, this is scary.

I go to church at least twice a week, most weeks.  Vespers every Friday, and Liturgy every Sunday (which service invariably includes two shorter services, so there).

Now that's scary.

Not really scary, just...a lot of time investment.

Not that much time.  It's like .01 percent of your time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 07, 2012, 02:23:21 PM
Yeah. I don't see why rational thought would be scary. As opposed to insanity of going to a church on a regular basis.

Spending time with people I like, talking about important issues with likeminded people, and collaboration for charity work sounds pretty rational to me.  I guess it just depends on what your reasons are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on May 07, 2012, 02:46:02 PM

Not that much time.  It's like .01 percent of your time.

I don't know. I mean, three or fours hours a week is a significant investment for me. My free time is limited.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maximus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 07, 2012, 03:08:26 PM
I don't know. I mean, three or fours hours a week is a significant investment for me. My free time is limited.
Indeed, I reserve my Sundays for things that help me recover from the stresses of the week, not add to it.

derspiess

I'm somewhere between the second and third option.  I make my 4-year old go about every week (with my parents) and will probably start going every week myself when my daughter is old enough to start going to Sunday school and actually get something out of it.

Thought I'd be able to corral the wife into joining my church and at least going through the motions, but it turns out that she's pretty devoutly a non-practicing Catholic.  Not a devout Catholic, per se, but she clearly doesn't want to have anything to do with my church :lol:

The good thing is that her non-interest in religion prevents any conflicts about which way to raise teh kidz.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

That reminds me of certain quote:

QuoteI don't even believe in my god, which is the true one. Why would I believe in yours?

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on May 07, 2012, 03:41:43 PM
I'm somewhere between the second and third option.  I make my 4-year old go about every week (with my parents) and will probably start going every week myself when my daughter is old enough to start going to Sunday school and actually get something out of it.

Thought I'd be able to corral the wife into joining my church and at least going through the motions, but it turns out that she's pretty devoutly a non-practicing Catholic.  Not a devout Catholic, per se, but she clearly doesn't want to have anything to do with my church :lol:

The good thing is that her non-interest in religion prevents any conflicts about which way to raise teh kidz.

So, when are you going to give the kids the opt-out option? I'm planning on sitting them down at age 12 and asking them what they think and if they want to continue the church going. Or if they express doubts earlier.

Atheist douchebag Dawkins type thinking? BEATINGS.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:06:39 PM
So, when are you going to give the kids the opt-out option? I'm planning on sitting them down at age 12 and asking them what they think and if they want to continue the church going. Or if they express doubts earlier

Jesus, you sound like my sister and my lawyer brother-in-law. 

AGE OF CONSENT ALSO APPLIES TO FAITH DAMMIT

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 05:13:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:06:39 PM
So, when are you going to give the kids the opt-out option? I'm planning on sitting them down at age 12 and asking them what they think and if they want to continue the church going. Or if they express doubts earlier

I know how kids are. My goddaughter got real skeptical around age 11. After a talk, she agreed to stick it out for her mom.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:16:00 PM
I know how kids are. My goddaughter got real skeptical around age 11.

Catechism > Easter Bunny

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 05:13:00 PM

I wouldn't go that far. I think it's ok to take kids to church before they are 18. Nothing that implies a commitment like baptism though.

Iormlund

Quote from: Maximus on May 07, 2012, 05:25:53 PM
I wouldn't go that far. I think it's ok to take kids to church before they are 18.

Take or force?

Maximus

I certainly don't think kids should never be forced to do things they don't want to do. There are limits though. The specifics would vary, and I'm not getting into a parenting argument on languish.