News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 09:53:21 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 09:44:34 AM
Well, is God were Omnipotent then he could just change the law without having to redeem humanity by means of human sacrifice.

Well if God were omnipotent he could do it however he wanted.  Everything works in that framework.

Why?  God did it.  Why did he do it?  Because he wanted to.

So, God's a dick?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2012, 09:49:09 AM
I could take her with me and drop her off in the nursery while I attend the morning service, but I feel weird doing that.

Understandable.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 09:53:52 AM
I PUT MY TIME IN WHEN I WAS A KID.  NOW IT'S HIS TURN.

But seriously, my wife has been working Sundays, so I stay home with my 1-year old girl.  I could take her with me and drop her off in the nursery while I attend the morning service, but I feel weird doing that.

Why?  The going to church alone thing?

Probably the leaving-the-1-year-old-alone-with-strangers thing.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 09:55:05 AM
So, God's a dick?

Of course not.  He so loved humanity he sent his only begotten son, himself, to be killed by us to draw our attention to the fact we could have eternal life.  Otherwise we may not have noticed.

Besides he works in mysterious ways and is beyond human comprehension.  Roll with me here Viking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 09:56:13 AM

Maybe but that is what most of us have to do every weekday so I didn't want to assume that was the reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 08, 2012, 09:18:41 AM
Why do you not go every week but your kid does?

I PUT MY TIME IN WHEN I WAS A KID.  NOW IT'S HIS TURN.

But seriously, my wife has been working Sundays, so I stay home with my 1-year old girl.  I could take her with me and drop her off in the nursery while I attend the morning service, but I feel weird doing that.

Why do you think it's important for him to go to church everyweek but not for you?

I understand taking care of the other kid but shouldn't Church going be above that?

That's how I see what Scipio is doing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 09:58:07 AM
So, God's a dick?

Of course not.  He so loved humanity he sent his only begotten son, himself, to be killed by us to draw our attention to the fact we could have eternal life.  Otherwise we may not have noticed.

Besides he works in mysterious ways and is beyond human comprehension.  Roll with me here Viking.

Argument from Ignorance. You still have to establish that he exists, loves humanity, has an only begotten son, and that his death is about eternal life.

But, now, God isn't a dick, but he's incompetent. 3 out of 4 humans are going to die and go to hell because they don't belive in him to recieve eternal life. But, he still a dick since to do this he has to specifically condemn a long list of named people to hell since he had to, in mosaic terms, harden their hearts so they played their parts from farisees through pilate and judas.

Claiming that one cannot understand god's ways is the equivalent of refusing to show your work on a math exam. 

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 10:01:00 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 09:56:13 AM

Maybe but that is what most of us have to do every weekday so I didn't want to assume that was the reason.

Yeah, but he's not the little missus;  it's different when the Daddy does it.  Ratchets up the tension.  Something happens to the baby, it's his fault.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 09:58:07 AM
So, God's a dick?

If he were omnipotent, why couldn't he be less mysterious?  It would certainly save us all a lot of miscommunication, and he'd still have his son.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 10:12:37 AM
Yeah, but he's not the little missus;  it's different when the Daddy does it.  Ratchets up the tension.  Something happens to the baby, it's his fault.

Ooooooh good point  :ph34r:

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 10:18:14 AM
If he were omnipotent, why couldn't he be less mysterious?  It would certainly save us all a lot of miscommunication, and he'd still have his son.

Well he does still have his son, having raised him back from the dead and brought him to heaven.

And if he was less mysterious we would all die horribly from the awesomeness that is God...of course he could have made us able to not die horribly.  But maybe that is all part of the divine plan to, you know, do stuff.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2012, 10:08:18 AM
Argument from Ignorance. You still have to establish that he exists, loves humanity, has an only begotten son, and that his death is about eternal life.

I thought the base assumptions of this conversation was that the whole thing was true but that his omnipotence would make it impossible to work? :hmm:

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 10:21:08 AM
Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 10:18:14 AM

Well he does still have his son, having raised him back from the dead and brought him to heaven.

And if he was less mysterious we would all die horribly from the awesomeness that is God...of course he could have made us able to not die horribly.  But maybe that is all part of the divine plan to, you know, do stuff.

eh? He managed perfectly well to speak to adam and eve face to face and speak to all the prophets brain to brain. Just imagine that if every village had it's own little jesus complete with miracles who were sons of god to show off his existingness.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 10:21:08 AM
Well, that's not really much of a sacrifice then?

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2012, 10:24:17 AM
Well, that's not really much of a sacrifice then?

Well no...that is where the whole Nestorian-Monophysite-Orthodox controversy came from right?  The less human Jesus is the less the sacrifice appears to be much of a sacrifice but on the other hand if he is too human how is he giving us all eternal life?  Sounds like a good reason to break up the Byzantine Empire.