News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish's church attendence

Started by Lettow77, May 06, 2012, 05:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you attend some religious service?

Weekly
4 (5.4%)
At least once a month
5 (6.8%)
For special occasions, i.e Easter
13 (17.6%)
No church attendance
48 (64.9%)
Jaron will be sustained by the Quorum of Twelve
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Ed Anger

They sure as hell ain't staying with me at home. I CAN'T HEAR NFL COUNTDOWN, YOU BRATS.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on May 07, 2012, 05:29:52 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 07, 2012, 05:25:53 PM
I wouldn't go that far. I think it's ok to take kids to church before they are 18.

Take or force?

That is hilarious you would accuse Maximus, of all  people, of forcibly taking kids to church.

Obviously it depends if the child can stay home alone unsupervised for a few hours.  Most people do not have child care on call.  If the kid is over 12 or so and does not want to go, I think it would be wrong to take them but that is just me.  Parents are within their rights to...even though that would be sorta creepy especialy for over 16.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Take a chill pill. I haven't accused anyone of anything.

I'm curious because my experience is no kid wants to go to Church and I can't see how forcing them serves any practical purpose. The few people that I know who had to attend mass each Sunday haven't gone back since they fled the nest.

Habsburg

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:16:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 05:13:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:06:39 PM
So, when are you going to give the kids the opt-out option? I'm planning on sitting them down at age 12 and asking them what they think and if they want to continue the church going. Or if they express doubts earlier

Jesus, you sound like my sister and my lawyer brother-in-law. 

AGE OF CONSENT ALSO APPLIES TO FAITH DAMMIT

I know how kids are. My goddaughter got real skeptical around age 11. After a talk, she agreed to stick it out for her mom.  :cry:

When I was six my Great Grandmother sent me some Biblical stories book.  I questioned everything.  My parents really didn't know what to do.  :lmfao:

Brazen

When I was about 10 my folks told me they didn't believe in God and only got me baptised to get into the local Church of England primary school. I rebelled and joined the Junior Christian Union as soon as I joined secondary school and covered my books with happy-clappy church stickers. I got better.

Duque de Bragança

I seldom go to Church and if I go it's mostly for family reasons so for first baptisms, communions, marriages and funerals.

Tamas

Quote from: Scipio on May 07, 2012, 01:38:13 PM
Wow, I knew you were a bunch of godless heathens, but seriously, this is scary.

I go to church at least twice a week, most weeks.  Vespers every Friday, and Liturgy every Sunday (which service invariably includes two shorter services, so there).

Yes but it is probably a practically useful way for you to build up and maintain your social/work cycle. For me, and I guess for a lot of Europeans, it is not. I can talk to elderly people when I end up in a shelter house for the old.

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on May 07, 2012, 06:04:52 PM

I thought it was funny given his background that's all.

QuoteI'm curious because my experience is no kid wants to go to Church and I can't see how forcing them serves any practical purpose. The few people that I know who had to attend mass each Sunday haven't gone back since they fled the nest.

In my experience lots of them do.  But we do it a little differently.  Generally no kids in the adult service unless they really really want to be there.  The kids go do their own thing with the other kids (grouped by age cohort).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 07:55:17 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 07, 2012, 06:04:52 PM

I thought it was funny given his background that's all.

QuoteI'm curious because my experience is no kid wants to go to Church and I can't see how forcing them serves any practical purpose. The few people that I know who had to attend mass each Sunday haven't gone back since they fled the nest.

In my experience lots of them do.  But we do it a little differently.  Generally no kids in the adult service unless they really really want to be there.  The kids go do their own thing with the other kids (grouped by age cohort).

Indoctrination un-supervized by parents! :thumbsup:

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 08:20:47 AM

With values I agree with.  And I have far more influence there than I do over the school system or his day care.  But, you know,  mostly the kids just play together.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habsburg on May 07, 2012, 10:48:34 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:16:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 05:13:00 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2012, 05:06:39 PM
So, when are you going to give the kids the opt-out option? I'm planning on sitting them down at age 12 and asking them what they think and if they want to continue the church going. Or if they express doubts earlier

Jesus, you sound like my sister and my lawyer brother-in-law. 

AGE OF CONSENT ALSO APPLIES TO FAITH DAMMIT

I know how kids are. My goddaughter got real skeptical around age 11. After a talk, she agreed to stick it out for her mom.  :cry:

When I was six my Great Grandmother sent me some Biblical stories book.  I questioned everything.  My parents really didn't know what to do.  :lmfao:

My favorite book when I was little was my Children's Illustrated Bible. :wub:

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 08:26:00 AM
I won that for Sunday school attendance  :hmm:

I liked the pictures of Adam and Eve with the early mammals and Satan tempting Jeebus in the desert.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on May 08, 2012, 08:29:00 AM
I liked the pictures of Adam and Eve with the early mammals and Satan tempting Jeebus in the desert.

I was sort of partial to Samson tearing down the Philistine Temple.  That was badass.  Nothing else really left a lasting impact :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on May 08, 2012, 08:29:00 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 08:26:00 AM
I won that for Sunday school attendance  :hmm:

I was always fascinated with the meeting between Jesus and Pontius Pilate.  I could never understand why Jesus just didn't play ball to save his own ass.

But then again, that was the point, wasn't it?

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2012, 08:25:03 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 08, 2012, 08:20:47 AM

With values I agree with.  And I have far more influence there than I do over the school system or his day care.  But, you know,  mostly the kids just play together.

Actually I think you have a point. We do use fairytales to teach values and lessons to children.

The real problem is when they stick to them in adulthood as well. And of course that they are never told Cinderella as gospel.