And we're back!

Main Menu

Legal question for you non-lawyers

Started by Barrister, March 28, 2012, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on March 29, 2012, 03:13:16 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2012, 03:06:24 PM
I was expecting a Big Liebowski reference.  ;)

http://www.redjaxxcollectibles.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=580

I don't get the "The Big Lebowski" love out there. I think it's an ok movie, thats it.

It has a very memorable "Jesus".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

I don't get the "The Big Lebowski" love out there. I think it's an ok movie, thats it.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 29, 2012, 06:35:23 PM

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

Touché
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

I still think my scenario would raise the specter of reasonable doubt.

Edit: Although I guess the juice box is a lot more probative, what with it being from the fridge.  God, that's just dumb.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Good thing you aren't a lawyer.  Or you wouldn't qualify to post your opinions in this thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 29, 2012, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2012, 01:54:56 PM
In Canada though we don't have sentencing guidelines, and B&E dwelling house can attract a huge range of sentences, so I think I just take the inevitable uncertainty into account on sentence.

What would you offer in this case if you thought there was no way you could lose at trial?  Conversely, what would you offer if you thought your evidence/witnesses were just strong enough to even pursue the charge?

I'm really curious how sentence bargaining works in Canada...So, what would you offer?  Or what would you offer to a hypothetical defendant with at least one prior B&E conviction, at those two levels of certainty?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Barrister

Small update: dude did a bail review and was released today.

Defence let slip what the defence was going to be: he is going to argue that he law hired to be a mover, and had no idea they were actually stealing the stuff. :lol:

We of course invited him to provide a statement and tell us who hired him, maybe provide some paystubs, and we'd consider it.  He declined to do so for some reason. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.