Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 06:01:22 PM
How about a position in between those two, such as a belief that a certain group has a higher proclivity for evil?  Racist or not racist?
Depends on what you mean by "a certain group."  "People with certain beliefs have a higher proclivity for seeking violent solutions to their problems" sounds better, and avoids that dreadful "evil" tag.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 05:56:09 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2011, 05:50:49 PM
Just imagine a school shooting where the kids cannot escape the building and it takes two hours for the police to show up.

I don't want to imagine that.  :cry:

Also, is there an objective reason why it took the police two hours to arrive or is there a suspicion of incompetence?

To begin with, there was this little thing about a terrorist attack in the capital.  :hmm:

Then, there's the MO for shootings. Scandinavian police next to never goes in guns drawn and blazing. There's simply no culture of this kind of thing here, and the police acts in a methodical rather than impulsive manner. I can't even remember the last time a gunman was actually shot. Probably around the Malexander murders.

In addition, there's the tactical complexity. Cops don't have weapons available until given the access by the operational commander. There's also the little problem of a large body of water in the way.

Early on, we simply didn't know what was going on. There was "shooting" and "an armed man".

In hindsight, if we'd known all along that the guy intended to murder as many people as possible, would the police have acted sooner and in more haste? I would expect so.

There were assertions made that it was problematic to use helicopters "on account of the weather" but that sounds like horse shit because the weather was just fine.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 06:01:22 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2011, 05:08:19 PM
It is possible to be concerned about the problems that come from friction between members of different cultural groups on both an individual and societal level without being racist. But once you're in the territory of labeling entire ethnic and cultural groups as evil then you're racist.

How about a position in between those two, such as a belief that a certain group has a higher proclivity for evil?  Racist or not racist?

Depends if the group in question is defined by race or not. If it is defined by ethnicity, creed, culture etc. but not race then it cannot be racist.

Grallon

:lol: Trust grumbler to turn this into another pissing contest - this time about who can be more callous without appearing to be. 

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 06:07:10 PM
Depends if the group in question is defined by race or not. If it is defined by ethnicity, creed, culture etc. but not race then it cannot be racist.

You're off the hook Slag.:cheers:

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on July 23, 2011, 06:08:03 PM
:lol: Trust grumbler to turn this into another pissing contest - this time about who can be more callous without appearing to be. 

G.

I think it's between you, me, grumbler and Slargos.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 05:52:48 PM
What's better than a tardfight between Slargos and Pat?

A tardfight between Martinus, Grallon, Viking, and Slargos, with Raz throwing in some hand grenades!  :w00t:

*pops popcorn*

It's not a real 'tard fight unless you join.  We need at least one 'tard
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 06:09:01 PM
Quote from: Grallon on July 23, 2011, 06:08:03 PM

G.

I think it's between you, me, grumbler and Slargos.

If I'd realized it was a contest, I would've started playing.  :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 06:08:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 06:07:10 PM

You're off the hook Slag. :cheers:

I am so relieved.  :sleep:

dps

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 05:55:23 PM
Maybe this kind of incident will raise awareness that the proper response to a mass murder is to zerg rush someone, just like 9/11 taught as that the proper response to a hijacking attempt is for all the passengers to attack the hijacker at once.  These kind of strategies are hard to learn, because they require many people at the same time to have the same idea and suppress the diffusion of responsibility, which is why it takes these kind of tragedies to instill the idea en masse.

An ABC news report I saw said that the guy had a fully automatic weapon, which makes even a mass rush problematic.  600 people in one group, yeah, that's still a good option, but the 600 people in this instance were apparantly spread out in several groups.

Martinus

Incidentally, are views about some races being inferior to others in certain aspects (e.g. evil, or stupid etc.) always racist, or only if such views are untrue?

E.g. would a belief that the uruk-hai are more evil than elves, or that hobbits are lazier than dwarves be considered racist?

Razgovory

Marty, I hate to break it to you, but orcs and elves aren't real.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 05:49:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 05:45:53 PM
Jacob is attacking you because you made actual racist remarks.  Examples:

When you go on about "mud people", that would be racism.

When grallon goes on about how Muslims are vermin, that would be religious bigotry.

See the difference?

No, I really don't. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Am I being racist if I call you a porch monkey?

Regardless, it's completely beside the point. Jacob insists that it's racism to villify a religion. [Or actually, he specified culture, so he sortof dodged it that way. But since no one was calling a culture evil, I guess his "argument" is a complete red herring. My bad.]

Perhaps the problem is you don't know what words mean in the English language.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:13:41 PM
Marty, I hate to break it to you, but orcs and elves aren't real.

According to some there is no such thing as a "race" either, so racism must not exist either, right?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 06:11:57 PM
Incidentally, are views about some races being inferior to others in certain aspects (e.g. evil, or stupid etc.) always racist, or only if such views are untrue?

E.g. would a belief that the uruk-hai are more evil than elves, or that hobbits are lazier than dwarves be considered racist?

You're only allowed to generalize negatively about white males.