Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2011, 05:41:29 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 05:36:05 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2011, 05:33:22 PM
Norwegian media has been hinting that the police have refused to report how many people are missing. One (out or 23) provinces reports that it has 1 confirmed dead and 12 missing. My gut feeling says that the missing might significantly expand the number of dead. Kids floating around the lake dead from drowning or hypothermia. The local camping ground staff report saving at least 250 swimmers from the lake (I know it's called a fjord, but it's a lake).

When the police arrrested the guy he surrendered. The police refused to answer the question if the gunman had any ammo left when he surrendered.

I'm afraid that a hundred more kids which are missing might be dead as well.

Oh boy.  :(

I wonder what kind of death toll we'd seen if an attempt had been made to overpower him instead of a stampede. I know it's wishful thinking.

it doesn't seem that any of the kids and young adults tried to charge him and take him out. Not even when he was reloading or any of the 600+ kids trying to get him from behind when he was reloading. It seems that of all the kids and young adults nobody tried to solve the problem themselves.

I'd say something about the philosophy regarding self reliance of social democrats, but that would be divisive and not kind.

You mean you are complaining that noone tackled him? Stop trying to steal my thunder!  <_<

Grallon

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 05:42:55 PM

Jacob insists that considering muslims filthy bastards is racist. So I guess "muslim" is a race. By that logic, "Protestant" surely ought to be aswell.

Jacob merely bundles together racism with xenophobia - like so many others fed on the virtues of multiculturalism.  And from there he indulges in what those like him usually do: moral grand standing.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 05:43:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 05:39:37 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 05:25:42 PM

Of course. As long as YOU are doing it, there's nothing wrong with it.

You think Protestant is a race?

I thought there was just one race. It's hard to keep track of the concept, since it's all over the place.

Jacob insists that considering muslims filthy bastards is racist. So I guess "muslim" is a race. By that logic, "Protestant" surely ought to be aswell.

I don't know, Raz. I really don't know.

I think your logical fallacy is to consider Jacob and Raz the same person. :)

Inarguably. I think it's unfair to hammer me like this though, when everyone uses their own definition of "racism". How am I supposed to answer?

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 05:45:53 PM
Jacob is attacking you because you made actual racist remarks.  Examples:

When you go on about "mud people", that would be racism.

When grallon goes on about how Muslims are vermin, that would be religious bigotry.

See the difference?

Well, Jacob characterized the killer's views that Islam is evil as racist.

Martinus

Quote from: Grallon on July 23, 2011, 05:47:59 PM

Jacob merely bundles together racism with xenophobia - like so many others fed on the virtues of multiculturalism.  And from there he indulges in what those like him usually do: moral grand standing.

G.

Would you say Jacob is a cultural marxist?

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 05:45:53 PM
Jacob is attacking you because you made actual racist remarks.  Examples:

When you go on about "mud people", that would be racism.

When grallon goes on about how Muslims are vermin, that would be religious bigotry.

See the difference?

No, I really don't. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Am I being racist if I call you a porch monkey?

Regardless, it's completely beside the point. Jacob insists that it's racism to villify a religion. [Or actually, he specified culture, so he sortof dodged it that way. But since no one was calling a culture evil, I guess his "argument" is a complete red herring. My bad.]

Viking

Quote from: Grallon on July 23, 2011, 05:44:26 PM
Was he using a silencer?  To be able to be so methodical without widespread panic...

G.

There was widespread panic, its just that the island was the size of 12 soccer pitches. It's just that the water was so cold that hypothermia was a high risk. There were 600 kids on the island, est 50 kids per pitch. There was no place to hide, panic just means that the victims ran to the beach and cowered in fear until Bering Breivik came long and murdered them. Just imagine a school shooting where the kids cannot escape the building and it takes two hours for the police to show up.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

What's better than a tardfight between Slargos and Pat?

A tardfight between Martinus, Grallon, Viking, and Slargos, with Raz throwing in some hand grenades!  :w00t:

*pops popcorn*
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Also, there is a difference between racial stereotypes (e.g. "black people run faster") and racism, although they are often confused. Racial stereotypes are beliefs (some of them ignorant) about reality, whereas racism is an ideology. You are not a racist if you think all Swedes are protestant.

Use of racial slurs also does not make you a racist, although, depending on the context, it may be a good indicator that you are a racist. Using a racial slur in an obviously joking manner and without an intention to offend is not racist.

DGuller

Maybe this kind of incident will raise awareness that the proper response to a mass murder is to zerg rush someone, just like 9/11 taught as that the proper response to a hijacking attempt is for all the passengers to attack the hijacker at once.  These kind of strategies are hard to learn, because they require many people at the same time to have the same idea and suppress the diffusion of responsibility, which is why it takes these kind of tragedies to instill the idea en masse.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2011, 05:50:49 PM
Just imagine a school shooting where the kids cannot escape the building and it takes two hours for the police to show up.

I don't want to imagine that.  :cry:

Also, is there an objective reason why it took the police two hours to arrive or is there a suspicion of incompetence?

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 05:52:48 PM

A tardfight between Martinus, Grallon, Viking, and Slargos, with Raz throwing in some hand grenades!  :w00t:

*pops popcorn*

fuck you, lots of people are dead.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 05:52:48 PM

*pops popcorn*

The kind of entertainment we enjoy says a lot about us as people.

I'll just let your gears grind for a while on that one.

Get back to me in a couple of weeks when you figure it out.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2011, 05:08:19 PM
It is possible to be concerned about the problems that come from friction between members of different cultural groups on both an individual and societal level without being racist. But once you're in the territory of labeling entire ethnic and cultural groups as evil then you're racist.

How about a position in between those two, such as a belief that a certain group has a higher proclivity for evil?  Racist or not racist?

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on July 23, 2011, 05:56:23 PM
fuck you, lots of people are dead.
Fuck you.  Making asshat arguments has nothing to do with the dead.  "You mean you are complaining that noone tackled him? Stop trying to steal my thunder! <_<" is about as callous a comment as I've seen since this tragedy started.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!