Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 06:14:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:13:41 PM
Marty, I hate to break it to you, but orcs and elves aren't real.

According to some there is no such thing as a "race" either, so racism must not exist either, right?

Because some people believe something doesn't exist, that actually make it cease to exist?  Evolution exists despite the fact that some people believe the Earth is only 6,000 years old.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on July 23, 2011, 06:03:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 06:01:22 PM
How about a position in between those two, such as a belief that a certain group has a higher proclivity for evil?  Racist or not racist?
Depends on what you mean by "a certain group."  "People with certain beliefs have a higher proclivity for seeking violent solutions to their problems" sounds better, and avoids that dreadful "evil" tag.

What about "People with certain skin color are more likely to commit a violent crime than people with another skin color"? Racist or not?

dps

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 06:20:25 PM
How about a position in between those two, such as a belief that a certain group has a higher proclivity for evil?  Racist or not racist?
Depends on what you mean by "a certain group."  "People with certain beliefs have a higher proclivity for seeking violent solutions to their problems" sounds better, and avoids that dreadful "evil" tag.

What about "People with certain skin color are more likely to commit a violent crime than people with another skin color"? Racist or not?

I'd say that if the implication is that a person is more likely to commit a violent crime because of their skin color, it's racist.  If it's that a person of a certain skin color is more likely to commit a violent crime because a person of that color is more likely to be a member of a social group with more of a social/cultural afinity for violence, it's not.

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:14:37 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 05:49:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 05:45:53 PM
Jacob is attacking you because you made actual racist remarks.  Examples:

When you go on about "mud people", that would be racism.

When grallon goes on about how Muslims are vermin, that would be religious bigotry.

See the difference?

No, I really don't. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Am I being racist if I call you a porch monkey?

Regardless, it's completely beside the point. Jacob insists that it's racism to villify a religion. [Or actually, he specified culture, so he sortof dodged it that way. But since no one was calling a culture evil, I guess his "argument" is a complete red herring. My bad.]

Perhaps the problem is you don't know what words mean in the English language.

No, I think the problem lies in the fact that you don't understand that Language is not permanent, and that the meaning of words can shift over time.

If you want to use the dictionary definition of racism, it's certainly not racism to call niggers "mud people".

Slargos

Quote from: dps on July 23, 2011, 06:24:01 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 06:20:25 PM

I'd say that if the implication is that a person is more likely to commit a violent crime because of their skin color, it's racist.  If it's that a person of a certain skin color is more likely to commit a violent crime because a person of that color is more likely to be a member of a social group with more of a social/cultural afinity for violence, it's not.

And yet, white collar immigrants in Sweden are more likely to commit crime than blue collar. Go figure.

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:13:41 PM
Marty, I hate to break it to you, but orcs and elves aren't real.

You beat me to the grumbler:lol:

Slargos

QuoteThe idea here is to avoid a head on battle with a strong enemy, and instead
strike at his weakness elsewhere. The Prime Minister may have several armed body
guards. This however is not the case with regular ministers. As for static objectives, it
can be smarter to focus on less "armoured" targets. Instead of the Parliament building or
Royal Castle, other high value targets (with less security) should be targeted.
4. Make a sound in the east, then strike in the west
In any battle the element of surprise can provide an overwhelming advantage. Even when
face to face with an enemy, surprise can still be employed by attacking where he least
expects it. To do this you must create an expectation in the enemy's mind through the use
of a feint.

Say what you will about this guy, but he was certainly prepared.

He claims himself that he worked with this goal in mind for 9 years.

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 06:25:01 PM

No, I think the problem lies in the fact that you don't understand that Language is not permanent, and that the meaning of words can shift over time.

If you want to use the dictionary definition of racism, it's certainly not racism to call niggers "mud people".

Using a racial slur isn't a racist statement?  I know of no dictionary where that is true.  Swedish education in the English language is not a good as we were led to believe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:40:50 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 06:25:01 PM

Using a racial slur isn't a racist statement?  I know of no dictionary where that is true.  Swedish education in the English language is not a good as we were led to believe.

More prejudice? Will the litany never cease?

grumbler

Quote from: dps on July 23, 2011, 06:11:27 PM
An ABC news report I saw said that the guy had a fully automatic weapon, which makes even a mass rush problematic.  600 people in one group, yeah, that's still a good option, but the 600 people in this instance were apparantly spread out in several groups.
The witneses appear to agree that he had an automatic weapon, so I think you are right.  Plus, people don't tend to think too clearly under gunfire, even when trained.  The Flight 96 people had a lot of time to consider their position, and didn't face gunfire, so their response probably has to be considered atypical.  Nobody rushed the Va Tech shooter, and even at Fort Hood, fully trained military people didn't rush Hassan until several minutes after he started shooting. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grallon

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 06:09:56 PM

If I'd realized it was a contest, I would've started playing.  :hmm:

Only in grumbler's mind.  For my part I haven't even stated my thoughts on this. 

-----

At first I thought it was Muslims because that's what they're often prone to do and we are collectively stupid enough to allow them within our borders in vast numbers.  Then it turned out it was a native with radical methods of enacting his beliefs/ideas.

If I really wanted to be callous I could say, from a purely detached intellectual standpoint, that one has to admire the determination and steadfastness of the man - to go through with this in a coldly methodical fashion - and then to allow himself to be captured.  This tells me that he intends to use the trial, and its sure to be massive media coverage, as a platform - or pulpit - from which to go on preaching his own ideas.

Everyone say this is a tragedy - I suppose it is - but is it more so than 80+ people killed in a plane crash?  Or the sinking of a ship?  Personally I regret the death of so many youths (especially the boys), but do I mourn?  Not really.  It would of course be different if this had happened here, on my own turn, with people who could have/might have been friends, family and such.  In other words, people I could have identified more... intimately with.  Naturally the predictable human reaction to such an event is to try and 'make sense' of it by attributing the clear-cut 'good' and 'evil' labels on every pieces of the puzzle.  However as most adults will know, life is gray, not black and white.

I imagine that many of those who died did so instantly, without foreknowledge, when the bullet hit them in the head or in the back.  There are worse ways to die.  Like being wounded and seeing the guy come up to you and knowing he will finish you off.  Or like those fleeing and drowning.  Or those in the blown up buildings being eviscerated...

I suppose that what I'm trying to say is that none of us value life in the same fashion or for the same reasons.  And that death will find us wherever and whenever it will.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Slargos

I'm not going to throw stones.

I know I can come off as quite callous a lot of the time, but frankly I need it to stay alive. If I ever drop my guard I'm going to break into a million pieces.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on July 23, 2011, 05:07:04 PM
At the risk of sounding a bit callous (and I am greatly moved by this tragedy), it places the guy ideologically exactly right in the center of the broadly understood populist right wing that's so popular in Europe (including, in Poland). Which hopefully will wreck huge political damage on them.

I don't think guys like him care.

katmai

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 07:08:24 PM

I know I can come off as quite callous a lot of the time,
:hmm:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 07:08:24 PM

I know I can come off as quite callous a lot of the time, but frankly I need it to stay alive. If I ever drop my guard I'm going to break into a million pieces.

:hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...