Breaking News - Major Terrorist Attack In Oslo, Norway

Started by mongers, July 22, 2011, 09:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2011, 04:59:19 PM
I've heard mutterings about how the anti-blond policies of this government could have "serious consequences", but I always imagined we'd have to dye our hair.

I hope for you personally it never goes past the talking stage. :(

Pat

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 05:00:38 PM
Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2011, 04:38:54 PM
Quote from: Pat on July 22, 2011, 04:34:27 PM
"And, it could be that it's by no means a right-winger, but a more Baader-Meinhof type leftist who thinks the Labour Party is a tool of bourgeoisie oppression. I know some of those."

Single example of something similar to this for the reasons you describe?

Brigado Rosso. Baader-Meinhof. Carlos the Jackal. Granted, that's thirty odd years ago, and it looks more and more like this was a right-winger. The apparent close-range murder of at least ten youths indicate that the man in question had very personal issues with the Labour Party.

Or maybe he's just a wacko without any coherent political ideology, like the Arizona shooter.  That would surely disappoint those already certain that it's a right-winger.

It might have been a coincidence it was the labour youth and not the boy scouts being attacked or it might not be a coincidence. What do you think?

Norgy

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 05:00:38 PM

Or maybe he's just a wacko without any coherent political ideology, like the Arizona shooter.  That would surely disappoint those already certain that it's a right-winger.

Anyone who's butchering people at close range does lack a bit of coherence, ideologically and otherwise.

derspiess

Quote from: Pat on July 22, 2011, 05:05:18 PM
It might have been a coincidence it was the labour youth and not the boy scouts being attacked or it might not be a coincidence. What do you think?

I think I would rather wait and learn about this guy before I blame his political ideology.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

I'm off to a vigil. It'll hopefully help quell this feeling of utter helplessness despite not actually being helpful.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 05:02:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2011, 05:00:28 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 04:46:16 PM
An attack on a purely political target can be justified, even if tenuously, by the fact that it is an attack on agents of the government.

Butchering children for the shock factor can't. It's just murder.

How old would a person have to be before an attack on them could be justified?

I don't know. How old would a person have to be before it's justified to drop a bomb on their wedding party?

I dont understand the question.  You drew a distinction between killing people based on age.  At what point is it no longer unjustifiable to kill a person according to your view?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2011, 05:11:19 PM
I'm off to a vigil. It'll hopefully help quell this feeling of utter helplessness despite not actually being helpful.

I'm rooting for you to nail some lefty chick bro. :cheers:

Slargos

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2011, 05:12:20 PM

I dont understand the question.  You drew a distinction between killing people based on age.  At what point is it no longer unjustifiable to kill a person according to your view?

Of course you don't. When is it justifiable to drop a nuke on a city, according to your view?

Slargos

And so the inevitable medial masturbation about how people are talking about Norway starts. Fabulous. That's my cue to go to bed.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2011, 04:40:12 PM
I'm going to hazard a guess that when all is said and done there's a chick involved.

That, or levels of mental illness that makes any political rationale seem almost incidental - like the guy who shot the congresswoman (or was she a senator?) in Colorado.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Slargos on July 22, 2011, 05:20:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2011, 05:12:20 PM

Of course you don't. When is it justifiable to drop a nuke on a city, according to your view?

I am not taking the position that killing based on age is justified.  You are making such a claim and I am afraid that my vieww regarding dropping a nuke on a city wont help me understand your view.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 05:37:14 PM
That, or levels of mental illness that makes any political rationale seem almost incidental - like the guy who shot the congresswoman (or was she a senator?) in Colorado.

Getting a police uniform and travelling to an island means planning.  Random nut just shows up in a public place and starts banging.

MadImmortalMan

Yes, this thing took a lot of planning and skill to pull off.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 05:00:38 PMOr maybe he's just a wacko without any coherent political ideology, like the Arizona shooter.  That would surely disappoint those already certain that it's a right-winger.

To me that's the most likely possibility at this point.

That said, I think that likely also applies to some of the lone Islamist terrorists that have been caught on occassion. Even if there is nothing approaching a rational framework, I expect that those kind of people still grab bits and pieces from more extreme ideologies around them to fuel their own particular delusions - whether that's from the extreme right wing, the extreme left wing, millenial Christianity, revolutionary Islamism or similar.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2011, 05:40:04 PMGetting a police uniform and travelling to an island means planning.  Random nut just shows up in a public place and starts banging.

Yeah... I'm thinking more a Unabomber or a Travis Bickle level of nuttiness.