News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 11, 2020, 07:03:59 PM
Man, those stats in Montreal are a bit scary.  Hopefully it does not move outside that area as the rest of the Province opens up.

Yeah it's not getting better. I've stopped trying to convince, argue or guilt patients into following the rules. It's too exhausting. Let the chips fall where they may.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2020, 10:57:27 PM
there's that thing in economy called "elasticity".  It does not apply directly here, but the general concept is interesting.  You should read and meditate on it.

Elasticity, in economic terms, means the relationship between price and another variable such as supply (elasticity of supply) or demand (elasticity of demand).  No economist just talks about "a thing... called 'elasticity'."  Maybe you should read up on it and meditate for a bit before misusing the term again. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2020, 12:43:49 PM
Well the Feds went out and negotiated a deal (which, I believe they still haven't announced the details of) with the hereditary chiefs.

Now the elected chiefs are outraged, won't recognize the deal, and are calling for Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett to resign.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stefanovich-wetsuweten-elected-chiefs-mou-fallout-1.5565243

Trudeau probably gave them money. That's his response to everything these days.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2020, 01:42:11 PM
BB Not a surprise at all.  As I mentioned back in February the First Nations in the area are very upset by what the Feds did.  The Feds have created a real mess

I guess. I mean they negotiated with the elected chiefs and got the hereditary ones mad, and then went and made a deal with them to...and got the elected ones mad. So what should the Feds have done here? If the First Nation cannot even decide who is the chief how are the Feds supposed to make that determination?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2020, 07:04:28 AM
Well the Feds went out and negotiated a deal (which, I believe they still haven't announced the details of) with the hereditary chiefs.

Now the elected chiefs are outraged, won't recognize the deal, and are calling for Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett to resign.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stefanovich-wetsuweten-elected-chiefs-mou-fallout-1.5565243

What else could he have offered?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2020, 07:28:12 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2020, 01:42:11 PM
BB Not a surprise at all.  As I mentioned back in February the First Nations in the area are very upset by what the Feds did.  The Feds have created a real mess

I guess. I mean they negotiated with the elected chiefs and got the hereditary ones mad, and then went and made a deal with them to...and got the elected ones mad. So what should the Feds have done here? If the First Nation cannot even decide who is the chief how are the Feds supposed to make that determination?

The First Nation has decided who leads them.  The Feds decided to intrude into the manner in which the Nation makes its decisions and speak only to one small group.  To add to the mess there is a claim that group has itself violated the traditions of the Nation.

This First Nation has female hereditary clan leaders who were forced out, they say illegitimately.  Keep in mind 85% of the Nation voted in favour of the gas pipeline.  And all the removed matrilineal clan leaders are also in favour.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-wetsuweten-chiefs-remove-hereditary-titles-of-three-women-who/

And now the Feds are reported to be negotiating land title issues with this group whose legitimacy is questioned.  As I said, a real mess.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on May 13, 2020, 07:40:37 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 13, 2020, 07:04:28 AM

What else could he have offered?

Authority which is actually what has been given

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2020, 04:22:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2020, 10:57:27 PM
there's that thing in economy called "elasticity".  It does not apply directly here, but the general concept is interesting.  You should read and meditate on it.

Elasticity, in economic terms, means the relationship between price and another variable such as supply (elasticity of supply) or demand (elasticity of demand).  No economist just talks about "a thing... called 'elasticity'."  Maybe you should read up on it and meditate for a bit before misusing the term again.

Did you know you can reply to posters without being a complete fucking asshole? Just an FYI.

Or even abstain from posting at all if you don't have anything constructive to say.

That's why so many people just ignore your posts. You're sad dude.

HVC

Good to see its not just fundy pastors who are being idiots about gatherings during covid. Religions of all stripes are coming together to be dumb

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/stay-off-our-lands-rcmp-attendance-at-indigenous-ceremony-raises-ire-of-chief/ar-BB142hIJ?ocid=spartanntp
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Josephus, Service Canada finally came out with its interpretation clarification - carry on as you have been.  :)

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 13, 2020, 02:00:33 PM
Josephus, Service Canada finally came out with its interpretation clarification - carry on as you have been.  :)

Meaning what? Can you tell me?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Barrister

We are living in such a weird timeline.

Doug Ford (Premier of Ontario) puts a video on Twitter of him making his mom's cherry cheesecake recipe, to give people something to do while they're stuck inside.  And it actually makes the big lug come across as funny and relatable!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

He always seemed like the better Ford, personality wise. He reminds me of Bush. Probably a really nice guy, is where he is because of family, but I don't like him on a political level.