News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 11, 2020, 07:03:59 PM
Man, those stats in Montreal are a bit scary.  Hopefully it does not move outside that area as the rest of the Province opens up.

People there have been throwing "deconfinement" parties with their friends&neighbours early May, when the heat came briefly on, and attended parks as usuals.  The report I get is that people seems to be totally careless about social distancing.  And of course, you have nurses and other hospital staff leaving a hot zone with their uniform still on and using public transportation.

It's really no wonder they're still in a nightmarish zone.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 12, 2020, 04:22:20 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2020, 10:57:27 PM
there's that thing in economy called "elasticity".  It does not apply directly here, but the general concept is interesting.  You should read and meditate on it.

Elasticity, in economic terms, means the relationship between price and another variable such as supply (elasticity of supply) or demand (elasticity of demand).  No economist just talks about "a thing... called 'elasticity'."  Maybe you should read up on it and meditate for a bit before misusing the term again. 
read it again.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on May 13, 2020, 11:51:30 AM
Good to see its not just fundy pastors who are being idiots about gatherings during covid. Religions of all stripes are coming together to be dumb

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/stay-off-our-lands-rcmp-attendance-at-indigenous-ceremony-raises-ire-of-chief/ar-BB142hIJ?ocid=spartanntp

Don't worry, indian religious gatherings are allowed now.  Thanks to the LPC, we now respect the right of religious minorities to say a big "fuck you" to the laws of the country.

Barrister

Phew.  I remembered to re-up my Conservative Party membership.  Today's the deadline.

Pretty much settled on O'Toole as my guy, though I know very little about the candidates besides him and MacKay.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So other candidates are:

Leslyn Lewis.  Immigrated from Jamaica as a young child.  Lawyer, has ran as a candidate once but did not win.  Policies seem fairly standard, maybe a tich more to the centre, with calls to "make sure we can't be accused of having a hidden agenda".  Quite frankly I wonder if someone is bankrolling her candidacy just so the party can't be accused of all its leadership candidates being white men.  I've honestly never heard of her.

Derek Sloan.  Ontario MP (crazily there are no leadership candidates from out west, the party's stronghold).  Slogan is "Conservative without apology".  Looking at his policies that means he's against "cancel culture", and wants to push pro-life.

Yeah, I think O'Toole's my guy.  His campaign website is basically 100% down the middle for the current Conservative party platform.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 15, 2020, 02:36:47 PM
Which ones are anti-Vaxxers?

None of them? :unsure:

Incidentally, one of the ways you can tell that neither Lewis or Sloan are serious candidates is there isn't one word about the coronavirus on their websites (although O'Toole's section reads like it was written in March).

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PRC

Sloans the one who was accused of racism for his comments towards Dr. Tam right?

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on May 15, 2020, 03:09:40 PM
Sloans the one who was accused of racism for his comments towards Dr. Tam right?

Aye.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2020, 12:42:51 PM
We are living in such a weird timeline.

Doug Ford (Premier of Ontario) puts a video on Twitter of him making his mom's cherry cheesecake recipe, to give people something to do while they're stuck inside.  And it actually makes the big lug come across as funny and relatable!

It is insane how Ford has been able to turn his public image around over the course of the pandemic.

He went into it seen as "Trump Lite". He was roundly booed in Toronto.

Now, even those who disliked him (read: most urban folks) have to admit, it's like he had an epiphany of sorts because of the crisis. He's come across as serious about dealing with the crisis, rather than making up bullshit "alternative facts" like the clown to the south. He's told Trump to fuck himself over various issues. He appears to be actually leading.

Don't get me wrong, his actual policies, pandemic aside, have not changed, and I still think they are terrible. What has changed is the general perception of him as a person and as a leader.

Of course, much of that may be the triumph of low expectations.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2020, 02:34:06 PM
So other candidates are:

Leslyn Lewis.  Immigrated from Jamaica as a young child.  Lawyer, has ran as a candidate once but did not win.  Policies seem fairly standard, maybe a tich more to the centre, with calls to "make sure we can't be accused of having a hidden agenda".  Quite frankly I wonder if someone is bankrolling her candidacy just so the party can't be accused of all its leadership candidates being white men.  I've honestly never heard of her.

Derek Sloan.  Ontario MP (crazily there are no leadership candidates from out west, the party's stronghold).  Slogan is "Conservative without apology".  Looking at his policies that means he's against "cancel culture", and wants to push pro-life.

Yeah, I think O'Toole's my guy.  His campaign website is basically 100% down the middle for the current Conservative party platform.

Any of them speak French?
Que le grand cric me croque !