And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on May 06, 2020, 12:53:22 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2020, 04:10:27 PM

My maternal grandfather and his family made a couple of bucks helping the Bronfmans run it across the Saskatchewan/ US border.

As an aside, you really need to read Mordecai Richler's Solomon Gursky Was Here. It's a true Canadian epic with Saskatchewan bootleggers, kosher eskimos, and cannibalism. Among other things.

Thanks, I will add it to my reading list  :)

viper37

More evidence of this law's stupidity:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/incoherent-liberal-firearm-ban-excludes-several-semi-automatics-potentially-outlaws-big-game-hunting-rifles/ar-BB13GbY5?li=AAggNb9

QuoteThe ban, announced late last week, does not include the Chinese-made Norinco Type 97, for example, a semi-automatic version of the standard-issued rifles used by the People's Liberation Army of China. Nor does it include the Russian-designed SKS rifle, the precursor to the popular AK-47; the Israeli-made Tavor .223, a semi-automatic rifle developed with the aid of the Israeli Defense Force, or the Canadian-made WK180-C, which gun publication CalibreMag said "functions much like an AR-15", a firearm Justin Trudeau was at pains to highlight.

Meanwhile, the list bans a number of bolt-action hunting rifles used for large game. Some retailers worry the restrictions could also extend to accessorized shotguns used in bird hunts, due to broad language used in the regulations. A spokesperson for Public Safety Minister Bill Blair on Tuesday said the ban would not include shotguns, and was preparing an official statement on the matter as the National Post went to press.

Don't ban the chinese made assault weapons, but ban rifles used for hunting.  Someone has a very powerful lobby active here.  Like we didn't know how easily "influenced" this govt could be.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Not everything is corruption and lobbying. How many Chinese rifles are actually sold in Canada each year? Come on.

I blame general government incompetence.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on May 06, 2020, 08:23:19 PM
Not everything is corruption and lobbying. How many Chinese rifles are actually sold in Canada each year? Come on.

Shockingly the government banned weapons currently being used rather than banning weapons not being used by Canadians

viper37

From the LPC?  I'm betting on intense lobbyism.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2020, 11:03:58 AM

Shockingly the government banned weapons currently being used rather than banning weapons not being used by Canadians
there's that thing in economy called "elasticity".  It does not apply directly here, but the general concept is interesting.  You should read and meditate on it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2020, 10:57:27 PM

there's that thing in economy called "elasticity".  It does not apply directly here, but the general concept is interesting.  You should read and meditate on it.

Once a government decides to ban by description, that description will inevitably need to be amended from time to time. 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 08, 2020, 08:22:23 AM
Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2020, 10:57:27 PM

Once a government decides to ban by description, that description will inevitably need to be amended from time to time.

Heh, I'm picturing a fellow with an infallible plan to make money by importing rifles not on the list, only to discover the government can update the list very quickly.

Where's that "surprised Pikachu face" pic when you need it? 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on May 08, 2020, 08:30:27 AM
Heh, I'm picturing a fellow with an infallible plan to make money by importing rifles not on the list, only to discover the government can update the list very quickly.

Where's that "surprised Pikachu face" pic when you need it? 😄
Oh yeah, this government is totally known for its quick and flawless decision process.  We've seen multiple times before.  It's unfortunate I was asleep these times.

crazy canuck

The thing I think they can be criticized for is they struck a compromise that undermines the intent of the legislation

crazy canuck

Man, those stats in Montreal are a bit scary.  Hopefully it does not move outside that area as the rest of the Province opens up.

Barrister

Hey remember a couple of months ago when the big story was the Trans-Mountain Pipeline and those big aboriginal led protests that included blocking trains?

Well the Feds went out and negotiated a deal (which, I believe they still haven't announced the details of) with the hereditary chiefs.

Now the elected chiefs are outraged, won't recognize the deal, and are calling for Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett to resign.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stefanovich-wetsuweten-elected-chiefs-mou-fallout-1.5565243
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

The elected chiefs are aiming their anger at the wrong target.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

BB Not a surprise at all.  As I mentioned back in February the First Nations in the area are very upset by what the Feds did.  The Feds have created a real mess