News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football '11-'12

Started by katmai, March 08, 2011, 11:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

:) Wyoming has been bad for a while, but not THAT bad.  As recently as the 2000s Wyoming has been in the top 25.

We are just a little state, often overlooked, and that is part of it.  I like to play up Wyoming's awfulness as a football team, but in reality the team has won conference championships, gone to (and won some) bowl games, and finished in the top 25 a number of times.  Wyoming is just not that good consistently, like many other smaller D-1 schools.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Of course, Laramie is NOT a garden spot...that might have something to do with it.  Coaching in a town of 30k people, high up and a bit cold for 5 months of the year (and somewhat cold another 2 months...) might be the reason...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

What do you guys thing the worst job in 1A is?  Eastern Michigan?  Memphis?  Vandy?  Utah State?

PDH

-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

I'd have to go with EMU.  Ypsilanti sucks, there is no fan support that I am aware of, and the team itself generally sucks. 

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 18, 2011, 09:28:01 PM
I'd have to go with EMU.  Ypsilanti sucks, there is no fan support that I am aware of, and the team itself generally sucks. 

I don't know the details, but I've read that the institutional support for the football program isn't really even up to 1AA standards, that it's more on the level you expect at a Division II school, but that the Michigan legislature insists that they stay in 1A.  If that's true, it probably is the worst job in 1A

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 09:47:45 PM
I don't know the details, but I've read that the institutional support for the football program isn't really even up to 1AA standards, that it's more on the level you expect at a Division II school, but that the Michigan legislature insists that they stay in 1A.  If that's true, it probably is the worst job in 1A

I've heard stuff about them being underfunded and all that, mostly from my wife, but nothing specific to the level it would be more normal for.  I do know they are one of those that would probably be better off dropping down a level.

Hey they're bowl eligible this year though, at least.  Maybe they'll get in one and shock some poor slob team that doesn't want to be on the same field as the famed Eagles. 

e:  Well they've got 6 wins.  I didn't look at who they've beaten though, so maybe not.  E2: Nevermind, they need one more.  They've got Ws over Howard and Alabama State.

PDH

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 18, 2011, 10:07:39 PM
Maybe they'll get in one and shock some poor slob team that doesn't want to be on the same field as the famed Eagles.

Shhhh!  That is Wyoming's strategy to win bowl games...well, replace Eagles with Cowboys.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Yesssssssssssss

ISU with the big win

jimmy olsen

Now if only LSU loses to Arkansas or Georgia there will be complete chaos.  :menace:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 18, 2011, 11:52:12 PM
Yesssssssssssss

ISU with the big win

Everybody is getting laid tonight in Ames.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 18, 2011, 10:07:39 PM
Quote from: dps on November 18, 2011, 09:47:45 PM

I've heard stuff about them being underfunded and all that, mostly from my wife, but nothing specific to the level it would be more normal for.  I do know they are one of those that would probably be better off dropping down a level.

They really are underfunded and have poor football facilities, and are located just a dozen miles form a tam that is far better-known and far more fun to watch, but they are in an all-sports conference, and so the school isn't going to drop a level over football alone.  It isn't a matter of the state legislature.

Having said that, coach English there (former UM DC and a great coach, even if he didn't have his defenses ready until the third game of every season) has done a good job and the team's mojo has turned in a positive direction.  Good for him, but bad for the school, because now he will be hired away.

I don't know if it is the worst job in Div-IA, but if it isn't, the actually winning team must really suck, 'cause the EMU job sucks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Corso dropped the F-Bomb during the headgear segment.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Michigan routs Nebraska to start their half of The Week Before The Game.  M's scoring defense was 110th in the country last year.  The same guys are 5th now.

Ed, looking to see your Bucknuts do the same to Penn State.  I don't think the Buckeyes can do enough to make me think they stand a chance next week, but I always want The Game to mean as much as possible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 19, 2011, 02:20:21 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 18, 2011, 11:52:12 PM
Yesssssssssssss

ISU with the big win

Everybody is getting laid tonight in Ames.

Packing my bags as we speak.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017