News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

If I'm not mistaken Blues Brothers was spun out of a skit.  Or maybe actually a musical performance.

katmai

For spellus.

QuoteTen days after NBC cancelled Hannibal, the series no longer has its cast under contract. I hear that starting today, stars Hugh Dancy and Mads Mikkelsen are free agents, and they are already fielding film and TV offers. Their options expired last night and were not extended by Hannibal producer Gaumont International Television.

Still, the independent production company continues talks with potential distributors. If Hannibal finds a new home, new deals have to be hammered out with both Dancy and Mikkelsen. Still, if the show gets a new season elsewhere and the two are still available, I hear both love the show and have indicated that they would like to reprise their roles as Will Graham and Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Still, there are other, even bigger obstacles for a fourth season of Hannibal. For once, the show has an exclusive deal with Amazon, making a pact with other streaming services virtually impossible. And, more importantly, Hannibal has lost its creative force, developer/executive producer Bryan Fuller to a new series, Starz's American Gods. He remains committed to Hannibal, but a possible fourth season has to wait for him to finish the recently ordered first season of American Gods, which would be a challenge for potential buyers.

"The question would be for the potential new distribution partner is how comfortable they are in waiting," Fuller told Deadline last week. "Because I do have an obligation to American Gods and a passion for American Gods, so I absolutely want to service that in the way that it needs to be serviced."
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

If he wants more Mads Mikkelsen he's being tortured by a naked Rihanna in her new music video.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Saw Inside Out, Pixar's latest, with my kid yesterday. I really enjoyed it. It sounded like something that ought to be trite, but they pulled it off very well - it is, so far, the best animated movie I've seen all year. Not a dry adult eye in the house though!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Have any of you seen Inside Out yet? I'm kinda surprised a new Pixar movie hasn't made more of an impression here.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I will when it it's the On Demand networks.

Go to the movies with a 4 year old? Why would I do that?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

The Wife and daughter watched it, they liked it, have not seen it yet myself.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2015, 10:15:32 AM

I took my kid to a Thomas the Train movie at around that age ... mercifully, I have blotted that experience out.  ;)

This movie is really for older children and adults, though. I don't think very young kids would enjoy it at all.

Savonarola

NY77 The Coolest Year in Hell (2007)

This documentary covers 1977 in New York City; the year of the blackout, the Summer of Sam and the time when New York City was facing financial hardships all at once.  This was also a time of hedonism, with Studio 54 and Plato's Retreat in full force.  It was also a time of creativity as disco reached the mainstream, the bands at CBGB were coming into their own and hip hop was developing.

They interviewed a number of people from the various scenes.  The most entertaining were DJ Disco Wiz and Grandmaster Caz who explained how they used to get power from jacking into the base of street lights and run a series of six foot extension cords to their equipment.  They told about the time they challenged Afrika Bambaataa to a DJ battle; that didn't go so well for them.  Grandmaster Caz told about how he had DJ Disco Wiz protect their equipment during the blackout while he went and looted a mixer.  In those days you had to have all your own equipment to be a DJ.  They said that before the blackout there had been only a handful of DJ crews in New York; afterwards there were hundreds.

The other great part was when Randy Jones (the cowboy from The Village People) claimed to have smoked pot with Lilian Carter at Studio 54.

Most of the people interviewed were young in 1977, so many of them lamented the passing of decaying, decrepit New York for the city it has since become.  In fifteen years I'll probably be telling people what a great place Detroit was in the 1990s.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

:huh:

Because it is a lot of fun.  For them too.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 02, 2015, 10:13:13 AM
Have any of you seen Inside Out yet? I'm kinda surprised a new Pixar movie hasn't made more of an impression here.

<_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on July 02, 2015, 10:13:13 AM

Both my sisters and my youngest sister came to visit last week, and the younger brought her twins (4 year old girls) and oldest daughter (9), so a trip to Inside Out was pretty much mandatory.

My son (15) of course said he was not interested. But one of the twins pretty much worships him, and started crying when she found out she could not sit next to him in the theater. So he relented. So all of us ended up going.

Another great movie and story by Pixar. For a company whose reason for being is their unique animation style, what makes their movies so outstanding is their incredible story telling. How they keep executing that so well, I do not know.

And yeah, there were lots of snuffles all around. :)
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2015, 12:06:19 PM

the 4yo I know don't really stay in place for 90 minutes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2015, 12:47:30 PM

That's because you have never taken them to a movie made for four year olds.  ;)

lustindarkness

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2015, 12:47:30 PM

Duct tape.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom