News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I think the English grow up with accents in a way that most Americans don't.  Outside of the Ozarks we don't have a great deal of trouble understanding any native accent, while Patrick Stewart's native Geordie is only marginally English. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Patrick Stewart speaking in his native Yorkshire (not Geordie though) dialect.  When you grow up with stuff like that you learn how to shift registers in a way that Americans don't.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 06:49:10 PM
I think the English grow up with accents in a way that most Americans don't.  Outside of the Ozarks we don't have a great deal of trouble understanding any native accent, while Patrick Stewart's native Geordie is only marginally Human.

Fixed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 04:19:41 PM
What do you mean by upper North West?  Minnesota-Fargo?  Not everyone up there speaks like that, anyway.

There's also a pretty strong Wisconsin accent.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a Brit who's ever done a really decent non-southern accent.  And only one who's ever botched that one.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2014, 07:52:53 PM

Off the top of my head I can't think of a Brit who's ever done a really decent non-southern accent.  And only one who's ever botched that one.

Hugh Laurie. I didn't realize he was British for years.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Stephen Graham as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire is completely convincing and one of the best things about the show.  Hugh Dancy in Hannibal is unnoticeable.  Anna Friel in Pushing Daisies. 

Eddie Teach

Also Mark Strong in Low Winter Sun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Idris Elba? Hugh Laurie? Charlie Hunnam? I've heard them get praise at least and I don't think any of them have played Southerners.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2014, 07:57:59 PM

Not just British, but this British:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFD01r6ersw
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Hugh Laurie I've never heard at length outside of promos because the promos made him seem like a peckerwood and a bore.  But he does seem to have a very neutral accent in the promos.  I said I'm not aware of Brits doing regional accents.

Al Capone is a very good one.

The others I'm not familiar with.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2014, 08:01:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2014, 07:57:59 PM

Not just British, but this British:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFD01r6ersw
TBH I think Laurie and Fry are kind of like Hindu Avatars of Englishness.  Or at least of a certain type of Oxbridge hyper-educated type. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2014, 07:59:22 PM
Also Mark Strong in Low Winter Sun.
A magnificent actor :wub:

Sadly he does do a lot of shit :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

He's in a Miller High Life or Miller Black or some such piss commercial over here, it's hilarious.  But yeah he's good.

Graham is magnificent though.  I was extremely disappointed by This Is England but he was the best thing on it.  Boardwalk has an embarrassment of acting riches but Graham manages to hold his own against Michael Shannon, who is basically Acting Jesus. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2014, 08:03:09 PM
The others I'm not familiar with.
Idris Elba is Stringer Bell in The Wire.

Charlie Hunnam's in Sons of Anarchy. I've not watched it myself, but some people like it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2014, 08:06:15 PM
Idris Elba is Stringer Bell in The Wire.

Charlie Hunnam's in Sons of Anarchy. I've not watched it myself, but some people like it.

Not seen either.

I know, I know, The Wire is must see.  It'll happen eventually.

If anyone's curious, the one shyte British southern accent is Bloody Tarleton in Black Hawk Down.