News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I liked This is England a lot. This is England 86 was brilliant too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 08:05:57 PM
Michael Shannon, who is basically Acting Jesus.

I liked Terence Stamp's Zod better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2014, 08:08:27 PM
If anyone's curious, the one shyte British southern accent is Bloody Tarleton in Black Hawk Down.
Which character/actor?

Half the cast of Black Hawk Down are British. Though it's a dreadful film.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2014, 08:12:04 PM
Which character/actor?

Half the cast of Black Hawk Down are British. Though it's a dreadful film.

It's a great film.  All except for that one scene of driving out from the airfield with the Michael Bay music playing.

The dude who played Bloody Tarleton in The Patriot.

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 12:36:59 AM
I think I'm done with The Walking Dead.  That was an extremely manipulative, childish attempt at psychology.

[spoiler]I only thought the voice-over at the end was a bit much. Rest of it was fine though I did wonder why Carol didn't just kill her immediately after getting the gun.  I was happy to see us closing the Karen narrative. How long did they even date?![/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2014, 08:14:37 PM
It's a great film.  All except for that one scene of driving out from the airfield with the Michael Bay music playing.

The dude who played Bloody Tarleton in The Patriot.
These you've seen, but the Wire you missed? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2014, 08:16:28 PM
These you've seen, but the Wire you missed? :P

:mellow:  I see what I can on cable.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2014, 08:14:46 PM
I think I'm done with The Walking Dead.  That was an extremely manipulative, childish attempt at psychology.

[spoiler]I only thought the voice-over at the end was a bit much. Rest of it was fine though I did wonder why Carol didn't just kill her immediately after getting the gun.  I was happy to see us closing the Karen narrative. How long did they even date?![/spoiler]
[spoiler]It was lazy, stupid, poorly plotted and relied far too heavily on some not particularly great child actors.  They'd established that that little girl didn't understand that the zombies aren't really people, but it went from that to active violence towards human beings without her understanding why people shouldn't murder their siblings.  It also wasn't explained how she managed to kill her sister, when her sister was smarter than she was and there was little evidence of a struggle.. 

It was a lazy, silly attempt at adding shock and pathology to a show that has always lacked it.  I have trouble believing that a girl with a zombie-fetish would survive that long, anyway.[/spoiler]
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Believe

first episode, beautifully shot with a cinematic feel with virtually every shot looking interesting and classy, use of light, shapes and framing obviously well thought out - directed by Alfonsó Cuaron (director of Gravity)

second episode, felt like formula tv direction on a budget. - directed by Omar Madha

I watched the episodes back to back, never cared for cinematography, until now. Not to diss Madha or anything, I'm sure he had a much much much smaller budget and time to work with. I think seeing the stark contrast between styles, vision, time and energy placed on filming made me conscious of it's emotional effect on me. Had I watched the episodes one at a time I probably would have missed it and been effected but not noticed. It was almost like I heard the background music for the first time and realized it was having an effect on me.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 08:22:05 PM

[spoiler]It was lazy, stupid, poorly plotted and relied far too heavily on some not particularly great child actors.  They'd established that that little girl didn't understand that the zombies aren't really people, but it went from that to active violence towards human beings without her understanding why people shouldn't murder their siblings.  It also wasn't explained how she managed to kill her sister, when her sister was smarter than she was and there was little evidence of a struggle.. 

It was a lazy, silly attempt at adding shock and pathology to a show that has always lacked it.  I have trouble believing that a girl with a zombie-fetish would survive that long, anyway.[/spoiler]

it was also in the comic book.. so... yeah...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

[spoiler]Her condition obviously worsened over time. Also, if that girl was in the governor's town(can't remember for sure), the "civilians" were kept fairly oblivious of what was going on outside.[/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Alfonso Cuaron's one of my favourite directors. His Harry Potter is wonderful :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 08:22:05 PM

[spoiler]It was lazy, stupid, poorly plotted and relied far too heavily on some not particularly great childhood actors.  They'd established that that little girl didn't understand that the zombies aren't really people, but it went from that to active violence towards human beings without her understanding why people shouldn't murder their siblings.  It also wasn't explained how she managed to kill her sister, when her sister was smarter than she was and there was little evidence of a struggle.. 

[spoiler]Meh it was closing of the chapter on that. I thought it followed fine enough her confusion about the world and what was wrong and right. Particularly telling was her sort of reaction to being forced to kill the zombies. I think it would have been heavy handed had we had to spend more time on their issues and frankly uninteresting.

I'm not sure I understand the lack of shock or even pathology in the show. Sure the former hasn't been around for a bit but to say it is new? I remember finding plenty that was shocking near the beginning.  Similarly, while sure it hasn't waded into the DSM, I think pathology has been ever present as we encounter a flurry of disordered thinking and failure to cope in this new reality (woman who decides to go down in the CDC?).

Fair enough on the girl though as much as we know of her, until the prison she didn't have a lot of time to hang out with them.[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2014, 08:28:36 PM
[spoiler]Her condition obviously worsened over time. Also, if that girl was in the governor's town(can't remember for sure), the "civilians" were kept fairly oblivious of what was going on outside.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]She wasn't born in the town even if she was from there, and saw her father turn IIRC.  She was there during the outbreak.   They seemed to imply that she was sociopathic or psychopathic but at the same time she responds emotionally to shame and makes emotional attatchments.  It's massively inconsistent characterization and the actress was never up to it.  [/spoiler]
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

[spoiler]Those really do seem to be pretty few and far between, though.  Rick had that awkward speaking with ghosts period, and there's the fear that Carl has what would in the non-Zombie world be called a conduct disorder.  But beyond that, I really don't think the show deals with the fact that they all live in communities where everyone is constantly living with PTSD.  All of these people should have massive emotional and psychological problems, especially the kids, but I don't think it's ever handled well, or interestingly.  [/spoiler]