And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 17, 2014, 08:17:58 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2014, 08:16:37 AM
Many Americans don't mind funny British accents so they've managed to export quite a few lately.

Most of the people I know who love British shows are women.  Probably that "omg, the accent is so sexy/cultured/intellectual" thing.  :P

And how would that not apply to spanish accents? I suspect the instruction manual for the garbage disposal might sound sexy in spanish.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on March 17, 2014, 11:48:32 AM
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009).  Initially very funny, its narrative cohesion and drive really peter out toward the end, so that even at barely over 90 minutes, the thing still feels ten to twenty minutes too long; unfortunately, its Andersonism, however rank, isn't enough to entirely salvage it.  On the plus side, the stop motion animals have stopped being creepy by then.

B

Something's wrong with you, son.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on March 17, 2014, 02:57:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 17, 2014, 11:48:32 AM
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009).  Initially very funny, its narrative cohesion and drive really peter out toward the end, so that even at barely over 90 minutes, the thing still feels ten to twenty minutes too long; unfortunately, its Andersonism, however rank, isn't enough to entirely salvage it.  On the plus side, the stop motion animals have stopped being creepy by then.

B

Something's wrong with you, son.

Is there anything right with him?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Viking on March 17, 2014, 02:13:30 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 17, 2014, 08:17:58 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 17, 2014, 08:16:37 AM
Many Americans don't mind funny British accents so they've managed to export quite a few lately.

Most of the people I know who love British shows are women.  Probably that "omg, the accent is so sexy/cultured/intellectual" thing.  :P

And how would that not apply to spanish accents? I suspect the instruction manual for the garbage disposal might sound sexy in spanish.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2014, 01:35:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2014, 09:34:05 AM
I find it always interesting when British actors play Americans on TV (Band of Brothers, The Wire etc.).

They typically do much better than American actors playing Brits.

Does that carry over into regional accents? I'm trying to think about the last time I saw a British actor doing a Boston accent for instance. Though maybe they do it so well I didn't even know. :blush:

Reason I ask is that I seem to think a big problem Americans have is that we often mix up different bits from different parts of the UK (and more specifically English locales).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Brits often seem to carry off a Southern US accent pretty well as long as they don't overdo it. By contrast, I don't know if I've ever heard one attempt an upper midwest accent.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

What do you mean by upper North West?  Minnesota-Fargo?  Not everyone up there speaks like that, anyway.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 04:19:41 PM
  Not everyone up there speaks like that, anyway.

Most Southerners don't sound like Scarlett O'Hara either(played by a Brit  :lol:).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Continuum, it's ok, of course it is only ok, it's canadian. But holy shit, they take their time travel paradoxes seriously. Grandfather paradox eh?

First season was "yeah, nice" second season was "meh, ok", s03e01 was, "cool, eh", hope they keep it up.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on March 17, 2014, 10:07:49 AM
I dunno.  I like Whit Stillman movies okay.

Really? :huh:  I've only seen "Metropolitan," but I didn't find it all that charming.  And charming seemed to be what it was striving for.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Queequeg

You didn't like Metropolitan?  Wasn't it kind of, um, about you?  Ivy League New York native 20somethings?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

The only Canadian show we get over here nowadays is Lost Girl. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure  :blush:

Viking

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2014, 06:21:09 PM
The only Canadian show we get over here nowadays is Lost Girl. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure  :blush:

gave up on that some time ago... that show needs more freaky murderous succubii sex.

celedhring

Quote from: Viking on March 17, 2014, 06:26:10 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2014, 06:21:09 PM

gave up on that some time ago... that show needs more freaky murderous succubii sex.

That's what drove me to it... although it has become tamer as the seasons go.

I'm also a sucker for underworld conspiracies and such.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2014, 01:35:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2014, 09:34:05 AM
I find it always interesting when British actors play Americans on TV (Band of Brothers, The Wire etc.).

They typically do much better than American actors playing Brits.
My theory, which is in no way backed by any evidence, is that theatre trained actors do it better.
Let's bomb Russia!