News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I guess that's the difference.  There's some elements of The Walking Dead I like but, as you'd guess from the fact that I'm ready to give it up, I'd pretty dramatically change it if I was a writer or something. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 17, 2014, 08:55:57 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 06:12:55 PM
You didn't like Metropolitan?  Wasn't it kind of, um, about you?  Ivy League New York native 20somethings?

:lol: :lol: Yeah, just like Sheilbh's life in the dynastic family castle.
(That was largely sarcastic.)
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Garbo, you're probably looking for an adventure-horror series, but I really want Deadwood with zombies, only replace post-ACW PTSD with post-zombie apocalypse PTSD. 

HVC

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 09:37:50 PM
I guess that's the difference.  There's some elements of The Walking Dead I like but, as you'd guess from the fact that I'm ready to give it up, I'd pretty dramatically change it if I was a writer or something. 
ya, but your show would be canceled after the third episode.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2014, 10:18:59 PM
boom shakalaka
episode two would veer off into some awkward 30 minute monologue by rick about how zombies are comparable to the Russian empire.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Walking dead- the story was pretty messed up bit... I don't know. The way it unfolded just did nothing. It was too blunt and unreal
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: HVC on March 17, 2014, 10:15:59 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 09:37:50 PM
ya, but your show would be canceled after the third episode.
I was going to disagree with this, but then remembered that all the shows I was stealing ideas from for my hypothetical Walking Dead didn't live past Season 3.

MadImmortalMan

You have to turn Walking Dead into a cop show.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

American Shameless- OK. Why do I recognise Carl's girlfriend?
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 17, 2014, 06:05:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 17, 2014, 10:07:49 AM
I dunno.  I like Whit Stillman movies okay.

Really? :huh:  I've only seen "Metropolitan," but I didn't find it all that charming.  And charming seemed to be what it was striving for.

I like Barcelona and Last Days of Disco.  I presume I dislike Damsels in Distress--Greta Gerwig and all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I'm curious as to whether Habbaku thinks I rated Fox too high or too low. :D

West Side Story (1961).  It's hard to say if I like the songs for themselves--for I don't think a one of them could exist independently of the film as something one would especially want to listen to--or if I like them because their cultural omnipresence triggered long-dormant memories--most notably in regards to a bunch of MST3K reference jokes I suddenly got.  But this musical is pretty fun, musically; and I love the dance choreography despite and perhaps because of its intrinsic laughability; and I love the way Wise films this movie; and I love Romeo and Juliet; and the pace Wise gives the material--well, it's simply stunning how quickly its two and a half hours pass.

A high B+ but if my girlfriend asks, it's a low A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on March 17, 2014, 11:00:21 PM
Walking dead- the story was pretty messed up bit... I don't know. The way it unfolded just did nothing. It was too blunt and unreal

I thought it was a pretty effective commentary of what happens to people affected with mental illness when they don't get their pills anymore in the post apocalypse world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive