News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Incredibles sequel

QuoteIncredibles creator Brad Bird is currently "working on the story" for the sequel to his much-beloved 2004 movie.

Ideologue

Then that is excellent.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 18, 2014, 07:24:22 AM
I'm curious as to whether Habbaku thinks I rated Fox too high or too low. :D

West Side Story (1961).  It's hard to say if I like the songs for themselves--for I don't think a one of them could exist independently of the film as something one would especially want to listen to--or if I like them because their cultural omnipresence triggered long-dormant memories--most notably in regards to a bunch of MST3K reference jokes I suddenly got.  But this musical is pretty fun, musically; and I love the dance choreography despite and perhaps because of its intrinsic laughability; and I love the way Wise films this movie; and I love Romeo and Juliet; and the pace Wise gives the material--well, it's simply stunning how quickly its two and a half hours pass.

A high B+ but if my girlfriend asks, it's a low A

All this tells me is that your girlfriend has marginally better taste than you, but at least she's got the sense to be in the right ball park.

I give West Side Story, and the future nutsack punch I owe you for giving it a B+, an A+

Eddie Teach

Greatest musical ever, so B+ sounds right.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 18, 2014, 06:59:36 PM
Greatest musical ever, so B+ sounds right.  :P
The greatest movie musical ever is An American in Paris, followed closely by Singing in the Rain and Kiss Me Kate, then West Side Story.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Apart from the Jets' song and Everyting fine in America the songs in West Side Story are pretty crap.

That Everything Fine dance scene is one rocking scene however. :punk:

Eddie Teach

Gee, Officer Krupke is a great song too.

I hated An American in Paris.

BTW, Yi, the song is just called "America".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Exit Through the Gift Shop- The best quote is by the artist Banksy "It was at that point that I realised that maybe Terry wasn't actually a film maker and he was maybe just somebody with mental problems who happened to have a camera"
Surprisingly entertaining documentary about a weird French guy who films everything he sees and via a fortuitous family link gets involved with the street art scene, eventually becoming friends with Banksy.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Was watching a movie called "Flyboys" on Amazon Instant video.  It's a dull, generic and cliched film.  Though it occurs to me that you could make a good film out of it, if you focused on the black character (who was based on a real guy who fought for France in the war).  A story about an African American who fights for his adopted homeland because he refused to be a second class citizen in his own country is an interesting tale.  A story of a generic pretty boy soldier who gets in token conflict with troubled his commander and watches as his band of rag-tag cliches get shot down is not.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2014, 12:18:13 PM
Was watching a movie called "Flyboys" on Amazon Instant video.  It's a dull, generic and cliched film.  Though it occurs to me that you could make a good film out of it, if you focused on the black character (who was based on a real guy who fought for France in the war).  A story about an African American who fights for his adopted homeland because he refused to be a second class citizen in his own country is an interesting tale.  A story of a generic pretty boy soldier who gets in token conflict with troubled his commander and watches as his band of rag-tag cliches get shot down is not.

Thought the same when I first watched it. They had a pretty interesting story right in front of their noses and went for the lame and generic instead. It is also unreasonably long.

Still, a WWI flying aces flick isn't something we get too often, there's a bunch of air stunts and action scenes that don't look too realistic to me, but I'll admit to my ignorance of the actual capabilities of those planes.

Admiral Yi

The downtrodden negro showing up his hillbilly oppressors isn't a much fresher one than pretty boy with authority issues learns the meaning of responsibility.

Ideologue

I've been meaning to watch 1927's Wings.  It sounds pretty amazing.  Actual airplanes and actual stunts.  It won the precursor to the Best Picture Oscar, but it's pretty long for a silent film.

I have had some difficulty locating a copy of 1971's Zeppelin. :(
Kinemalogue

garbon

Broad City. I think that show finally hit its stride.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.