News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

[spoiler]I think the games are way better plotted, and the characters are a lot more realistic.[/spoiler]
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 06:12:55 PM
You didn't like Metropolitan?  Wasn't it kind of, um, about you?  Ivy League New York native 20somethings?

:lol: :lol: Yeah, just like Sheilbh's life in the dynastic family castle.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

And I don't even like Downton Abbey that much.

(The writer of Downton Abbey - and Gosford Park - Lord Fellowes does live a couple of miles from my parents. He gives prizes at the County Fair and judges local drama contests.)
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 08:40:32 PM
[spoiler]Those really do seem to be pretty few and far between, though.  Rick had that awkward speaking with ghosts period, and there's the fear that Carl has what would in the non-Zombie world be called a conduct disorder.  But beyond that, I really don't think the show deals with the fact that they all live in communities where everyone is constantly living with PTSD.  All of these people should have massive emotional and psychological problems, especially the kids, but I don't think it's ever handled well, or interestingly.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think that would be dull and rather a different show. I'm kinda glad they didn't decide to create Walking Mental Illness. :P

More earnestly, I think that they have done enough with their bouts of looking at mental illness (even when they don't necessarily talk about like with the Governor or the suicidal woman. I thought the return of that character from season one was dreadful as Rick tried to confront his PTSD.

Wait, hold up, weren't you just dissing the second season of the one critically acclaimed game? Besides apart from those brothers on the farm and the kidnapper who is the large cast of mentally ill?[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2014, 08:58:19 PM
And I don't even like Downton Abbey that much.

I really liked season 1 that got me snookered me into 2. I'm still stuck somewhere in season 3.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2014, 08:03:09 PM
Hugh Laurie I've never heard at length outside of promos because the promos made him seem like a peckerwood and a bore
You couldn't be more wrong.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2014, 08:12:04 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 17, 2014, 08:08:27 PM
If anyone's curious, the one shyte British southern accent is Bloody Tarleton in Black Hawk Down.
Which character/actor?

Half the cast of Black Hawk Down are British. Though it's a dreadful film.
:wacko: It's one of the best war movies ever.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I said I'm not aware of Brits doing regional accents.
Yeah which was my comment too. I wasn't stating they can't do "generic" American.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 17, 2014, 09:04:02 PM
Hugh Laurie I've never heard at length outside of promos because the promos made him seem like a peckerwood and a bore

I'd rather vomit than be forced to watch an episode of House.

katmai

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2014, 09:08:00 PM

I knew there was some good in you.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Just watched THAT Walking Dead episode and came to this conclusion:

[spoiler]The Apocalypse is not a safe place for little girls.[/spoiler]

That's my conclusion.

Thanks.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2014, 09:02:19 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2014, 08:40:32 PM
[spoiler]Those really do seem to be pretty few and far between, though.  Rick had that awkward speaking with ghosts period, and there's the fear that Carl has what would in the non-Zombie world be called a conduct disorder.  But beyond that, I really don't think the show deals with the fact that they all live in communities where everyone is constantly living with PTSD.  All of these people should have massive emotional and psychological problems, especially the kids, but I don't think it's ever handled well, or interestingly.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think that would be dull and rather a different show. I'm kinda glad they didn't decide to create Walking Mental Illness. :P

More earnestly, I think that they have done enough with their bouts of looking at mental illness (even when they don't necessarily talk about like with the Governor or the suicidal woman. I thought the return of that character from season one was dreadful as Rick tried to confront his PTSD.

Wait, hold up, weren't you just dissing the second season of the one critically acclaimed game? Besides apart from those brothers on the farm and the kidnapper who is the large cast of mentally ill?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Clementine grew up too fast but she's a great character and clearly dealing with psychological trauma.  Nick is clearly not handling events properly in the latest episode.  Alternatively, Lee's combination of anger, intelligence, capacity to act violently but simultaneously maintain empathetic relationships made him a survivor and leader.[/spoiler]
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2014, 09:10:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2014, 09:08:00 PM

I knew there was some good in you.

My bile? :lol:

Queequeg

Garb, I'd suggest looking at Night of the Living Dead for what I am talking about.  A lot of the movie is about people's reaction to trauma.  Three characters are completely unable to deal with the fact that their family member is now an animated corpse intent on eating them, and are all devoured.  Ben-besides being a marvelous reversal of pre-late 60s racial stereotype-is also clearly traumatized and horrified by what is going on, but is able to deal relatively effectively with the situation. 

garbon

I've seen Night of the Living Dead. I'm sure it doesn't need to be said that a film is different than a multi-season tv show.

Also, as I think I sort of suggested earlier, it looks like you're looking for a very different show. FWIW, I'm mostly glad with the one we got.