News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2014, 10:54:18 AM
The True Detective finale was watched by less than 1% of the American population - I'd get my arse on the street if I ever wrote a show with such abysmal ratings, but there it has been considered, legitimately, a hit.
You're looking at the numbers the wrong way.  This is "cable tv", i.e. pay tv, a channel for wich you must subscribe on top or your basic channels.  You got to look at it on the number of households connected to HBO to see if it's a hit or not.  I suspect Game of Thrones isn't significantly higher on its first run.

They are most likely losing money on the first season, but they will recoup their losses with a second season and sales to other network stations for a second run.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2014, 02:36:26 PM
The Yugoslavs rose up when the Comintern told them to.  It is the same shit as everywhere else, suddenly after their own country had been easily overrun did the Commies suddenly decide around July 1941 or so that maybe the Germans were not brother workers after all.
Tito started Communist resistance almost immediately after the German invasion, he was never great at following Stalin's instructions. The Chetniks also resisted straight away. But anyway it's only about a month from the invasion of Yugoslavia to Barbarossa.

And yeah I've been to Croatia and Bosnia and the terrain looks like it'd be absolute hell to occupy.
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

The Crazy Ones looks like it was canceled.  :(

Does all of TV have to be filled with cop shows?  :mad:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 16, 2014, 06:03:14 PM
Does all of TV have to be filled with cop shows?  :mad:

:lol:

The Crazy Ones just didn't click with everybody.  People want their predictability in television.  It's comforting.  Why do you think True Detective [spoiler]ended the way it did?[/spoiler]

At least they renewed 2 Broke Girls.  Kat Dennings is so, so dirty. :licklips:

The Larch

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2014, 06:09:10 PM
At least they renewed 2 Broke Girls

Yeah, cause there's a real shortage of retarded sitcoms out there.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2014, 06:54:22 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2014, 06:09:10 PM
At least they renewed 2 Broke Girls

Yeah, cause there's a real shortage of retarded sitcoms out there.  :huh:

There's a shortage of retarded sitcoms with Kat Dennings.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2014, 05:25:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2014, 10:54:18 AM
The True Detective finale was watched by less than 1% of the American population - I'd get my arse on the street if I ever wrote a show with such abysmal ratings, but there it has been considered, legitimately, a hit.
You're looking at the numbers the wrong way.  This is "cable tv", i.e. pay tv, a channel for wich you must subscribe on top or your basic channels.  You got to look at it on the number of households connected to HBO to see if it's a hit or not.  I suspect Game of Thrones isn't significantly higher on its first run.

They are most likely losing money on the first season, but they will recoup their losses with a second season and sales to other network stations for a second run.
Game of Thrones was profitible right off the bat. They were able to sell it to more countries for a higher price than any of their previous shows.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

2 Broke Girls? Really Seedy???
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

I just watch it for the eye candy.  The so, so dirty eye candy. 

katmai

Only if on mute, then maybe.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

You're such a misogynist.  You disgust me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on March 16, 2014, 07:23:11 PM
Only if on mute, then maybe.

Or dubbed in a language you can't understand.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Magic Mike is legitimately one of my favorite movies from the last decade.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."