News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Poland was overrun, certainly, but there was never anything close to real collaborationist government and the partisan movement was pretty widespread.  Also, the Yugoslavs pretty much have the unique and heroic claim of having largely self-liberated.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

You know who resisted the Germans?  America.  You gutless commie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2014, 02:21:03 PM
You know who resisted the Germans?  America.  You gutless commie.

Yep, just would have been better if the US had started resisting when Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc etc etc did.

Ideologue

It's not our fault.  Our government type gave us massive dissent penalties for any unilateral DOW. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

A lot of AmeriKKKans liked Hitler. :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Anyway, the same criticism could be leveled at the Soviets, and then some. :P

I wouldn't really though.  QQ knows I kid.  The USSR needed time and space, thanks to the explicit hostility of Poland, the UK, and France to the overtures Stalin and Molotov made toward their respective governments, knowing damned well the Union needed to brace itself against the Nazis.
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 01:12:15 PM
Poland was overrun, certainly, but there was never anything close to real collaborationist government and the partisan movement was pretty widespread.  Also, the Yugoslavs pretty much have the unique and heroic claim of having largely self-liberated.

The Germans did not really give them much reason to collaborate.  Further complicating this was that the Polish brand of fascism was also already in charge at the time so they did not view the Germans as potential buddies like the ones in other countries. 

The Yugoslavs rose up when the Comintern told them to.  It is the same shit as everywhere else, suddenly after their own country had been easily overrun did the Commies suddenly decide around July 1941 or so that maybe the Germans were not brother workers after all. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2014, 02:28:48 PM
I wouldn't really though.  QQ knows I kid.  The USSR needed time and space, thanks to the explicit hostility of Poland, the UK, and France to the overtures Stalin and Molotov made toward their respective governments, knowing damned well the Union needed to brace itself against the Nazis.

So they took a bunch of indefensible territory that only succeeded in getting huge armies surrounded and destroyed?  They decided to invade a bunch of countries and get thousands of their men killed?  They decided to allow Germany to gain immense strength by giving them carte blanche to conquer Europe and build up a large number of client states?  I guess when I think about preparing for war I think about strengthening my armies and defenses not fatally weakening them and opposing my enemy not working hard to make them stronger.  but I clearly am not up on Commie strategy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Look, hindsight is 20/20.
Kinemalogue

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2014, 02:27:00 PM
It's not our fault.  Our government type gave us massive dissent penalties for any unilateral DOW. :(
Stab hit alone would have killed you.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2014, 02:45:45 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2014, 02:28:48 PM

So they took a bunch of indefensible territory that only succeeded in getting huge armies surrounded and destroyed?  They decided to invade a bunch of countries and get thousands of their men killed?  They decided to allow Germany to gain immense strength by giving them carte blanche to conquer Europe and build up a large number of client states?  I guess when I think about preparing for war I think about strengthening my armies and defenses not fatally weakening them and opposing my enemy not working hard to make them stronger.  but I clearly am not up on Commie strategy.

Commie strategy was to let the West and Germany repeat WWI and then march into to help the communist revolts that would break out in those countries.  It wasn't a terrible strategy, it just had the disadvantage of not working.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2014, 02:36:26 PM

The Yugoslavs rose up when the Comintern told them to.  It is the same shit as everywhere else, suddenly after their own country had been easily overrun did the Commies suddenly decide around July 1941 or so that maybe the Germans were not brother workers after all.

I'm fairly certain that the royalist Chetniks fought from day one. Tito's partisans, the Chetniks and the Ustashe spent quite a lot of time fighting each other as well. Not that I am mistaking the Ustashe for anything but collaborators, and the ones that made even the Germans squirm at their actions.

Like Psellus says, Yugoslavia basically threw off occupation themselves and at a horrible cost of life and material. When the OSS and the British finally realised Tito was the one who could get the people's support, they ditched the old Chetniks and the fortunes of war turned for Tito's partisans.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Queequeg

TBH I kind of think of Yugos as European Afghans.  They have a way of making life hell for anyone occupying them.  They actually did pretty well up against a pre-moribund Ottoman Empire with Karajorje, too. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 04:00:45 PM
TBH I kind of think of Yugos as European Afghans.  They have a way of making life hell for anyone occupying them.  They actually did pretty well up against a pre-moribund Ottoman Empire with Karajorje, too.

Visited Croatia last summer. It looked like hellish terrain, and with a summer that wasn't just hot, it was simply too warm to do anything than go for swim after swim until late at night.
Steep mountains and hills everywhere. I climbed a couple of the nearby ones, and I suppose I should be thankful I didn't have a heart attack.

The artist formerly known as Norgy

Jacob