News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 06, 2020, 01:59:44 PM
Watching this year's Bake Off where they went into a Bake Off bubble and it's the most wholesome thing :)
Oh no! An elderly white lady is doing a Bob Marley cake and I am stressed at the number of ways this could wrong :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on October 06, 2020, 02:21:15 PM

Bill and Ted 3.... It's.... Good.

Did a rewatch of the first 2 in preparation and have to say this one holds up. Better than the 2nd one.

Though I can't help but find the timing of this film about guys with failed potential, along with cobra kai with similarish, a bit personal.

So do Zabka, Macchio and Winters.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Black Summer. The anti-Walking Dead. None of that character development nonsense, just an adrenaline rush with zombies that don't need numbers to be a threat.

Sheilbh

:o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiS4EfoBhcc
A one woman show directed by Almodovar and starring Tilda Swinton :o

Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Sounds like you're easy to please. Which everyone knows is untrue.  :P

celedhring

An adaptation of The Human Voice, even, such an Almodóvar play. Hard to top Rossellini's version, but will surely watch.

Sheilbh

My annual binge watch of horror films through the month of October starts with Christine.

I feel like Stephen King 80s teens/coming of age horror is my favourite genre :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

That's actually a pretty good one.  :thumbsup:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Two things I like to watch every year as Halloween fare:

- The movie "The Changeling" - classic old school haunted house story, creepy and atmospheric but not gory or full of jump scares.

- the miniseries "Over the Garden Wall". The ultimate Halloween show, a masterpiece of modern animation. It's criminal how few people have seen this.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

On season 4 of Schitt's Creek and still enjoying it very much. The writing is good, and I'm really rooting for all characters.

Just watched the episode Open Mic in which [spoiler]Patrick sings for David[/spoiler]. I'm not crying, you're crying! :cry: :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on October 08, 2020, 08:53:53 PM

- The movie "The Changeling" - classic old school haunted house story, creepy and atmospheric but not gory or full of jump scares.

- the miniseries "Over the Garden Wall". The ultimate Halloween show, a masterpiece of modern animation. It's criminal how few people have seen this.

I think I've mentioned before but The Changeling is my favourite horror film. As you said, it's all about atmosphere; more about what's unseen-than seen.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on October 09, 2020, 07:55:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 08, 2020, 08:53:53 PM

I think I've mentioned before but The Changeling is my favourite horror film. As you said, it's all about atmosphere; more about what's unseen-than seen.

Indeed, it's my very definition of a classic ghost story. Still gives me chills when many horror movies just bore me.

I strongly recommend Over the Garden Wall - in its own way, also a classic, although a good deal weirder. At first seems like a light fantasy about two brothers wandering about a fantasy landscape, it becomes a lot darker [spoiler] when you realize this is a series of hallucinations they are having while in the process of dying [/spoiler].
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2020, 04:23:45 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 29, 2020, 04:17:13 PM
Started on Star Trek TNG. I didn't see every single episode back in the day. I don't know how far I'll go, but it's soo much nicer to watch it now without commercial breaks.

I got the boys watching Star Trek - Lower Decks.  It's been good.  It's quite accessible to the guys despite having zero knowledge of Star Trek.

Anyone been watching ST: Lower Decks?  Season 1 just wound up.  Season finale was far more epic (and jam packed with Star Trek call-backs) than I thought it wound be.

[spoiler]They visit a planet from TOS!

One of the characters makes a references to TOS - Those Old Scientists!

There's an exocomp officer in Starfleet!

The Pakleds are back - and they mean business!

They kill off a secondary character!

MFing Will Riker saves the day!

And... one of the main characters transfers off the ship![/spoiler]

Holy crap - that was a lot of Star Trek lore, and action, than I expected from a next-gen version of Star Trek: The Animated Series.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.