And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2020, 06:04:22 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2020, 05:35:35 AM
Yeah, one of the great things of this show is that it's one of the few sitcoms where spoilers are a pretty large issue.  :P

Yeah, it's not exactly a "I'll just watch any random episode" kind of sitcom. I also think it's a good thing that it was not stretched out further than 4 seasons.
Speaking of wthich started re-watching Community because lockdown and got to the Dungeons and Dragons episode last night which I hadn't seen in ages, but could watch at just about any time.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Heh, I've been rewatching Community myself too. For some reason it feels perfect.

The Larch

I also thought about rewatching Community these days.  :lol:

Malthus

Yeah, one of the great things of this show is that it's one of the few sitcoms where spoilers are a pretty large issue.  :P

Yeah, it's not exactly a "I'll just watch any random episode" kind of sitcom. I also think it's a good thing that it was not stretched out further than 4 seasons.

I already get that impression - my concern, halfway through the first season, is that there is a limit to the series of revelations which creates a natural limit to the show.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2020, 07:25:31 AM

I already get that impression - my concern, halfway through the first season, is that there is a limit to the series of revelations which creates a natural limit to the show.

Which Seal are they on now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Given that you're the one with less exposure to the show, would you mind sharing your impression a bit further?  :)

celedhring

That's indeed what imho ends up happening. The first two seasons are great TV though. But I'll love to hear your opinion once you get through it.

Josephus

Speaking of old shows, I just started watching Weeds. How did this one slip past me?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2020, 06:20:24 AM
Heh, I've been rewatching Community myself too. For some reason it feels perfect.

That's because it is perfect.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2020, 03:26:55 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2020, 03:15:09 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2020, 08:15:21 PM
Quote from: The Larch on April 21, 2020, 05:30:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2020, 04:40:31 PM
I've been watching The Good Place on Netflix, and I enjoy it more than I thought I would. I usually dislike network serial comedies.

It is a really good show, I binged the last couple of seasons these past few weeks as I missed them when they were shown, and it is really good until the end. The first season is still the best one, when the concept is at its freshest.

That's good to hear - I was wondering if they could keep it sustained.

Well, I am of the opinion they didn't  :P

It jumps the shark in season 3 imho. That said, I haven't watched the final season.

Same here. I think it progressively got worse with noticeable quality drop by Season 3. I've still only seen first half of final season.

Less "Worse" IMO and more completely changes its tone from a telenovella style comedy to more of a drama with comedic elements...and heavy philosophy.

The word worse still works. Especially when what I want is a comedy. But more relevant is that it becomes something totally different.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2020, 07:27:03 AM

Given that you're the one with less exposure to the show, would you mind sharing your impression a bit further?  :)

Be happy to. I have deliberately not looked up reviews etc.

My initial impression was that this was going to be a comedy in which each episode was more or less the same set-up: the protagonist attempts, through some elaborate lying, to convince everyone she deserves to be in the Good Place, and the comedy comes from how she goes about it.

As the season progresses, I am coming to be of the view that the Good Place is, basically, a sort of post-Mortem training exercise, deliberately set up to teach her to be a better person. The "mistake" is not a mistake, in other words, but a deliberate plan.

My concern with the show is that, if I am right, once this revelation drops, there is no-where for the show to go.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2020, 09:42:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2020, 07:27:03 AM

Be happy to. I have deliberately not looked up reviews etc.

My initial impression was that this was going to be a comedy in which each episode was more or less the same set-up: the protagonist attempts, through some elaborate lying, to convince everyone she deserves to be in the Good Place, and the comedy comes from how she goes about it.

As the season progresses, I am coming to be of the view that the Good Place is, basically, a sort of post-Mortem training exercise, deliberately set up to teach her to be a better person. The "mistake" is not a mistake, in other words, but a deliberate plan.

My concern with the show is that, if I am right, once this revelation drops, there is no-where for the show to go.

Well, if that's your impression and you're liking it so far, I think you're really going to enjoy the show.  :)

There's also plenty of philosophy on it, btw, it's not a gimmick.

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2020, 06:09:31 AM
Community ... Dungeons and Dragons episode

That's hands down my favorite. It has a lot of good moments but I almost lost it when Troy starts taking notes.

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on April 21, 2020, 07:35:17 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 21, 2020, 07:31:15 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2020, 06:11:28 PM
'The Huntsmen' - a Kevin Costner film about ex-texas rangers hunting Bonnie and Clyde.

Seems OK,not finished it yet, there's a scene in a gun shop that 11B4V might like.  :)

Oh yea...and I know the guns too :D

FYI The Highwaymen

A very good movie.

Nice music and scenery to.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on April 22, 2020, 06:02:53 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 22, 2020, 06:09:31 AM
Community ... Dungeons and Dragons episode

That's hands down my favorite. It has a lot of good moments but I almost lost it when Troy starts taking notes.

That silent scene is amazing.  :lol:

My favourite would still be the first paintball episode, though. That one was off the charts.