News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 21, 2020, 03:56:06 PM
That's the one with the Daesh-Mexican cartels alliance against the US?
Makes '80s Cannon work realistic.  :P

Yeah, the story is rather ridiculous. Not as much character-driven as the first one either. Still watchable, but you have to turn off your brain for a bit which is a bit disappointing compared with the first film.

Malthus

I've been watching The Good Place on Netflix, and I enjoy it more than I thought I would. I usually dislike network serial comedies.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 21, 2020, 03:56:06 PM
That's the one with the Daesh-Mexican cartels alliance against the US?
Makes '80s Cannon work realistic.  :P

Yeah, not exactly brilliant.

I think I've now largely forgotten the story.

PS  Duque have your remembered yet to sample 'Survivors'?   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2020, 04:40:31 PM
I've been watching The Good Place on Netflix, and I enjoy it more than I thought I would. I usually dislike network serial comedies.

It is a really good show, I binged the last couple of seasons these past few weeks as I missed them when they were shown, and it is really good until the end. The first season is still the best one, when the concept is at its freshest.

mongers

'The Huntsmen' - a Kevin Costner film about ex-texas rangers hunting Bonnie and Clyde.

Seems OK,not finished it yet, there's a scene in a gun shop that 11B4V might like.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2020, 06:11:28 PM
'The Huntsmen' - a Kevin Costner film about ex-texas rangers hunting Bonnie and Clyde.

Seems OK,not finished it yet, there's a scene in a gun shop that 11B4V might like.  :)

Oh yea...and I know the guns too :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on April 21, 2020, 07:31:15 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2020, 06:11:28 PM

Oh yea...and I know the guns too :D

FYI The Highwaymen
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on April 21, 2020, 05:30:56 PM

It is a really good show, I binged the last couple of seasons these past few weeks as I missed them when they were shown, and it is really good until the end. The first season is still the best one, when the concept is at its freshest.

That's good to hear - I was wondering if they could keep it sustained.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Because of hype I watched the first two episodes of Tiger King. Hoo boy. :wacko:

One thing that's weird to me is that they choose to subtitle a few people even though they're quite intelligible (yes, I have subtitles turned off). :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2020, 08:15:21 PM

Well, I am of the opinion they didn't  :P

It jumps the shark in season 3 imho. That said, I haven't watched the final season.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2020, 03:15:09 AM

It jumps the shark in season 3 imho. That said, I haven't watched the final season.

Same here. I think it progressively got worse with noticeable quality drop by Season 3. I've still only seen first half of final season.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah I kind of stopped in season 3 too :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2020, 03:15:09 AM

I disagree. Even if the 3rd season indeed swerves from the first two on its premise, I think it's still more than worthwile, and the fourth is a bit back to the first two in tone. Don't want to go deeper for fear of spoiling Malthus, though.  :P

celedhring

Yeah, one of the great things of this show is that it's one of the few sitcoms where spoilers are a pretty large issue.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2020, 05:35:35 AM
Yeah, one of the great things of this show is that it's one of the few sitcoms where spoilers are a pretty large issue.  :P

Yeah, it's not exactly a "I'll just watch any random episode" kind of sitcom. I also think it's a good thing that it was not stretched out further than 4 seasons.