News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, the first paintball episode is also my favorite. The chicken mob probably the second, but that's probably because I love Scorsese  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2020, 05:42:41 AM
Yeah, the first paintball episode is also my favorite. The chicken mob probably the second, but that's probably because I love Scorsese  :lol:

Yeah, that one is also great. When Abed starts doing a voiceover saying "As long as I can remember I've always wanted to be in a mafia movie" I cracked up.  :lol:

Tonitrus

First episode of "Narcos".

Unbearably boring.

Malthus

After I am finished with the current show, I definitely am interested in seeing "Community". Lots of people seem to enjoy that show.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2020, 04:47:10 PM
After I am finished with the current show, I definitely am interested in seeing "Community". Lots of people seem to enjoy that show.

It's the most original and creative sitcom of the last decade, and a deserved cult classic. It's 6 seasons, IIRC, but the true gems are the first two. After the 4th the show got into internal turnmoil, some cast members left and it got cancelled and picked up by a different network a couple of times.

Josquius

Community starts slow. The first half of series 1 is a struggle, it really comes across as a plodding and not particularly interesting generic comedy as they give each character an intro episode.
But yes. It picks up and gets great. Getting my use out of amazon prime lately rewatching it.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 23, 2020, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2020, 04:47:10 PM

It's the most original and creative sitcom of the last decade, and a deserved cult classic. It's 6 seasons, IIRC, but the true gems are the first two. After the 4th the show got into internal turnmoil, some cast members left and it got cancelled and picked up by a different network a couple of times.

Season 5 still has some good episodes, though (the social app one is brilliant with all the 1970s sci-fi references  :lol:), even if it's not as fresh. I'd just skip season 4 - a lot of the key creative team was absent for that one but returned for 5th.

Syt

I haven't watched Community, but I see it's on Netflix now. So I suppose it's worth it?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2020, 03:17:57 AM
I haven't watched Community, but I see it's on Netflix now. So I suppose it's worth it?

Absolutely. As Tyr mentioned and as we discussed earlier, it takes some patience at first, as it's nont brilliant from the get go. The first half of the first season it looks like a somehow conventional sitcom with extravagant characters, but as it gets into the second half of the season the zaniness and bizarreness is dialed up to 11 and ends up being quite memorable.

celedhring

I watch Community during my at-home workouts, and I'm about to finish it. I've decided to continue with the "rewatch great sitcoms of this age" theme and queue Parks & Rec up next  :D

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 24, 2020, 04:17:41 AM
I watch Community during my at-home workouts, and I'm about to finish it. I've decided to continue with the "rewatch great sitcoms of this age" theme and queue Parks & Rec up next  :D

They've just announced that they're doing a new story for charity next week, each actor from their home. Zoom meeting at Pawnee?  :lol:

Sheilbh

Nice. That's another show that took a little while to find out what it was about.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2020, 04:50:45 AM
Nice. That's another show that took a little while to find out what it was about.

I'll probably go straight to season 2 on that one.

Josquius

:yes:

I remember trying Parks and Rec after the office finished when it was new, a good decade ago. Didn't like it and dropped it within an episode or two.
Watched it all last year though, it gets awesome.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 24, 2020, 05:22:44 AM

:yes:

I remember trying Parks and Rec after the office finished when it was new, a good decade ago. Didn't like it and dropped it within an episode or two.
Watched it all last year though, it gets awesome.

The first Parks & Rec season is a bit of a dud, yeah, as they struggled to get the tone and the characters' relationships right. Thankfully it's short, so you get soon to the good stuff from the 2nd season on.

Ok, I've now just realized that Cel meant going straight to Parks & Rec 2nd season, rather than Community.  :lol: