News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2020, 09:33:12 AM
Westworld - it started well but once again they get undone by their obsession with twists and plot pyrotechnics. Stopped caring.

Only the first season exists
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on April 27, 2020, 09:15:44 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2020, 08:59:06 AM
Last Kingdom season 4 is up on Netflix

Thanks CC that's reminded me to watch season 3.  :)

Had netflix for a few weeks now and only watch two films and a half episode of last kingdom. :Embarrass:

You are welcome  :) - you might also want to take a look at Messiah.

Eddie Teach

1917. Just a nice walk in the country.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Waco is 2 episodes too long.  All that stuff in the stand off could have been compressed.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2020, 09:58:52 AM

Had netflix for a few weeks now and only watch two films and a half episode of last kingdom. :Embarrass:

Thanks for that recommendation, I've enjoyed the three episodes i've now seen.  I think my sister will also like it.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Molly's Game - Jessica Chastain as a disgraced skier that becomes the poker princess of NY & LA and hires Idris Elba as a lawyer when the feds come knocking. There's actually not much story in this when you look at it, and it's nearly 150 min long. Plus no names are named which reduces the whole juiciness of it. But Sorkin dialogue and good performances keep it entertaining throughout. The movie goes at great length to show you how good a person Molly was despite working in gambling, and since the film was done with her collaboration I'm not sure how truthful it is. Again, the film is quite watchable, stealing an analogy used often used with actors Sorkin could probably write a phone book and make it entertaining.

Grey Fox

Elijah Wood is the only name you need to know.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Westworld - it started well but once again they get undone by their obsession with twists and plot pyrotechnics. Stopped caring.

yup. It's too hard to follow, not worth the time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2020, 06:05:14 AM

I thought it was Toby Maguire.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on April 28, 2020, 12:02:00 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 27, 2020, 09:58:52 AM

Thanks for that recommendation, I've enjoyed the three episodes i've now seen.  I think my sister will also like it.  :)

:thumbsup:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 28, 2020, 09:18:35 AM

:hide:

Yes. I confused the 2.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2020, 10:52:56 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2020, 10:49:30 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 28, 2020, 09:18:35 AM

:hide:

Yes. I confused the 2.

He's won MTV Best Kiss FFS. :angry:

Kirsten won that. He was a bystander.

Iormlund

Quote from: HVC on April 27, 2020, 09:51:34 AM

Only the first season exists

The Indian Chief episode from season 2 is one of my favorites. Other than that, agreed.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2020, 10:42:30 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2020, 09:42:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2020, 07:27:03 AM

Given that you're the one with less exposure to the show, would you mind sharing your impression a bit further?  :)

Be happy to. I have deliberately not looked up reviews etc.

My initial impression was that this was going to be a comedy in which each episode was more or less the same set-up: the protagonist attempts, through some elaborate lying, to convince everyone she deserves to be in the Good Place, and the comedy comes from how she goes about it.

As the season progresses, I am coming to be of the view that the Good Place is, basically, a sort of post-Mortem training exercise, deliberately set up to teach her to be a better person. The "mistake" is not a mistake, in other words, but a deliberate plan.

My concern with the show is that, if I am right, once this revelation drops, there is no-where for the show to go.

Well, if that's your impression and you're liking it so far, I think you're really going to enjoy the show.  :)

There's also plenty of philosophy on it, btw, it's not a gimmick.

I've been watching this show too after reading this exchange.  Binged it almost (though the episodes and seasons aren't that long) - I'm mid-way through season 2.

I think I might have read what the twist at the end of season 1 was, since I have heard of this show in the past.  I could see that coming from a mile away, even though the show was still enjoyable in how it got there.

The show has even given me an interest in philosophy, which is not a topic I've ever been interested in before (outside of political philosophy, that is).

Season 2 though kind of takes the concept and really cranks it up.  No idea where the show is going now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.