News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on May 01, 2020, 02:20:31 PM
CB and I have been watching "The Muppet Show."  Last night we got to the episode with Jaye P. Morgan.  I vaguely remember her from "The Gong Show," and went looking for some clips and... er... wow they did a lot of cocaine in the 70s.  Here's the clip that got her fired (NSFW):

Gene Gene the Dancing Machine

and another favorite:

Have You Got a Nickel

Interesting. All I've known about The Gong Show has been from Zappa lyrics.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I'm watching The Artist and it struck me that maybe we're not supposed to watch Weinstein movies any more. :unsure:

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2020, 03:44:18 AM
I'm watching The Artist and it struck me that maybe we're not supposed to watch Weinstein movies any more. :unsure:

Love the artist, not the man.

Actually, don't love The Artist either.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 01, 2020, 03:23:22 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2020, 02:08:39 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 01, 2020, 12:09:56 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2020, 11:58:07 AM
Tales of the Loop is a show that in theory I should love, but it bores me. The pace is languid and I don't find the stories particularly compelling (at least the first two eps). Does it get better?

No idea, but please do get in the What we do in the Shadows conversation.  :P

"Unexpected riches!"

That whole subplot was amazing.  :lol:

The season's been great. This show is the only reason I still keep track of what day of the week it is so I can check every Thursday.

Syt

Checking period movies and series on Netflix, there seem to be quite an amount of Spanish productions. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2020, 07:44:16 AM
Checking period movies and series on Netflix, there seem to be quite an amount of Spanish productions. :unsure:

Cel will be able to give you more details, but yeah, Netflix has been producing a lot of content in Spain in the last couple of years.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 07:55:10 AM

Cel will be able to give you more details, but yeah, Netflix has been producing a lot of content in Spain in the last couple of years.
And Mexico/Latin America! I think the Crime Diaries series is good, esepecially the first one "The Candidate" and Netflix has a couple of other documentaries/series in the period which are worth watching. Not sure if 1990s Mexico is "period" yet :lol:

And La Casa de las Flores is one of the funnest, campest things on TV.

Although I really enjoyed the Ministry of Time.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Even their Bolivar series is a Spanish/Colombian co-production.  I thought that was kind of funny.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Netflix has massive facilities in Madrid and has become the largest fiction producer in Spain, and one of the largest in Spanish language. For all accounts it's working for them, they have 6 million subscribers over here, which is 1/3 of all Spanish homes.

And yes, Spanish language soaps are again a solid hit all over the world  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 04:02:32 AM

Producers aren't artists.   :huh:

I enjoyed that film.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 02, 2020, 08:48:23 AM

And Mexico/Latin America! I think the Crime Diaries series is good, esepecially the first one "The Candidate" and Netflix has a couple of other documentaries/series in the period which are worth watching. Not sure if 1990s Mexico is "period" yet :lol:

The Ministry of Time was not made by Netflix, though, it's a TVE show, our BBC equivalent, I guess Netflix does the international distribution.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 10:03:21 AMAnd yes, Spanish language soaps are again a solid hit all over the world  :lol:

Recovering their rightful place in the tv landscape, which had been usurped by Turkish soaps.  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 02, 2020, 10:05:26 AM

I enjoyed that film.

Tell them that to their face  :P

Now, talking seriosuly, some are, some aren't. The influence of a producer on the artistic content of a movie can't be denied and some do involve themselves quite a bit in the creative process - particularly in Europe, and I can talk from experience here.

Also, there are a few historical examples where the producer was the main creative force of a film rather than the people they hired to execute that vision (David O'Selznick being the quintessential example).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 02, 2020, 10:05:26 AM

I enjoyed that film.
I've got more issues with Woody Allen, Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey films to be honest :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 02, 2020, 08:48:23 AM

The Ministry of Time was not made by Netflix, though, it's a TVE show, our BBC equivalent, I guess Netflix does the international distribution.

In Spain it's actually on HBO.