Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 01, 2020, 12:44:35 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 08:14:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2020, 06:33:46 PM
Karine Vanasse

:mmm:

She is cute, but I think among all the current actresses, the young lady playing Donalda in Les belles histoires... is the cutest one.

10 years will do that  :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 10:03:21 AMAnd yes, Spanish language soaps are again a solid hit all over the world  :lol:

Recovering their rightful place in the tv landscape, which had been usurped by Turkish soaps.  :lol:

It looks like the Korean ones are starting to take over here. :o
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 30, 2020, 05:16:53 PM
Normal People.

I haven't read the book (yet) - but know it's had a huge impact. But the BBC/Hulu (and I assume RTE) adaptation is incredible. The best and most painfully evocative show about first love I've ever seen. The two leads are astonishing, it's beautifully shot and just raw at certain points.

Can't recommend it enough. And I need to read the book.
Finished now. This is the best thing I've seen since Fleabag. Absolutely incredible.

And as the great Marian Keyes tweeted about it: half nostalgic for teenage/early twenties years and half weak with gratitude I'll never be young again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

The proliferation of entertainment choices is killing conversation about entertainment.  :(

The Larch

Quote from: Savonarola on May 02, 2020, 05:47:11 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 10:03:21 AMAnd yes, Spanish language soaps are again a solid hit all over the world  :lol:

Recovering their rightful place in the tv landscape, which had been usurped by Turkish soaps.  :lol:

It looks like the Korean ones are starting to take over here. :o

There are a few of them around here as well, but I don't think they're as prevalent. I've been told that in Eastern Europe another heavy source of soaps is India.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 02, 2020, 04:37:55 PM
His Civil War doc was great but leans a little too heavily on Shelby Foote. Barbara Fields should have gotten more screen time, too.

I watch the episode about Gettysburg every July 4th.  :bowler:

His early episodes have some lost cause type nonsense in it but that was just a lot more common back in 1990.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 01:11:41 PM
Even if you don't give a crap about baseball?

Maybe the early ones might be kind of interesting even if you don't really like baseball. And the Jackie Robinson stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2020, 01:08:38 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 01:00:23 PM
Anyway, after watching the Ken Burns episode in Community I realized I've never actually watched a Ken Burns doc, so I've started with the Vietnam one.

The Baseball one is excellent. And the Civil War one. Though you might be tired of hearing Ashokan Farewell on violin after that one. :P
I never got around to watching it and now I refuse to because it has Ed Bearss in it. That guy was a complete and total piece of shit to me when I met him and I may or may not gleefully read of his death some day.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 02, 2020, 09:55:39 PM
I never got around to watching it and now I refuse to because it has Ed Bearss in it. That guy was a complete and total piece of shit to me when I met him and I may or may not gleefully read of his death some day.

Really? He is kind of a ridiculous goof in the documentary.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2020, 11:36:00 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 02, 2020, 09:55:39 PM

Really? He is kind of a ridiculous goof in the documentary.
He can apparently be incredibly charming and has a cult of personality built up around him. I don't know if he was having an off day or what, but he was one of the worst humans I've had  to interact with in my decades of working with the public. He was a slightly less horrible but still awful human to my co-workers at the NPS site we worked at.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Damn, the 'Nam doc has 2 hour episodes  :lol:

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on May 03, 2020, 02:45:10 AM

I've been watching Killing Eve and getting into it. Lots of nasty killings!

mongers

'12 strong' - based on a true story, apparently. I think they were so keen on telling a story of complete American heroism, that I'm guessing some of the historical details were bent to fit that aim?

[spoiler]Portraying General Dostum is an out and out Afghan hero, personally leading cavalry charges against the evil taliban, seams at odds with the little I've read about him. [/spoiler]

2 camo-AR15s out of 5.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on May 03, 2020, 02:45:10 AM

Yeah, it's very long - it's like 18 hours of documentary. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Tried to watch Midway with low expectations, lasted all of 15 minutes. Dreadful, just dreadful.