TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 02, 2020, 12:50:52 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 02, 2020, 10:05:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 04:02:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2020, 03:44:18 AM
I'm watching The Artist and it struck me that maybe we're not supposed to watch Weinstein movies any more. :unsure:

Love the artist, not the man.

Actually, don't love The Artist either.

Producers aren't artists.   :huh:

I enjoyed that film.
I've got more issues with Woody Allen, Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey films to be honest :mellow:

I have a lot of issues with Bryan Singer films too, most of them are pretty mediocre  :P

Some of Woody Allen's films were already pretty creepy even without taking into account the abuse allegations...

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 12:53:50 PM
I have a lot of issues with Bryan Singer films too, most of them are pretty mediocre  :P

Some of Woody Allen's films were already pretty creepy even without taking into account the abuse allegations...
Also - those two kind of seem a little bit too close to the allegations and the content of their film for my tastes.

With Spacey it's just that even I - who am not involved in film or London theatre - had heard rumours about him, but kind of kept going and raving about him as a performer.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Same with Weinstein really. When I lived in NYC 10 years ago you'd also hear all the rumours about him. Very nasty ones.

celedhring

Anyway, after watching the Ken Burns episode in Community I realized I've never actually watched a Ken Burns doc, so I've started with the Vietnam one.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 01:00:23 PM
I realized I've never actually watched a Ken Burns doc,

W.T.F.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 12:51:34 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 02, 2020, 08:48:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 07:55:10 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2020, 07:44:16 AM
Checking period movies and series on Netflix, there seem to be quite an amount of Spanish productions. :unsure:

Cel will be able to give you more details, but yeah, Netflix has been producing a lot of content in Spain in the last couple of years.
And Mexico/Latin America! I think the Crime Diaries series is good, esepecially the first one "The Candidate" and Netflix has a couple of other documentaries/series in the period which are worth watching. Not sure if 1990s Mexico is "period" yet :lol:

And La Casa de las Flores is one of the funnest, campest things on TV.

Although I really enjoyed the Ministry of Time.

The Ministry of Time was not made by Netflix, though, it's a TVE show, our BBC equivalent, I guess Netflix does the international distribution.

In Spain it's actually on HBO.

But it was originally on TVE, it only went to HBO after TVE refused to continue with it, so HBO picked it up afterwards. Right? I mean, I kinda stopped following it after the 2nd season or so.  :P

Syt

Anyway, after watching the Ken Burns episode in Community I realized I've never actually watched a Ken Burns doc, so I've started with the Vietnam one.

The Baseball one is excellent. And the Civil War one. Though you might be tired of hearing Ashokan Farewell on violin after that one. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2020, 01:08:38 PM

The Baseball one is excellent. And the Civil War one. Though you might be tired of hearing Ashokan Farewell on violin after that one. :P

Even if you don't give a crap about baseball?

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 01:07:43 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 12:51:34 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 10:16:52 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 02, 2020, 08:48:23 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 02, 2020, 07:55:10 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2020, 07:44:16 AM
Checking period movies and series on Netflix, there seem to be quite an amount of Spanish productions. :unsure:

Cel will be able to give you more details, but yeah, Netflix has been producing a lot of content in Spain in the last couple of years.
And Mexico/Latin America! I think the Crime Diaries series is good, esepecially the first one "The Candidate" and Netflix has a couple of other documentaries/series in the period which are worth watching. Not sure if 1990s Mexico is "period" yet :lol:

And La Casa de las Flores is one of the funnest, campest things on TV.

Although I really enjoyed the Ministry of Time.

The Ministry of Time was not made by Netflix, though, it's a TVE show, our BBC equivalent, I guess Netflix does the international distribution.

In Spain it's actually on HBO.

But it was originally on TVE, it only went to HBO after TVE refused to continue with it, so HBO picked it up afterwards. Right? I mean, I kinda stopped following it after the 2nd season or so.  :P

No, no. It's still TVE. They just partnered with HBO for this season.

I never watched past the second season either, and I know most of the writing team and one of the directors  :P

Duque de Bragança

I might get Ministy of Time on blu-ray next time I order something from Spain.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 02, 2020, 01:11:41 PM
Even if you don't give a crap about baseball?

Then maybe not.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on May 02, 2020, 01:08:38 PM

I am actually watching the oner on country music.

And in general, I could not give a shit about country music.

But is is really, really fucking good.

I think he could make a documentary about water boiling and I would like it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Vietnam one is good, but it is looooong.

I would start with the civil war one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

His Civil War doc was great but leans a little too heavily on Shelby Foote. Barbara Fields should have gotten more screen time, too.

I watch the episode about Gettysburg every July 4th.  :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on May 02, 2020, 03:23:09 PM

Vietnam one is good, but it is looooong.

I would start with the civil war one.

The Vietnam one really creeped me out and I don't know exactly why.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017