News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Normal People.

I haven't read the book (yet) - but know it's had a huge impact. But the BBC/Hulu (and I assume RTE) adaptation is incredible. The best and most painfully evocative show about first love I've ever seen. The two leads are astonishing, it's beautifully shot and just raw at certain points.

Can't recommend it enough. And I need to read the book.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Bon Cop, Bad Cop 2.

Quebec movie, available in english, highly recommended, but I've no idea how some of it will sound.  Stars Colm Feore as a now RCMP agent and Patrick Huard as a Quebec provincial police undercover investigator.

It is hilarious.  Sort of like Bad Boys with less explosions (&less bullets), but even less serious.  The first one dealt mostly with the stuck-up, by-the-book stereotype approach of English Canada vs the unruly ways of Quebec.  The second one still has a bit of that, with a few good jokes about provincial-federal relationships thrown in for good measure :D

This time they investigate a series of car theft by Montreal mafia's #2, apparently linked to something bigger, in the US.  Totally silly plot, but it's a lot of fun, especially when Huard's character gets arrested in a small US town and has to deal with the local sheriff.

Plays heavily into stereotype, but I really like that kind of jokes.

Cardinal, season 4
Canadian series, with Billy Campbell (Helix) as detective John Cardinal and Karine Vanasse (Revenge) as detective Lise Delorme.  The setting is northern Ontario and that's really beautiful, instead of the generic forests of BC (seriously, they got to use the same place over&over&over for all shows filmed in Canada involving a forest) or some generic city, this feels likes it could have been shot in my backyard.  The last season is in winter, and the way the murders are done, combined with the setting... it's chilly, pun intended.

I highly recommend you binge watch the 4 seasons, but I have no idea if it's available on streaming somewhere.

Simultanous releases in French&English.  I'm not sure if Vanasse dubs herself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on April 30, 2020, 08:14:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 30, 2020, 06:33:46 PM
Karine Vanasse

:mmm:

She is cute, but I think among all the current actresses, the young lady playing Donalda in Les belles histoires... is the cutest one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: The Larch on April 29, 2020, 02:41:19 PM
Just watched the 3rd What we do in the shadows episode for the 2nd season. The Superb Owl party.  :lol:

And just watched the 4th one, it gets better!  :lol: Guillermo is the man.

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on May 01, 2020, 09:25:38 AM
Just watched the 3rd What we do in the shadows episode for the 2nd season. The Superb Owl party.  :lol:

So annoyed this is out in the UK yet. Lover the first series (which I thought was much better than the film)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on May 01, 2020, 10:22:30 AM

So annoyed this is out in the UK yet. Lover the first series (which I thought was much better than the film)
Same (except I quite liked the film). I saw Larch's first post and immediately checked iPlayer but it's not out yet :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

I liked the film too but the TV show is on another level.

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on May 01, 2020, 10:22:30 AM

I think the TV format suits it better, it helps to keep the funny parts tight and the jokes from being spread too thin. I still enjoyed the film as well.

celedhring

Tales of the Loop is a show that in theory I should love, but it bores me. The pace is languid and I don't find the stories particularly compelling (at least the first two eps). Does it get better?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2020, 11:58:07 AM
Tales of the Loop is a show that in theory I should love, but it bores me. The pace is languid and I don't find the stories particularly compelling (at least the first two eps). Does it get better?

No idea, but please do get in the What we do in the Shadows conversation.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 01, 2020, 12:09:56 PM

"Unexpected riches!"

Savonarola

CB and I have been watching "The Muppet Show."  Last night we got to the episode with Jaye P. Morgan.  I vaguely remember her from "The Gong Show," and went looking for some clips and... er... wow they did a lot of cocaine in the 70s.  Here's the clip that got her fired (NSFW):

Gene Gene the Dancing Machine

and another favorite:

Have You Got a Nickel
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Not really. The overall relationships among characters gets easier to follow, but the plots don't become any more compelling.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2020, 02:08:39 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 01, 2020, 12:09:56 PM

"Unexpected riches!"

That whole subplot was amazing.  :lol: