News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

'Contagion' - a plot all too familiar now. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2020, 01:56:33 AM
Season 2 of What we do in the Shadows is on HBO Spain  :w00t:

Finally watched the first two episodes yesterday. It's funny how such a little thing of being able to watch this show again made me so happy. Like meeting old friends.  :lol:

I have the feeling that Guillermo will be the standout character this season.  :ph34r:

Josquius

I lost my body - Holy low framerate Batman. Pretty obvious and by the book film that thinks its more than it is.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2020, 04:51:52 AM

Finally watched the first two episodes yesterday. It's funny how such a little thing of being able to watch this show again made me so happy. Like meeting old friends.  :lol:

I have the feeling that Guillermo will be the standout character this season.  :ph34r:

Is it me or does Haley Joel Osment only get to play assholes since he grew up?  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2020, 04:58:49 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 20, 2020, 04:51:52 AM

Is it me or does Haley Joel Osment only get to play assholes since he grew up?  :lol:

Yeah, that seems to be his current on-screen persona. :lol: I'd say jerk rather than asshole, though. He was also in Silicon Valley, right?  :hmm:

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on April 19, 2020, 09:19:18 PM
So I really don't watch much TV (usually spend my time surfing the web/playing video games).  When I do watch TV, I'm usually looking for a show I can have on in the background, while I make supper / do laundry / whatever.  So it has to be a show that's good, but doesn't require too much attention.

So the other night I settled on Trailer Park Boys.

It's a show I've been aware of for 20 years.  It's a Canadian cable show (or at least it was, it's now on Netflix).  When I've seen it in the past I wasn't really taken with it.

But anyways, started watching it the other day while folding laundry.  It's actually pretty decent.  I specially like the conceit that it's a "mockumentary" so the characters are being followed by a film crew, which they often acknowledge - like when you see the characters do a robbery of a grocery store, and the CCTV footage includes the film crew following the characters as they go.

Now I'm only into season 2- I see it goes up to season 12 (and then following that an animated show) and I'm not sure the concept has that much staying power.

Best episode is when they kidnap Rush's guitar player, Alex Lifeson.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Watching Tales from the Loop. I'm enjoying this - character-driven science fantasy. Very atmospheric and slow-moving, which may be offputting for some, but I like it. Reminds me a bit of Tarkovsky.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2020, 10:12:03 AM
Watching Tales from the Loop. I'm enjoying this - character-driven science fantasy. Very atmospheric and slow-moving, which may be offputting for some, but I like it. Reminds me a bit of Tarkovsky.

I remember quite a few years ago I was at the dinosaur section of the Natural History Museum in Stockholm, and I thought that the drawings of the different dinosaurs in their natural habitats were awesome in style and composition and that the artist really knew his shit. The artist wasn't named, but years later I found out that it was Simon Stålenhag, who is now famous (and was unknown at the time).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Meanwhile the Tyr-Garbon Temporary Armistice Working Group, disagrees.

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2020, 05:52:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2020, 03:53:26 PM
2 eps of tales from the loop... The plots are really obvious, you see them coming a mile away. And the melancholic tone feels awfully forced. I'm not sure if I'll push myself through.

That's when I stopped too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I managed to finish the series, but definitely found it slow and depressing at times.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2020, 10:38:56 AM

Meanwhile the Tyr-Garbon Temporary Armistice Working Group, disagrees.

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2020, 05:52:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 18, 2020, 03:53:26 PM
2 eps of tales from the loop... The plots are really obvious, you see them coming a mile away. And the melancholic tone feels awfully forced. I'm not sure if I'll push myself through.

That's when I stopped too.

It's clearly not going to be everyone's cup of tea.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

The tv show nos4a2 season 2 starts in June. Cool thriller show.  :)

KRonn

I've been recording and watching some oldies. Hogan's Heroes, Andy Griffith show. Fun stuff and blasts from the past! :)

celedhring

Day of the Soldado. Much weaker than the first Sicario, but still entertaining. It's just plays more like a regular Hollywood thriller.

Duque de Bragança

That's the one with the Daesh-Mexican cartels alliance against the US?
Makes '80s Cannon work realistic.  :P