TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2020, 02:27:40 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 13, 2020, 09:11:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 13, 2020, 07:33:34 AM
Killing Eve season 3. Villanelle speaking Catalan  :wub:

I haven't watched that show but have seen some pretty good previews. How is it, a good show? Looks like a drama/thriller with murder and intrigue.

It's a drama/thriller but it carries a heavy dose of dark comedy. I think it's great, but I suppose you have to dig the tone.

And it focuses on two women. One of which is really hot.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on April 14, 2020, 07:01:54 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 14, 2020, 02:27:40 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 13, 2020, 09:11:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 13, 2020, 07:33:34 AM
Killing Eve season 3. Villanelle speaking Catalan  :wub:

I haven't watched that show but have seen some pretty good previews. How is it, a good show? Looks like a drama/thriller with murder and intrigue.

It's a drama/thriller but it carries a heavy dose of dark comedy. I think it's great, but I suppose you have to dig the tone.

And it focuses on two women. One of which is really hot.

:)

The Brain

United 93. I accidentally caught the later parts of it on TV years ago and saw that it was good. Now I finally watched the whole thing. I think it's a great, great movie. Very difficult subject matter that I think it handles wonderfully.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

:w00t: :mmm:

I'm so hyped for this, especially after Blade Runner 2049.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I may give the book another try. I've bounced off of it several times.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on April 15, 2020, 03:33:40 PM

You find the Kareem Gom Jabbar disturbing?

Sheilbh

I read it. But I wouldn't rave about it :ph34r:

But I kind of love the Lynch version and it's vision and would love to see that as maybe a more typical film. With the vision maybe dialed back just a tad. And a more normal cast. And less Sting.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

The new Dune looks gorgeous, I want to be cautiously optimistic about it. Let's see if we get a trailer at some point in the next few days.

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2020, 03:57:55 PM
I read it. But I wouldn't rave about it :ph34r:

The first novel is a true SF classic, the rest of the series is skippable.

QuoteBut I kind of love the Lynch version and it's vision and would love to see that as maybe a more typical film. With the vision maybe dialed back just a tad. And a more normal cast. And less Sting.

The Lynch version is a classic, yeah, and the tale of its production is a story by itself, but it is highly... let's say idyosincratic. :P Fans of the novel are not really very keen on it, due to some of the liberties that Lynch took in adapting it. Funnily enough some of those changes seem to have somehow become part of the official Dune lore, rather than the novel's portrayal.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on April 15, 2020, 05:12:46 PM
Funnily enough some of those changes seem to have somehow become part of the official Dune lore, rather than the novel's portrayal.
Please elaborate :)
I have never read the novels, but I am curious.  I like the movies and I've played all the games :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

The Lynch version is a classic, yeah, and the tale of its production is a story by itself, but it is highly... let's say idyosincratic. :P Fans of the novel are not really very keen on it, due to some of the liberties that Lynch took in adapting it. Funnily enough some of those changes seem to have somehow become part of the official Dune lore, rather than the novel's portrayal.
That's kinda cool - I can see why though. It's such a crazily complete, baroque world even if it's not necessarily an entirely successful film in more normal ways. It's very realised.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on April 15, 2020, 05:55:05 PM
Funnily enough some of those changes seem to have somehow become part of the official Dune lore, rather than the novel's portrayal.
Please elaborate :)
I have never read the novels, but I am curious.  I like the movies and I've played all the games :)

Mmm, now I realize I should have said "popular depiction" rather than lore, given that it has more to do with visual and cosmetic traits. For instance, most of the Harkonen's freakier stuff in the Lynch movie doesn't appear at all in the novel. First thing that comes to mind is the depiction of Baron Harkonen, in the novel it is mentioned that he wears an antigravity contraption to be able to move properly due to his grotesque obesity. In the movie this is updated to straight up flying device. Almost all the visually grotesque Harkonen stuff from the Lynch movie is an original creation.

Admiral Yi

The biggest change was the screaming guns.  :rolleyes:

Oexmelin

From memory:

Yes, the sonic devices are the biggest change - which the Dune games took on. In the books, the Weirding Way is a martial art. IIRC, it was a change Herbert was okay with, because of the difficulty of representing the potential of the weirding way in a sufficiently foreign way.

The other is the guild space / navigators / space travel element, which is admittedly represented in a much abstract / trippy way in the Lynch movie (and not super well explained in the books, which I usually think is one of its strengths). IIRC, the guild navigators use spice to calculate the correct trajectory for space travel, which is then performed by the ship, not by them.

Harkonnen heart plugs did not exist. Vladimir Harkonnen is played way over the top for his cunning and scheming ways. The movie made him gross, as a shorthand for decadence and corruption. This was also taken on by the video games.

The "Voice" has a clear audible character, whereas, again IIRC, it's really just hitting on subconscious brain compulsions.

Paul is supposed to be much younger. This may work better with Chalamet's juvenile face.

However, Lynch's biggest contribution has been to the aesthetics of the world Dune, which most subsequent games have taken on, in one way or another. 
Que le grand cric me croque !