News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Hustlers - like Rocket Man I liked this a lot more than I thought I would.

It's got some really good central performances, especially J-Lo and Constance Wu. It's well made and I think really well-judged between the funny bits and the sort-of more serious side, it reminded me a little bit of Widows mixed with Magic Mike (but, I'd say, not as good as either - although I think Widows is one of the best films I've seen in the last few years so...). But I think what makes it really work is the chemistry between the dancers and the scenes where they're just together, which are just a delight.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Jo Jo Rabbit for rent on YouTube.  :yeah:

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on April 04, 2020, 05:18:30 AM
Can anyone recommend some movies where they travel? I have a serious urge to travel to somewhere far away but of course I can't and I have no idea when it might be possible to do again, so I turned to movies and watched The Darjeeling Limited, it helped a bit.

From the Earth to the Moon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Finished Picard.

[spoiler]Silly ending.

Why would Riker command a huge fleet as a reserve captain? Why can he even get a command so quickly? And isn't it established earlier that he was to be an admiral? Couldn't they just have made him a retired admiral and then it would just be huge stretch to have him command a massive fleet.

If I were an intergalactic guardian looking out for and safeguarding new advanced life and if I got a signal from that new life and that signal was suddenly inexplicable stopped whilst there's a large star ship fleet around the originating spot, well... Then I would investigate what the fuck was going on, not just go back into the void.

Whilst fun, this series was just so badly thought through.[/spoiler]

Threviel

[spoiler]Also, I wouldn't design my spaceship to look like a tentacle monster creeping up from the mouth of hell. That's just silly.

They should have just showed the open gate without indicating what's coming.[/spoiler]

derspiess

I just finished the Russian-produced Trotsky series on Netflix.  Held my attention.  Anyone else see it?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Anybody here watching Mythic Quest? It depressed me to no end that F. Murray Abraham's character (a hasbeen sci-fi writer) plays the same song as me when he tries to set the mood for writing  :lol: :(

The show's cute. Not bad, not great. It's a workplace comedy set in a videogame studio.

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2020, 07:45:26 AM
I just finished the Russian-produced Trotsky series on Netflix.  Held my attention.  Anyone else see it?

I thought it was alright, if a bit over sensationalized.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 07, 2020, 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2020, 07:45:26 AM

I thought it was alright, if a bit over sensationalized.

Did they Basic Instinct it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on April 07, 2020, 08:47:21 AM
Anybody here watching Mythic Quest? It depressed me to no end that F. Murray Abraham's character (a hasbeen sci-fi writer) plays the same song as me when he tries to set the mood for writing  :lol: :(

The show's cute. Not bad, not great. It's a workplace comedy set in a videogame studio.

What song is that?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 07, 2020, 10:57:35 AM

What song is that?

Shine on you crazy diamond.

I mean, I don't play it *always*, but it's on the rotation.

MadImmortalMan

I watched some episodes of Thieves of the Woods. It's a eighteenth century robin hood story set in Flanders. With subtitles, naturally. Full of cliche tropes like evil rich people, stupid nobility, returning war hero turned outlaw, etc. Some of them mercilessly beaten like zombified equines.

What I learned: Flanders is just like Dagobah. Dark, misty all the time and a teeming swamp full of secret dangers. Maybe this was made by Wallonians with unsavory views of the place.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on April 02, 2020, 05:17:06 PM
Jojo Rabbit was pretty good :)
Very Wes Anderson.

I think I'll rent that one tonight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

When I see that man's name this is all I can think about.

Syt

Loved the new episode of Better Call Saul. Very Western/Noir style - the quick, easy job that turns very, very bad. :D

Major "oh no" moment was [spoiler]Kim meeting Lalo. This will most certainly lead to pain down the line, because now Lalo has something that he can use to put the hurt on Jimmy/Saul if he needs to.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.