News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2020, 07:43:54 AM
I don't care for true crime shows either, but this one drew me in because of all the colorful personalities and general trainwreckness of the thing. But I admit there's a large degree of "let's laugh at rednecks" component that makes me feel slightly guilty.  :blush:
Yeah I get that. But I sort of think a lot of the rednecks are the most sympathetic characters - all of the staff in Joe Exotic's zoo for example are very sympathetic. They're the sort of everymen in this hellscape of clashing egos.

I feel like the real centre and humour is in the weird personalities at the heart of the film so Joe Exotic, Carol Baskin and "Dr" "Bhagavan" Antle - who clearly all thought they'd come across well.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2020, 01:37:10 PM
Does anyone here have experience with Mubi?

https://mubi.com/showing

It seems a streaming service more on the arthouse side of things. I kind of like their concept that every movie is on for 30 days before being replaced by a new one, meaning you have a program of 30 changing movies.

Had it a while on my PS3. One of the best alternative selections in legal streaming as in not all movies before 1990 are arthouse unlike other services.  :P
Had it linked to my German PSN account which caused some problems later on so I suggest not using a German adress and their questionable censorship laws.
Should not be a problem with Austrian residence.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2020, 07:05:27 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2020, 05:39:03 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2020, 11:01:28 AM
Since I've fallen to the depths of watching Homeland, I think I'll give this Tiger King thing a try. 15 days into quarantine and I'm alarmingly running out of shows to watch.

Let me guess, the non-Israeli version?

Yes.

I have watched the Israeli version too.

You must be desperate then. :D Points for watching the original though. :)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on March 30, 2020, 01:31:47 PM
Carlos (2010)

Three part Mini-series that follows Carlos the Jackal's career from 1973 to his capture in 1994.  This is more of a greatest hits compilation than a story; mostly it chronicles Carlos's most notorious crimes (or attempted crimes; as with a few unfortunate exceptions most of his nefarious deeds went hilariously awry.)  In the third part, when Carlos has become "The Godfather of European Terrorism" the cinematography grows extremely dim; just like in "The Godfather."  I thought that was clever.  It's also made explicit that Carlos wanted to go out in a blaze of glory; which, of course, he didn't.  Today he's still in a French prison.

It's a great mini-series, one of my favourites. :) Carlos does look like a vain arsehole by the end. Director had dialogue in half a dozen languages, nice for authenticity. I liked the part [spoiler]when he said to Basque terrorists they could have a shot at negotiations/political struggle. Not too divorced from reality yet.[/spoiler]
There is a hilariously bad dubbed version with crappy accents in French though.

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 31, 2020, 08:42:28 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 30, 2020, 07:05:27 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 30, 2020, 05:39:03 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 29, 2020, 11:01:28 AM
Since I've fallen to the depths of watching Homeland, I think I'll give this Tiger King thing a try. 15 days into quarantine and I'm alarmingly running out of shows to watch.

Let me guess, the non-Israeli version?

Yes.

I have watched the Israeli version too.

You must be desperate then. :D Points for watching the original though. :)

I watched it last year out of "due diligence" of sorts. One of the creators was my boss at the time.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2020, 06:56:24 AM
Maybe I am weird, but all ya'lls talk so far about Tiger King gives me absolutely no interest (a negative interest, in fact) in watching it at all.  :sleep:

I can relate. It's not my usual interest, trash people doing trash people things.

But it is really well filmed, in that it just keeps ramping up the insanity. It's like a train wreck, in that it holds your interest simply because you can't believe the shit that is happening, and it just keeps getting continually *more* crazy every episode.

If it was fictional, it would not be believable.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 07:44:23 AM
Any hottness?
No.

Or rather, only if you are into tattooed, shirtless and toothless meth head dudes, which I know is not your thing. 😉

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 31, 2020, 06:56:24 AM
Maybe I am weird, but all ya'lls talk so far about Tiger King gives me absolutely no interest (a negative interest, in fact) in watching it at all.  :sleep:

It is legitimately horrible in a compelling way.

My girlfriend got me to watch it over my consdierable objections on principled grounds that this kind of trash reality TV/docutrash stuff is at best a symptom of a social ill, and at worst actually driving society to a more callous, shitty view of each other.

After watching it,

A) I think it is some of the best crafted television I've seen. Totally compelling, incredibly interesting, and will be a social meme for the next generation, and
B) Exactly as absolutely terrible in exactly the manner that made me resist watching it to begin with.

My girlfriend was all "See! I told you you would like it! I was right!" and I said something like "Yeah, that is like saying that snorting the coke really will give you a great high".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2020, 09:01:35 AM
But it is really well filmed, in that it just keeps ramping up the insanity. It's like a train wreck, in that it holds your interest simply because you can't believe the shit that is happening, and it just keeps getting continually *more* crazy every episode.

If it was fictional, it would not be believable.

Exactly. There is no way this would be even remotely believable if it were not at least based on a true story.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

You guys really missed an opportunity - you could have got Joe Exotic as President.

Absurd? Hell yes! But look who you did get ...  ;)

Josephus

meh will pass on the tiger

Instead watching The English Game. Which is like Downton Abbey for footballers
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Started watching For All Mankind at Apple+ It tries to be "Mad Men in space", but writing/directing is not nearly as brilliant. That said, it's a decent watch and fairly unique.

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2020, 05:18:57 PM
meh will pass on the tiger

Instead watching The English Game. Which is like Downton Abbey for footballers
I tried it for this reason. Seemed to have something for me and something for the girlfriend.
She did not approve.
Though seemed interesting if by the book.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Looking forward to the new series of Sunderland til I die (particularly as I'm a Charlton fan).

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on April 01, 2020, 05:56:38 AM
Looking forward to the new series of Sunderland til I die (particularly as I'm a Charlton fan).
Is it actually a good series for outsiders?
I've tried watching the Leeds one too but couldn't get into it in the same way.
██████
██████
██████